Respected Contributor

LG Premier Pro Tracfone Battery Life

I have been using this phone for one year (average usage) and suddenly the non-removable battery has to be recharged every night and is taking longer to recharge. Planned obsolescence? Anyone else having this problem? This is my first Tracfone with a non-removable battery, which means it must be tossed out if battery issues develop.Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

Re: LG Premier Pro Tracfone Battery Life

I've found this happens with some of my cell phones (tracfones) and I'm not a heavy user. 

The one time I purchased a tracfone with a replaceable battery, I had a horrible time finding the correct battery. 

Honored Contributor

You can take it somewhere that repairs cell  phones & they can replace the battery.

Go back to the retailer or go on the LG website for more information.

I agree, whether removable or not, a battery should last more than a year.

LG 

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I have been using this phone for one year (average usage) and suddenly the non-removable battery has to be recharged every night and is taking longer to recharge. Planned obsolescence? Anyone else having this problem? This is my first Tracfone with a non-removable battery, which means it must be tossed out if battery issues develop.Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

Given the relatively low cost for these phones new, replacing the battery in a shop is likely to be ineffective cost-wise. You can buy replacement batteries for anywhere from $10-$20, in some cases even including the tools needed, but the labor costs to have someone replace the battery will likely be another$30+ and when you can often buy that model of phone new for $50 or so, so the cost of replacing the battery is not so great. 

Now if you've got a $1200 phone, replacing the battery makes more sense. For the $50 or so phones though replacing the battery is just not as practical an investment.

The batteries in modern smartphones often require fairly major disassembly, then careful prying/loosening of the glue holding the old battery in place, then replacing both the battery and adhesive and reassembling everything. It's not a simple job most of the time. It's not impossible, but they don't make it easy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I agree that it is not cost effective to replace the non-removable battery. Just wanted to know if these non-removable batteries are designed to degrade 3 weeks after the one-year warranty expires.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I agree that it is not cost effective to replace the non-removable battery. Just wanted to know if these non-removable batteries are designed to degrade 3 weeks after the one-year warranty expires.

@PickyPicky3 

As a user of Tracfone for many years, and having all the major Android brands of smart phones! Mine is hardly ever turned on, so your use and mine are not comparable.

Now my wife's main cell is a Samsung S8, but she also has a backup Tracfone, again different brands. Cheaper to buy new packages most of the time from HSN, than to add months to the same phone.

She did however keep 2 of them and added to her expiration time. Nher batteries did not go dead, even after having two of them for over 2 years. And yes, she used them quite a bit, mostly because Tracfone networks worked better than her S8 Sprint service.

You asked about the battery being designed for 55 weeks, and I decided to answer your question with my experiences.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)