Occasional Contributor

I'm am having issues opening Microsoft Excel and Word.  This laptop came with Windows 8 and I later did the free update to Windows 10.  All went well until the last week or so and now I can not open either.  I get the message to ""Activate Office"" which I follow the prompts and still nothing. 

Anyone else have this issie?  What did you do?  

Thanks in advance for your advise and help.

Respected Contributor

Re: Issues with excel and word

[ Edited ]

@virginia girl wrote:

I'm am having issues opening Microsoft Excel and Word.  This laptop came with Windows 8 and I later did the free update to Windows 10.  All went well until the last week or so and now I can not open either.  I get the message to ""Activate Office"" which I follow the prompts and still nothing. 

Anyone else have this issie?  What did you do?  

Thanks in advance for your advise and help.

Did they come pre-installed or did you buy the programs?  Microsoft has changed how most people get Office.  It's now a subscription which you must renew yearly. 

If you purchased the program, find the activation number and reactivate the program. 

Valued Contributor

u need to purchase office ..

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dumb question but have you looked in your programs?  My husband's computer has Windows 10 and I recently purchased it for his computer.  Couldn't figure it out at first - after activating -  but it was there in his programs.  

Occasional Contributor

I believe I purchased this Dell laptop thru QVC several years ago and I paid for Microsoft then, so this laptop did come with a purchased copy,  It came with Windows 8 and later I was offered to upgrade to Windows 10 free.  It has worked fine until recently.  Thank you for your response.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you go to McAfee's website and your account you should be able to figure it out or contact them if not.  

I just googled this and apparently this has happened to many people after upgrading to Windows 10.  I didn't look at the answers - you might try that too.

Esteemed Contributor

I have this new Office in my window 8 computer. You have to pay to activate after the first year. You need to look at the process and pricing at  Microsoft Office site.

Occasional Contributor

McAfee does not have that information.  Microsoft said to check my mail, they mailed me a post card 5 years ago with that info on it.  Dell will tell me for a huge fee.  Not interested.  Thanks for your responses / suggestions.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

If your computer is five years old, the Office software is old. Please go to Microsoft’s site and take care of this situation.