Honored Contributor

LG K20 V "Smart Phone"

[ Edited ]

I just "upgraded" to an LG K20 V smart phone.  Don't laugh, I've been using an ancient LG flip phone for years which finally bit the dust.  The cost was $168 and $30 for the "upgrade," plus tax.

I talked to quite a few techs who were valiantly trying to talk me into a much more sophisticated and five-six times more expensive iPhone on time payments.  I finally ordered the LG K20 V through a salesman at Verizon where I've had my account for years.  He also thought I was being foolish to buy such an old model phone.

All I want to be able to do is get online occasionally when I'm sitting outdoors on my patio.  I can't bring my computer out there because it is a desktop.  I will use this phone for texting and emailing, and will perhaps download a few apps and take a photo occasionally.  Gaming and streaming are not my thing, so I don't care that this phone will not do that.  This is considered a "starter" phone. 

The speed is 4G LTE 700 mhz capable, and memory is 16 gb.

I can just imagine all the techs I talked to must have hung up and said "this woman must be 80 years old."  They would be right.

My question:  Am I going to be horribly disappointed given the limitations of this phone? 

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

@LilacTree

Sounds as though you have carefully considered the functions the new phone needs to serve....and you bought it.  Congratulations !

You may have to make a few adjustments as you transition to the upgrade.  Just don’t let them get you frustrated, lol!

As for being 80, I hope I will be able to handle purchases and transitions as well as you in a few years !  🌷 🙏 🌹

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@LilacTree

Sounds as though you have carefully considered the functions the new phone needs to serve....and you bought it.  Congratulations !

You may have to make a few adjustments as you transition to the upgrade.  Just don’t let them get you frustrated, lol!

As for being 80, I hope I will be able to handle purchases and transitions as well as you in a few years !  🌷 🙏 🌹

@jlkz

What a nice compliment.  Thank you!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Trusted Contributor

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but......when my old LG finally bit the dust, like you, I didn't want to spend the money for a new phone.  I bought the exact phone that you have.  It was about 2wks old & I had major problems with it.  The problems got so bad that they replaced it with a brand new one.  That one lasted 8 days before problems began.  To make a long story short, Verizon  issued me a 100% credit and I got an LG 6.  Love this phone.  No problems since day one (6 mos. ago).

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

@cancun08 wrote:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but......when my old LG finally bit the dust, like you, I didn't want to spend the money for a new phone.  I bought the exact phone that you have.  It was about 2wks old & I had major problems with it.  The problems got so bad that they replaced it with a brand new one.  That one lasted 8 days before problems began.  To make a long story short, Verizon  issued me a 100% credit and I got an LG 6.  Love this phone.  No problems since day one (6 mos. ago).

@cancun08

Hmm . . . thanks for the warning.  I will be looking out for problems and handle it the same way you did.  I would assume Verizon will handle it the same way with me as they did with you since I am an "old" customer.

No way I'm going to buy a $1,000 phone at my age and limited usage. 

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree - when my husband retired from his job last year, we needed to get him a cell phone.

All he wanted was a basic phone for emergencies or an occasional text.

The two flip phones they did have were outrageously expensive and neither of them had a QWERTY keyboard.  He went with the LGK20V.  In our case because we were adding a new line, there was a promo and we got it for free. 

It has it's quirks but he doesn't use it much at all.

Trusted Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

@cancun08 wrote:

@cancun08

Hmm . . . thanks for the warning.  I will be looking out for problems and handle it the same way you did.  I would assume Verizon will handle it the same way with me as they did with you since I am an "old" customer.

No way I'm going to buy a $1,000 phone at my age and limited usage. 

@LilacTree

My issues started out by not being able to receive phone calls.  I could get text messages but not calls.  If someone called me it went straight to voicemail and I never got a missed call message.  So if someone wanted to talk to me they had to text me and I had to call them back.  I love LG but not that model.  I would never consider Apple products, but that's just me.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Honored Contributor

@cancun08

OK, I'm taking this all in.  It's supposed to come tomorrow.  After setup, I will have my daughter call me immediately.

I'm going to look up the LG 6 and keep that in mind.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

Re: LG K20 V "Smart Phone"

[ Edited ]

Hi my friend =@LilacTree.        

Well! My smart Samsung cost me $69.99 delivered and is a Tracfone. It does everything you mention, but I do not nee 16g memory or more than a 4mp rear camera. I can text, which I don't/get on the internet, and make phone calls, which I do only to my sis in Utah because we do not have long distance on our landline. It is a quad core processor, and works fast enough to suit me. It also gets triple everything, that is why I've kept it for another 12 months.

Figures out to less than $7 per month. My wife on the other hand has a high $$$ Samsung 8 phone which might have a few more features that are useless to me. My service works when in the hospital getting Iron Infusions, hers does not. Mine has never dropped a call, hers has dropped many times while talking with me on our landline.

For what you said you use yours mainly, like photo's/texting/internet, unless you text over 1500 times in a year/want higher megapixel photo's and video or talk over 1500 minutes per year, my Samsung would fit your needs.

I have used Tracfone for over 10 years and 10 different phones and have never had any problems with them that prevented my use of any of the phones. As long as mine calls out, that is all I need it for, or it is in the turned OFF position.

Hope you are doing ok now. I am still doing great except for a minor setback with a bruised right kidney from a fall while ice skating(yes it happens even to good young skaters too.

Have Superficial Skin Cancer removed on both forearms 2 weeks ago, and 2 Iron Infusions, 1 a yesterday and the other a week prior. Low Iron Ferritin reading! Other than that, I am very physically fit and move like a "gazelle" on ice skates". 😋.

Take good care now, 

ETA. Me? Only 79 in a couple weeks!     =^..^=

JOhn(hckynut)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: LG K20 V "Smart Phone"

[ Edited ]

@hckynut

Hi John.  Actually the only reason I have an account with Verizon is because the daughter I live with just added me to hers when I first starting to use a cell phone.  That was the phone just before the LG flip that just died.  So I've only had two phones since the technology began I don't remember how many years ago. 

I like the brand Samsung.  My new laser printer is a Samsung and we had Samsung products when I was still working as a computer department manager for almost three decades in the eighties, nineties and up until 2004 when I retired. 

I am used to speed, upgraded to Intel i7 on my computer, plus Comcast just doubled their download/upload speed a week or so ago.  I think I can deal with that issue though.  I've stuck with Verizon on the phone out of just laziness and it's easy because my daughter takes care of most issues that come up with mostly her phones (her kids are on that account also).

I also need new landlines.  I bought this pair at Radio Shack (gone) years ago and no one has parts for them anymore, including batteries.  I've got them rigged up enough that they're still usable and will see how long I can hang with it.  As you can probably tell, as long as something's still working, I will keep it.  It's the batteries mostly, I don't get much time on the phone before they start beeping.

As for my health, I don't expect it will ever change for the better, new things happening all the time.  I feel I am lucky already having reached the ripe old age of 80 and will take whatever comes.  You are far, far more determined than I am about keeping your stride on . . . but I hope you stop hurting yourself.

Anyway, we'll see with this.  Everyone is being honest with me, and if I run into too much frustration, I will return this one for a better model . . . however, I will not pay big bucks for what I consider a "toy."  I only need the basics, as you indicated.

Good to hear from you, John.  ~Ford

Formerly Ford1224