Occasional Contributor

I have a 5 year old B/W NOOK just for reading. I also was given an older version of a Kindle?  Which do you all prefer? Pros? Cons?  Having trouble finding the right charging plug for each of them. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Contributor

Hands down the Kindle. I've had both and think the Kindle is far superior. It doesn't have the sharing capabilities that Nok has but in every other respect it's great. I really like Kindle Paperlight. 

Super Contributor

My DH and I both have Nooks. We got the first ones when they hit the market years ago. My DH is on his third Nook; I am on my second. We find the Nooks to be easy and with the ability to change the reading experience (font, brightness, etc,), it is the one we chose over Kindle. We did not want a tablet. I think the more stuff an ereader has, the more likely it is to have problems. So our nooks are for reading. They have Apps, several other options, but we are not interested in all the technology that our computers  already do.

For reading, I think the Nook offerings are endless. There are really good books on sale and some are free. It allows hundreds on options. We are happy with our Nooks.

tea

Respected Contributor

Nook fan all the way!  I love the bricks & mortar experience they incorporate plus in-store trouble shooting!  I purchased their first one & have been a faithful fan/user since it's inception with their first one. 

Honored Contributor

I'm on my third kindle and I love it. I have the paperwhite and it too allows you to change the font, size and brightness. I like dealing with Amazon. I have never had a nook , so I can't speak on that.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I love my Nook. Mine is HD and can act as a tablet, but I have to have wifi (it is not through the phone company, but I also don't have to pay). If I take it somewhere where I can get wifi I can use it as that. But most of the time I use it as my Nook. I have a library full of "Free Fridays" books from B&N, as well as some I've paid for. I can also share my books with other Nook users. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I vote for the Kindle and one of the reasons is that the Kindle is Amazon's baby and they stand behind their product.  If I have a question or a problem, I can call their 866 phone number any time 24/7 and I get the help I need. 

I have two Kindles and two tablets from Amazon; their customer service is tops.

Respected Contributor

Re: Kindle, or B/W Nook

[ Edited ]

I own the old Nook  and upgraded to the Glowlight Plus.  I also have Kindle Voyage and paperwhite.

Kindle has more features and noticibly faster. The lighting on the nook is better when on the kindle it seems to be off  or not uniform but the contrast on the kindle is  better so the print is easy to read. Print is too light on the nook. Other than that there is no difference. the Nook is sharper  looking with the two tone color when Kindle is solid black or solid white

I had the old 2010/2011 nook. I am rather positive it is no longer supported and you may need to get the glowlight plus.

Trusted Contributor

I have the original Nook Simple Touch and I love it!  I love the size and I love the physical page turn buttons on either side of the device.  I don't like that it doesn't have a backlight.  That didn't exist yet when I got mine.  I looked into the Nook with GlowLight, but at that time the reviews were not good.  There were a lot of complaints about tears in the screen and the light showing through.  Although I really wanted it, I wasn't comfortable purchasing it based on the reviews.

So, I bought a Kindle Paperwhite.  And I love the backlight!  I love to read in bed in the dark before I fall asleep, with the backlight on super low.  The backlight makes it all worth it to me.  I prefer the dimensions and style of the Nook though.  The Paperwhite doesn't have physical page turn buttons and I think because of that I hit the touchscreen at inopportune times and get a menu.  I usually read on my side, plus I'm left-handed and I think it's just a weird combo that leads to faulty touching.

Another reason I wasn't completely comfortable purchasing a Nook was because of B&N's financial status.  They're not doing great financially (as far as I know) and I didn't want to end up with a product from an out of business company.  I still have a gift card in my B&N account, just sitting there.  I bought a book last week and still have some leftover.  I don't purchase too much, as I'm a fan of my digital library system and the free books that are offered through B&N and Amazon.

I think I would like the Kindle Voyage because it has physical page turn buttons, but it's 200 dollars and I don't read enough to justify that cost.

To sum up, I think you will probably like whatever you choose and everyone has their own favorite device.  If you're interested in purchasing maybe wait until Mother's Day to see if there's a sale.  I saw a sale on the Paperwhite about a month ago for 90 dollars I think.  That was an excellent deal and I think that was the lowest I've seen it.  I bought mine when it was on sale for 100.  

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Respected Contributor

@Stargazer77 wrote:

I have the original Nook Simple Touch and I love it!  I love the size and I love the physical page turn buttons on either side of the device.  I don't like that it doesn't have a backlight.  That didn't exist yet when I got mine.  I looked into the Nook with GlowLight, but at that time the reviews were not good.  There were a lot of complaints about tears in the screen and the light showing through.  Although I really wanted it, I wasn't comfortable purchasing it based on the reviews.

So, I bought a Kindle Paperwhite.  And I love the backlight!  I love to read in bed in the dark before I fall asleep, with the backlight on super low.  The backlight makes it all worth it to me.  I prefer the dimensions and style of the Nook though.  The Paperwhite doesn't have physical page turn buttons and I think because of that I hit the touchscreen at inopportune times and get a menu.  I usually read on my side, plus I'm left-handed and I think it's just a weird combo that leads to faulty touching.

Another reason I wasn't completely comfortable purchasing a Nook was because of B&N's financial status.  They're not doing great financially (as far as I know) and I didn't want to end up with a product from an out of business company.  I still have a gift card in my B&N account, just sitting there.  I bought a book last week and still have some leftover.  I don't purchase too much, as I'm a fan of my digital library system and the free books that are offered through B&N and Amazon.

I think I would like the Kindle Voyage because it has physical page turn buttons, but it's 200 dollars and I don't read enough to justify that cost.

To sum up, I think you will probably like whatever you choose and everyone has their own favorite device.  If you're interested in purchasing maybe wait until Mother's Day to see if there's a sale.  I saw a sale on the Paperwhite about a month ago for 90 dollars I think.  That was an excellent deal and I think that was the lowest I've seen it.  I bought mine when it was on sale for 100.  

B&N is not going out of business  they are the only national physical book store still around and most people prefer regular books still and even if they did they would have another ebook seller take over your account and you will keep your books. I really like my Glowlight Plus. With its square  shape  and the cover I chose it almost looks like a book.

IMG_1459.JPGIMG_1462.JPG