Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just received email from Apple?

I got a email from SSA that turned out to be a scam I am not even at that age yet. I wish they would close these people out.Woman Mad

Esteemed Contributor

These scam creeps are very good at what they do. I have a Prime Account at Amazon and I got a email that my account was being hacked into and that I would have to verify  my information again . I called Amazon they checked into it and it was indeed a scam. Be careful! Again they are good at what they do.

Trusted Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:
 Is this... a scam? 

Yes.

I got one of those spoof calls about this a couple of months ago. There was a voice mail message telling me to call a number which was clearly not Apple's. Funny thing was, that the spoofed number that appeared on my caller ID actually was Apple's CS number. I called them and reported it; the CS rep told me that several people had called about this.

Honored Contributor

So, today I got and E-mail saying my Apple ID had been used to buy a game.  Funny, since an earlier E-mail told me my Apple ID had been locked.  Good luck getting me to pay for said game.  They don't have my financial info. 

I only found it because I occasionally check my Spam folder since sometimes non-spam stuff does get forwarded to it.  So, Yahoo was doing it's job.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess

II have received a few of these fake emails. Apple have an address online where to send this spam. The company takes security issues seriously. 

Honored Contributor

@ Montana & others:

BEWARE This is a SCAM!!!!!!

couple things:

1) Apple has no idea what your password is NOR would they send you a email re: locking you out of account!

2) The only way you get a "locked" password is after several tries of inputting incorrect pw.  Then while you are at the site it will instruct you to select new PW and follow directions!

AND APPLE (or any other provider) would never to my knowledge pick a password for you!!!!

I'd be extremely leery of these types of emails -- esp from Apple.  You can call them directly1-800-myapple & they have tech support to assist you.

(this # is on my speed dial😉 I have Apple Care + on all my products).

@ Montana wrote:

I got an email from Apple that was legitimate. I had to redo my password.

It read:

Dear Customer

Your Apple ID has been locked for security reasons. To unlock it, you must verify your identity.

Unlock Account>

If you don't unlock your account before 24 hours, your account password will change automatically.  You can reset your password at  i forgot . apple. com

Sincerely,

Apple Support

Good advice to check with Apple first

Esteemed Contributor

SCAM

Honored Contributor

I got a call today, I didn't pick it up, It was a recorded message stating someone tried to log into my account, I shouldn't use the account until I spoke to Apple. I assume this is a scam.

Super Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

I got an email from Apple that was legitimate. I had to redo my password.

It read:

Dear Customer

Your Apple ID has been locked for security reasons. To unlock it, you must verify your identity.

Unlock Account>

If you don't unlock your account before 24 hours, your account password will change automatically.  You can reset your password at  i forgot . apple. com

Sincerely,

Apple Support

Good advice to check with Apple first

I got the exact same email.

At first read, it does sound seriously scary,

But common sense prevailed and I deleted it, along with texting all those 

I know who use Apple products.