Respected Contributor

Just spilled water on my LAPTOP keyboard ...

Has anyone ever had this happen?

I AM VERY upset.

I turned it off and dried it off.

I don't know what else to do.

Any suggestions?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

Re: Just spilled water on my LAPTOP keyboard ...

I wouldn't panic yet.  I would make sure it's thoroughly dried, then try it again.......it may be all right.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unplug it if you haven't already. Turn it upside down to dry. Any remaining water needs to be kept away from the underlying circuits. It will probably (no promises!) be okay because the manufaturers try to keep the keyboard somewhat protected. Let it dry for a day or so before trying to restart.

I've done this--splashing coffee--a few times and I'm typing to you on that exact same laptop keyboard. So my story had a happy ending at least.

Edited to add: don't close the screen onto the keyboard before turning it upside down. Leave it open. You don't want water on your screen either. Find something to rest the keyboard on that allows the screen to stay open, if you see what I mean. Such as a chair seat. Should be like an upside down capital L. And rest the keyboard on a towel.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Also...there are several YouTube tutorials available.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

If you eat & drink near your comp consider getting a keyboard cover.

Depending on your laptop manufacturer, you should go to their support website to find out what to do if liquid is spilled on keyboard.  Better yet, find your model laptop on YouTube's spilled liquid on keyboard tutorials.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

I spilled coffee on the keyboard on my laptop.  My husband was able to clean it off somehow.  He said I was very lucky I didn't lose all my data, emails, etc.

Honored Contributor

I have a Dell chromebook. It is specifically designed for use by kids in classrooms. It has a padded exterior that will take more than normal drops and bumps - and with my arthritic hands I need that - and it is water resistant. If your going to eat & drink around your laptop - look into a water resistant one.

Trusted Contributor

blowdryer??

Esteemed Contributor

My husband spilled coffee on my laptop yesterday, I freaked out at first and then I turned it face down and used a blow dryer to dry it. I said a silent prayer ... and it is okay now. Woman Frustrated