Honored Contributor

Re: Ipad Air2 and Iphone 5s wont sync to Mac after 10.3.3 update

@JeanA wrote:

iTunes backups are better than cloud backups. There is less chance of corruption, plus you can encrypt them.

Moot point, since it's been removed as an option by Apple with the latest update.  

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

@JeanA wrote:

iTunes backups are better than cloud backups. There is less chance of corruption, plus you can encrypt them.

Moot point, since it's been removed as an option by Apple with the latest update.  

So in ios 11 you can only backup to the cloud?  No way to backup music files especially locally?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Icloud music library, all my music is already in the cloud and available for DL to my other devices anytime I want them. When I make a playlist on my iphone, it appears on itunes automatically. 

Physical copies of your music files aren't backed up in tunes anyway, they're backed up ( if you turn it on) with Time Machine to whereever you tell it to. In my case, that's an external drive. Been that way for years. The only thing that itunes actually backs up is the  information of what's in it's library, not the physical files themselves. That's why you can have multiple itunes libraries and switch between them. 

Honored Contributor

From an access and long term availabillity standpoint, it's safer to use icloud backup anyway. Because a physical backup on your desktop is more prone to being lost. You have a hardware issue with your desktop, you may have a backup of the backup in Time Machine, but you need to connect the Time Machine backup to a computer to access it and use it to restore. 

With icloud backup, it's available at any time anywhere over wifi connection through your icloud account. 

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@JeanA wrote:

So in ios 11 you can only backup to the cloud?  No way to backup music files especially locally?  

ok it appears I was wrong, in that if you really want to you can connect your device to itunes via cable cord and once the icon of the device appears you can click it and do a physical back up but the whole IOS app store is removed from itunes so it's not the way it used to be, where you needed to store the physical files of the apps on your desktop and it was syncing to that. Instead it's just giving you a backup.

Having said that, it's still much safer from an access standpoint to use icloud as I posted in another reply. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the ability to physically back up completely as time goes on. I think they only left it for old devices that can't use icloud backup like my first gen ipad, because it can't use two party authentication that was in a later update. I bet they remove it in the future. 

Respected Contributor

@jaxs mom i am going to have to think on your replies.....you are one of the Jetsons and i am one of the Flintstones!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

JaxsMom wrote:

Shawnie wrote:

JaxsMom wrote:

JeanA wrote:

ok it appears I was wrong, in that if you really want to you can connect your device to itunes via cable cord and once the icon of the device appears you can click it and do a physical back up but the whole IOS app store is removed from itunes so it's not the way it used to be, where you needed to store the physical files of the apps on your desktop and it was syncing to that. Instead it's just giving you a backup.

Having said that, it's still much safer from an access standpoint to use icloud as I posted in another reply. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the ability to physically back up completely as time goes on. I think they only left it for old devices that can't use icloud backup like my first gen ipad, because it can't use two party authentication that was in a later update. I bet they remove it in the future. 

Yes, we still have the ability to backup our Apple mobile devices to iTunes -- I have the most current version of iTunes and synced/backed up my iPad and iPhone just yesterday.   As you said, the only thing that changed was that the iTunes options for syncing apps or ringtones were removed.   They're moving the emphasis back toward music and other media such as podcasts, movies, TV shows, audiobooks.   iTunes has long been an unwieldy imbroglio and I hope they're on the path toward simplification and ease of use -- that used to be the hallmark of Apple's products, but changed over the years.    I agree it's easier to access a backup on iCloud but I don't feel it's safer.    Even though I've spent my career working in IT, and I recognize the limitations of "safety" on any device -- physical or virtual -- I admit cloud storage still makes me uncomfortable (I have a similar view as Steve Wozniak on that and I understand it's a highly debated topic and not everyone agrees with my opinion).

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

JaxsMom wrote:

JeanA wrote:

@JeanA,  My personal preference is a backup to iTunes on my Mac, which as mentioned still is an option, but I wanted to mention that the backups saved on iCloud are encrypted.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Shawnie wrote:

Thanks everyone.  @JaxsMom yes i know i can back up to the cloud but i like the idea of it being on my desktop.   I do see the advantage particularly if you dont have a desktop.  @dooBdoo the final 10.3.3 definitely didnt fix this issue!  Always an adventure.  Finally, late, very late last night i thought lets see if i can back up on my Dell old desktop.  And yes it worked like it used to, putting in code behind itunes password.  Now that is weird.  And then i realuzed that i had no sound on the Dell!  Driver(s)!  No system sounds, ni ability to hear anything. mutes off, sound all the way up.  Troubleshoot, dont see anything.  Got original driver disc.  Seems to be three dufferent audio drivers.  If i care i guess i uninsrall them, slam the installation disc in and hope it will let me pick the ones i want to reinstall?  Or maybe i relish in the silence??

@Shawnie, Hi, again, my friend!image.gif  You're welcome.   I seldom work with Windows-based computers now, but there are many wonderfully-knowledgeable and helpful posters here who can offer ideas about your Dell.   I have to admit your delimma is puzzling.   I never could find any info about this problem with the 10.3.3 official release which makes me think you have a most annoying and worrisome glitch specific to your device(s) or software.  Since this happens with both your iPad and iPhone, it makes me think the issue resides in iTunes or other issues on your Mac.   Since none of the other steps I mentioned helped, maybe there's a corruption that Disk Utility could find and fix.   Or booting up in safe mode, then shutting down and restarting the Mac might help.   I'm just brainstorming.   Apple support might be the key to this mystery.   

You've been on my mind since I first read your thread last night.   Sure do wish I could help.   I feel so frustrated when a fellow poster has such a vexing, mysterious problem.   I hope you get all these problems fixed, and soon, and have smooth sailing from that point on.  (((hugs)))

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@Shawnie wrote:

@jaxs mom wrote:

@JeanA wrote:

Yes, we still have the ability to backup our Apple mobile devices to iTunes -- I have the most current version of iTunes and synced/backed up my iPad and iPhone just yesterday.   As you said, the only thing that changed was that the iTunes options for syncing apps or ringtones were removed.   They're moving the emphasis back toward music and other media such as podcasts, movies, TV shows, audiobooks.   iTunes has long been an unwieldy imbroglio and I hope they're on the path toward simplification and ease of use -- that used to be the hallmark of Apple's products, but changed over the years.    I agree it's easier to access a backup on iCloud but I don't feel it's safer.    Even though I've spent my career working in IT, and I recognize the limitations of "safety" on any device -- physical or virtual -- I admit cloud storage still makes me uncomfortable (I have a similar view as Steve Wozniak on that and I understand it's a highly debated topic and not everyone agrees with my opinion).

Well more than ring tones and app syncing were removed. IOS apps across the board were removed from itunes desktop.