Esteemed Contributor

Re: Information on how to get anti virus protection for new Ipad

Can you use a prepaid iTunes card to open your iTunes account? I never use my credit card on iTunes, just the card. Also, I never use virus protection on ipad and haven't had any issues so far. Hope I don't tempt fate with that comment! LM

Respected Contributor

On 7/16/2014 lilbitnfla said:

they said I have to go on to I tunes first and register there first before they will let me download any aps. So I tried doing that and that's when they started asking me for all that information

You do need to signup with itunes and give a credit card number in case you do download apps that cost money. I have never been charged for anything and I have a iphone and ipad and just do free apps. Its not a big deal and nothing to worry about. Just part of Apple.

Honored Contributor

I have an iPad. I don't use antivirus with it.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

You don't need an antivirus program with your iPad. You have to get apps through iTunes which requires you sign up for an account. When you sing up for an account, you need either a iTunes gift card/prepaid card or a credit card. There is no other way to get apps free or paid.

Honored Contributor

As we've explained before, you don't need antivirus protection for an iPad or iPhone.

And you do need to register with iTunes in order to download apps (including the free ones), but you don't have to enter a credit card.

Under "Payment Type" you can choose "None." However, obviously you'll need to add a payment type if you decide to download apps that aren't free.

Just register, enter the address/phone info, and choose "None" as your payment type. Then, have fun with a few free apps (perhaps ask for suggestions?) so you can get the "feel" of how it works.

Smile

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

I was trying to download some free aps, but they wanted my name mailing address and credit card information before they could do it so that was the reason why I was asking because I didn't feel comfortable putting that information on there without asking someone first.

I've never seen an iTunes app that asks for your credit card information and mailing address. Billing goes through your iTunes account and your address is already on record.

Ok wait, you didn't realize that you'd need an iTunes account to set up your iPad?

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/16/2014 jaxs mom said:

I was trying to download some free aps, but they wanted my name mailing address and credit card information before they could do it so that was the reason why I was asking because I didn't feel comfortable putting that information on there without asking someone first.

I've never seen an iTunes app that asks for your credit card information and mailing address. Billing goes through your iTunes account and your address is already on record.

Ok wait, you didn't realize that you'd need an iTunes account to set up your iPad?

LOL let's not talk about the in-app purchase.

Super Contributor

You HAVE to have an iTunes account to download apps on your iPad. It's owned by Apple, has been in business for many years and is a reputable site. All iPad and iPhone users have iTune accounts. The majority of people are comfortable using their credit card there. Like another poster said, you don't have to enter your form of payment but you do have to register so they know it's you downloading the apps.

Honored Contributor

You don't need an outside source (3rd party) - Apple has it's own anti-virus protection as they do not use 3rd party apps to my knowledge.

I've never had a virus on any of my Apple products ... you could call the apple support # (1-800-my-apple) but I'm pretty sure you don't need a 3rd party.

Super Contributor

On 7/16/2014 dooBdoo said:

As we've explained before, you don't need antivirus protection for an iPad or iPhone.

And you do need to register with iTunes in order to download apps (including the free ones), but you don't have to enter a credit card.

Under "Payment Type" you can choose "None." However, obviously you'll need to add a payment type if you decide to download apps that aren't free.

Just register, enter the address/phone info, and choose "None" as your payment type. Then, have fun with a few free apps (perhaps ask for suggestions?) so you can get the "feel" of how it works.

Smile

Excellent info from dooBdoo.....as usual.