Occasional Contributor
Hi, I purchased the kindle 8.9 tsv, and then purchased the 7" hdx from amazon when it was $50 off. I like them both, but the hdx does not consistently hold wifi. I am thinking of returning both and just getting 8.9 hdx because I like the screen size 8.9 and HDX images better. I am wondering if it is worth it to upgrade from 8.9 Hd to 8.9 hdx for people that have had both those sizes. Any info is appreciated if anyone can tell a difference in actual usage? I've read the compare tables on amazon, and while it is helpful, it doesn't give actual usage experience.
Respected Contributor

I'm confused. It sounds like you own both the HD and the HDX. So you would know the differences in how they operate. Or am I reading this wrong?

I find the HDX to operate much smoother and faster. I personally would pay the difference.

Respected Contributor

Also, did you contact Amazon about your wifi issue? Mine stays connected fine.

Contributor

Yes it sounds like you have both. I got the 8"" HD last year and I love it. This year I upgraded to the HDX 8"" Kindle. I love that one too. DH got last years.

I am not having any issues but I just received it 2 days ago. I really don't notice much of a difference but I am glad they put a camera on the new one. It takes great pictures. If you are having trouble I suggest contacting Amazon. They are very helpful. There is also a site called kindleboards.com that I go to occasionally.

Contributor

Call Amazon tech support and explain the wifi problem to them. They also have a troubleshooting area on the Amazon website which is very helpful. I bought the 9 inch HD from them over a year ago and had some problems streaming some TV shows. The tech support person was very helpful and resolved the problem.

Occasional Contributor
Yes I have both. 7" hdx and 8.9 hd (Qtsv). I guess my question more specifically is with 8.9 inch, difference between hd and hdx. I feel the Qs tsv was a good value, but wondered for those of you that upgraded 8.9 hdx from 8.9 hd why, and what were the biggest improvements. I am going to send the 7" back for sure, because of wifi and I prefer 8.9 size. It is hard for me to compare my 7" hdx to the larger one because it hasn't been working right, and idk if the 8.9 hdx weight being lighter is actually noticeable with use? Thanks for all responses!
Valued Contributor

you can get online help on wifi issue however instant solution is to call them

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I have the 7" HD, the 8.9" HD and the 7" HDX. I bought the 7" HDX to replace the 7" HD. I am going to keep my 8.9 HD until the next update. I can't see updating them both this year because of the cost. I use the 8.9" at work and the 7" at home. I don't have the 8.9" HDX to compare weights. I do know the 7" hd weight somewhat more and is bigger than the 7" HDX.

Since I now own the 7" HDX, it is harder for me to resist updating the 8.9" HD. I think the HDX works much faster with no lag time. I am going to make myself wait though.

I was going to sell my 7" HD and decided to keep it. It is ridiculous to have so many, but no more than I'd get out of it I'll use it some. Such as having an extra for grandkids to use while visiting, etc.

Occasional Contributor

Thx for.responses. I talked with Amazon and they had me do restart. So far OK. But weird thing was all my other devices, kindle hd, iPad s and Roku all had to be rebooted with router when I went back on Wi-Fi with Kindle HDX.

Everything seems ok now? Still may switch out 7 for 8.9 HDX.

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
The biggest difference is going to be performance. The HDX has twice the "horsepower" than the HD. Its going to be much faster and smoother. Most people arent going to notice a huge difference. If you play alot og action games, or stream alot of HD movies then you will see it. Internet browsing or reading wont show it much. The display is an upgrade but, in my opinion, it doesnt justify the cost.