Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is a "data plan" for cell phones only?

I have comcast/xfinity mobil. I changed over from T-Mobil which I thought was horrible even worse then AT&T if that is possible.

Respected Contributor

@Maggie Nolia 

It didn't make sense to me in December when we got emails and popups from xfinity that we'd exceeded our data plan.   Turns out many internet providers have caps on data useage too.   Xfinity has one terabyte per month free and then there are charges.  

Call your internet provider and they'll transfer you to that dept. and they'll explain it.  Infuriating, really.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Maggie Nolia  Hi Maggie, I have AT&T and remember when they started to impose a maximum.

Data is basically anything you are doing via the internet.  It's browsing the internet, watching youtube videos and streaming any programming through devices that connect to your computer.

Once these firesticks, rokus and netflix became a viable alternative to cable TV, people jumped on it. 

Aside from AT&T wanting you to sign up for their cable, lol, I believe they impose these maximums because there is so much traffic on their networks because of streaming.

I may have watched a TV show online (like something free from CBS, ABC or PBS) however I've never used enough to earn a warning from them.

Bottom line - it's a racket and we're going to pay one way or the other.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise