Respected Contributor

Re: Ipad Air2 and Iphone 5s wont sync to Mac after 10.3.3 update

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom wrote:

But the new OS are free, so why not update. My mid 2010 had Sierra on it and I had no issues with the OS but I replaced it with a new mac a few months ago. 

@jaxs mom@dooBdooFirst things first.  Oops me.  My sound is back on my Dell.  It seems the external speaker power cord was not plugged in.  LOL.  I do not know why the sound did not work when i selected speakers in monitor before?  I did go thru an uninstall on the driver but i had nothing after that.  Ghosts!  Glad i didnt get someone over here to tell me it needed power!!!

2nd the Itunes version on the Dell is 12.1.3.6, on the Mac 11.4.  Both say i am uptodate.  

Now as to updating the MacBook, i would but it does not show that an update is available when i look at available software updates on my Mac.  

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

But the new OS are free, so why not update. My mid 2010 had Sierra on it and I had no issues with the OS but I replaced it with a new mac a few months ago. 

@jaxs mom@dooBdooFirst things first.  Oops me.  My sound is back on my Dell.  It seems the external speaker power cord was not plugged in.  LOL.  I do not know why the sound did not work when i selected speakers in monitor before?  I did go thru an uninstall on the driver but i had nothing after that.  Ghosts!  Glad i didnt get someone over here to tell me it needed power!!!

2nd the Itunes version on the Dell is 12.1.3.6, on the Mac 11.4.  Both say i am uptodate.  

Now as to updating the MacBook, i would but it does not show that an update is available when i look at available software updates on my Mac.  

You have to upgrade to yosemite first, because you waited so long 

https://www.apple.com/asia/support/osx/upgrade/ @Shawnie

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

Wonder why it never showed updates available for my MaC.  I get various other updates.

Respected Contributor

Looks like my mac is too old for updates, April 2010 is when i purchased.  Cutoff is mid 2010.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Apple says that these models can update to El Capitan all the way back to 2007 series macs. 

• MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, Early 2009, or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shawnie wrote:

JaxsMom wrote:

@JaxsMom@dooBdooFirst things first.  Oops me.  My sound is back on my Dell.  It seems the external speaker power cord was not plugged in.  LOL.  I do not know why the sound did not work when i selected speakers in monitor before?  I did go thru an uninstall on the driver but i had nothing after that.  Ghosts!  Glad i didnt get someone over here to tell me it needed power!!!

Hi, @Shawnie!image.gif     I'm glad your Dell's sound is working now.  Thanks for the info about the versions of iTunes.   That circles back to my first post on this thread -- the error message refers to the need to update iTunes to a compatible version.   V. 11.4 was released in 2014, and while the older versions do work for a relatively long time (it worked for you for 3 years) eventually they'll start to give us problems.   

You won't see an update for iTunes since the version you have is the last one released for Snow Leopard.    It's the "current version" for that operating system software.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

Hi, @jaxs mom!image.gif   I agree with you.   The operating system needs to be updated systematically.   

@Shawnie, Sometimes we can skip a version and install an update, but not always.    My preference is to install each new version, chronologically, in steps.    Just take some time and go to the Apple website to review installating the versions that were released after Snow Leopard.    This is a list from Wiki of all those that followed:

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Shawnie wrote:

JaxsMom wrote:

Shawnie wrote:

JaxsMom wrote:

@JaxsMom@dooBdooFirst things first.  Oops me.  My sound is back on my Dell.  It seems the external speaker power cord was not plugged in.  LOL.  I do not know why the sound did not work when i selected speakers in monitor before?  I did go thru an uninstall on the driver but i had nothing after that.  Ghosts!  Glad i didnt get someone over here to tell me it needed power!!!

https://www.apple.com/asia/support/osx/upgrade/    @Shawnie

Wonder why it never showed updates available for my MaC.  I get various other updates.

@Shawnie,  If we don't install updates, after a while the notifications stop.    It's possible you didn't see the alert that an update was available, and after a time it dropped away (I'm not sure how long the notifications remain).    It's also possible your system preferences weren't set to enable notifications of new available versions.   And, of course, as time passed the newer versions of software weren't compatible with your existing versions.

Respected Contributor

I am trying to get on board!  El Capitan is downloading however slowly.  Hold your breath.  

Respected Contributor

@dooBdoo@jaxs mom Thanks to you both!  I have upgraded to El Capitan and ITunes 12. right now I am downloading an ElCapitan security update and I think i will be done.  I have a question.  DO either of you know whether I will be able to update to High Sierra after tomorrow and if so will I have to do Sierra first???