Honored Contributor

You were happy with your ancient flip phone so how could you be disappointed with any upgrade?   

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree @hckynut @cancun08 @cancun08 @CelticCrafter @jlkz  Interesting thread and decision!  I am still using a flip phone (by choice).  @LilacTree please keep us up-to-date on your new phone. Sounds like you have made a good choice to meet your needs.  @hckynut  If my beloved flip phone ever bites the dust, you've made some helpful points. I'll try to remember them OR may need to ask you again for suggestions.

I simply don't like using a cell phone! It stays in my car all . of . the . time.  It's really only for emergencies from my family.  If everyone else cannot reach me on my landline and/or leave a message or send an email, they don't need to talk to me. My cell number is not provided to anyone other than family and very, very close friends. I don't want it ringing when busy doing something else or interrupting a visit/lunch or dinner with friends!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

You were happy with your ancient flip phone so how could you be disappointed with any upgrade?   

@chrystaltree

@Did you happen to read @cancun08's post?  Hers was not working. 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Phone just came.  Ordered it yesterday!!  Will be reading instructions and get back here with my comments!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

My mother went back and forth about getting an iPhone and had considered a few other smart phones primarily because she thought it would be hard to use.

The iPhone was designed to be intuitive to use and that's been her experience. When she lost her iPhone she momentarily got a cheaper smart phone and she said it was much harder to understand. She went back to the 'Apple' as she calls it and hasn't looked back.

I would go into the Verizon store and play around with all the models you're considering to see which one is best for you. Yes, the iPhone is more expensive but they usually last and are easier to use. I've never had an issue with any Apple products I've owned and usually give them away to family as I upgrade.

~Live with Intention~
Honored Contributor

Re: LG K20 V "Smart Phone"

[ Edited ]

No matter the forum there seems to be one that always seems to be making all the right choices in life. What a pearl!

Wellness Forum? .

Electronics Forum? .

Community Chat Forum?  .

Among Friends Forum? .

Oh well, I have known many smarter than everyone in my lifetime, what's 1 more?  √√√√√√

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady - are you my sister from another mother! 

I'm the exact same way about the cell phone and who has the number.  I just love seeing the looks on peoples faces when they ask for a cell phone number and I tell them I don't have one. 

If I had my way, I wouldn't have one at all but my daughter and husband insist.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

No matter the forum there seems to be one that always seems to be making all the right choices in life. What a pearl!

Wellness Forum? .

Electronics Forum? .

Community Chat Forum?  .

Among Friends Forum? .

Oh well, I have known many smarter than everyone in my lifetime, what's 1 more?  √√√√√√

hckynut(john)

@hckynut

She follows me around, John . . . what can I say?

Formerly Ford1224
Esteemed Contributor

@CelticCrafter  I don't lie. I honestly tell them, "Sorry, I don't give that number out. It's for emergency use only."  Most people knew my mom had been a dementia patient for 14 years and understood. Until her death in July 2017, I did keep it in my purse. No longer have to worry about anyone on a daily basis. It lives in my car for MY emergencies. I do check it for messages from my son or DIL when returning to the car. So far, no emergencies. I have not used it at all in 2018 and I'd be thrilled if it never needs to be used again. Smiley Happy 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree  Maryanne, I had an old "dumb" phone for a number of years.  It actually was my second phone, the first was a flip phone.  I loved that (later) phone because it did everything I needed. It had a full qwerty keyboard and was great for texting and phone calls.  I was on a pay-as-you go plan with T-Mobile, so it only cost me about $10-25 per year!

That old phone suddenly bit the dust last August.  Fortunately, I had already purchased a new LGL62VL Tracfone smart phone from Evine for $80, which was actually less than I spent for my first pay-as-you-go phone purchased from HSN.  I hadn't activated it yet, so I did that right away.

This phone works great.  It came with 1350 minutes each of text/phone/data included in the price, good for 1 year, and triple minutes when I add more. So far I haven't had to buy more minutes because I use it mostly for texting, and I use my home Wi-Fi instead of the data.  I was able to choose my carrier (either Verizon or AT&T), and I chose Verizon because it has good coverage in my area.   

Laura loves cats!