Trusted Contributor

Re: Is It Dangerous To Put Your IPad On Your Chest?

Still ROFLMAO!! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Oh, edit to say I'm not laughing at the OP's original post, but rather some of ya'll's answers!

Super Contributor

On 11/14/2014 kachina624 said: I don't know but I heard Kim Kardashian sat on one, and look at what happened to her!

Best reply of the year!!!

Esteemed Contributor

KACHINA, OMG so funny!!! My laugh of the week. LM

Honored Contributor

SORRY, KYToby, there are no peer reviewed studies on this. I don't know why I bothered to ask, here. I am a science teacher. Just got too lazy to look. As far as scientific research goes, there are no published studies on this issue. Tiamaria, you are correct that radiation emitted from devices such as the IPad are on the electromagnetic spectrum. On the spectrum ionizing radiation is radiation that had higher frequency, such as gamma rays, and non ionizing radiation has lower frequency waves, such as radio, microwave, ultraviolet. My concern is not a joke, and all of us should be concerned with this issue.
Honored Contributor

How do the waves fit into the electromagnetic spectrum? All of these are "electromagnetic waves". This means that although they appear to be very different, in fact they're all made of the same kind of vibrations - but at different frequencies. Use the buttons at the top of the page to find out about the waves How do I remember all this? Try: Rabbits Mate In Very Unusual eXpensive Gardens meaning: Radio Microwaves Infra-Red Visible light Ultra-violet X-rays Gamma rays What do "wavelength" and "frequency" mean? Wavelength means pretty much what it says - the length of one wave. More precisely, it means the distance from the peak of one wave to the peak on the next wave. Strictly speaking, "the distance from any point on a wave to the same point on the next cycle of the wave". The peaks are just handy places to measure from. It may be measured in: kilometres km 1,000 metres metres m Awww, come on, you know how big a metre is! centimetres cm A hundredth of a metre. But you know this already. millimetres mm 1/1000th of a metre. Those tiny lines on your ruler! nanometres nm 1/1000,000,000th of a metre. Or, if you prefer, a millionth of a millimetre. Small! Frequency is a word used in Maths to mean "how often something happens". With waves, it's "how many waves per second" It may be measured in: Hertz Hz 1 Hz means 1 wave per second kilohertz kHz 1 kHz is 1,000 waves per second megahertz MHz 1 MHz is 1 million waves per second. Your favourite FM radio station probably broadcasts around 100 MHz gigahertz GHz 1 GHz is 1,000 million waves per second. Microwaves are around a few GHz. Key Stage 3 worksheet (Word format) 32kb GCSE foundation worksheet (Word format) 29kb GCSE foundation worksheet (pdf format) 59kb Created by Andy Darvill for GCSE Physics Main site: www.darvill.clara.net privacy policy
Honored Contributor

These waves are all forms of light at different frequencies. The X-rays and Gamma waves are high frequency, ionizing radiation, the most dangerous type, because of the highest risk of cellular damage. Our atmosphere aids in filtering radiation emanating from space.
Honored Contributor

Java queen, I know you are right, but I set this device on me, for comfort. I have decided to play it safe and set it on something. The more inches away from the body, the better.
Honored Contributor

{
tf1ansiansicpg1252 {fonttbl} {colortbl;
ed255green255 lue255;} }
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

On 11/15/2014 Mindy D said: