Respected Contributor

Re: In The Market For A New Laptop

I, too, got tired of Windows and all the malware, spyware, freezing, computers slowing down/having bugs after only a year or two.  In five years time, I spent about $1000 on two laptops that were more a source of irritation than anything.  I realize I did not buy high-end laptops, but I still would have had the malware and other things with which to deal.  

I bought a 15" Macbook Pro w/retina display in August.  I bought it from an Apple Authorized Retailer (a privately owned business), bought the Apple Care 3-year extended warranty, and took a class on it.  I love the trackpad and other features.  There is a learning curve, but the store was wonderful to help me with anything I needed, and the class helped, too.  I know within the next three years that if anything goes wrong, I have no worries.  Because of the quality construction, I feel it will last at least 5.  More expensive?  Yes.  No malware, spyware, freezing, bugs?  Priceless.

Honored Contributor

Fourteen months ago, I considered buying a laptop on QVC ... either Dell or HP.    I bought the Dell and it's my last Dell.  

I'm SO sorry I didn't get the warranty because it has crashed/broken down twice and I've spent about $430 in repairs.

My sister works for a company that refurbishes and resells computers to businesses.   She said that one in twenty Dells are a "lemon".    With the HP computers,  only one in 800 is a lemon.  Go figure. 

I have definitely learned my lesson.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Fourteen months ago, I considered buying a laptop on QVC ... either Dell or HP.    I bought the Dell and it's my last Dell.  

I'm SO sorry I didn't get the warranty because it has crashed/broken down twice and I've spent about $430 in repairs.

My sister works for a company that refurbishes and resells computers to businesses.   She said that one in twenty Dells are a "lemon".    With the HP computers,  only one in 800 is a lemon.  Go figure. 

@Tinkrbl44, there is a long list of people disgusted with DELL.  Sadly, I am one.  Haven't owned one for more than ten years and don't plan on it either. I keep wondering since there are so many how they stay in business???  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44, there is a long list of people disgusted with DELL.  Sadly, I am one.  Haven't owned one for more than ten years and don't plan on it either. I keep wondering since there are so many how they stay in business???  LM

@Lilysmom     By offering EZ pay on QVC ??

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If you're waiting for the last breath from your current computer, @Jordan2, then it's a good idea to have a short list of replacements ready and waiting.  Unlike when that happened to me several years ago, now you can use your phone to access and order a new one. 

I've had exceptionally good experience with Acers (sold on HSN and the Q, BTW), my last two...er three including my Acer One.  I know they're not considered top-of-the-line and particularly brag-worthy, but as someone who actualy has worked in technical support, I've learned to look beyond names and labels here.  Acer packs a ton into their laptops for reasonable pricing.  Their support is as good as any, but knock-on-wood, I've never had to use it.  Amazon always has a wide array of configurations...i5, i7...all the bells and whistles you may want.  I suggest you take a little time to look them over and see what you think.

Another thing to consider is that if you do wait until your computer poops out, you'll be under more pressure to get it replaced so may not be able to take advantage of sales and bargain prices.

All that said,  I'm giving serious consideration to the Apple swap for my next computer go-around.  Microsoft is becoming very aggressive with this last OS and playing with our privacy.  Of course, so is nearly everyone else.Woman Mad   I'm just not sure I want to proceed with them.Woman Happy

I wish you a good, satisfying purchase, whatever it is.  It'll be your friend for awhile.Woman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Respected Contributor

@Gokat@Jordan2 I was just checking HSN as I am thinking of replacing my 15" Toshiba laptop for a 17" laptop. I couldn't believe the Acer laptop with i7 and it's specs were so excellent. This one I was looking at also had a Blu-Ray that no one else have been offering in a long time. It had Windows 10 and 16 GB Ram. It was pricey at over $1300.00 but sounded worth it. I just put in laptops and click to update to Newest in the drop down list. I still have my Toshiba laptop. I went on

the Toshiba site to build my own but they no longer sell them from their site since March 1st, 2016. They stated you can still buy them in stores but not on their site. Who do you call with a problem then? I love my Toshiba as it is very well made and never had it in the shop. I will put Square Trade on whatever I buy as they are as good as Apple for customer service. I had bought a laptop for my grandson and put Square Trade on it. When he dropped it and wouldn't work they sent him a box to send it in and within 5 days he had it back better than new.

One caution is to back-up your data before sending in for repair and take private data off for your security also. 

Honored Contributor

@Gokat wrote:

If you're waiting for the last breath from your current computer, @Jordan2, then it's a good idea to have a short list of replacements ready and waiting.  Unlike when that happened to me several years ago, now you can use your phone to access and order a new one. 

I've had exceptionally good experience with Acers (sold on HSN and the Q, BTW), my last two...er three including my Acer One.  I know they're not considered top-of-the-line and particularly brag-worthy, but as someone who actualy has worked in technical support, I've learned to look beyond names and labels here.  Acer packs a ton into their laptops for reasonable pricing.  Their support is as good as any, but knock-on-wood, I've never had to use it.  Amazon always has a wide array of configurations...i5, i7...all the bells and whistles you may want.  I suggest you take a little time to look them over and see what you think.

Another thing to consider is that if you do wait until your computer poops out, you'll be under more pressure to get it replaced so may not be able to take advantage of sales and bargain prices.

All that said,  I'm giving serious consideration to the Apple swap for my next computer go-around.  Microsoft is becoming very aggressive with this last OS and playing with our privacy.  Of course, so is nearly everyone else.Woman Mad   I'm just not sure I want to proceed with them.Woman Happy

I wish you a good, satisfying purchase, whatever it is.  It'll be your friend for awhile.Woman Happy

Thank you for your advice. I'm not too tech savvy so I really don't know what I want or need. I am terrible at making decisions and big purchases make me nervous and I always have buyers remorse! I had an HP computer and liked it a lot, I would definitely buy one again. I am considering a MacBook Air or Pro. As far as my computer dying I have an iPad, and 2 Kindles so I don't think I would feel too pressured to buy something fast.

Respected Contributor

Take a look over on Amazon, @MKR14 .  The same configuration (I think) is a couple hundred dollars less...and free S&H with Prime.  Much better deal, if the payment breakdown isn't necessary.  Yes, Acer does provide a lot for the money. Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

@Gokat wrote:

Thank you for your advice. I'm not too tech savvy so I really don't know what I want or need. I am terrible at making decisions and big purchases make me nervous and I always have buyers remorse! I had an HP computer and liked it a lot, I would definitely buy one again. I am considering a MacBook Air or Pro. As far as my computer dying I have an iPad, and 2 Kindles so I don't think I would feel too pressured to buy something fast.

@Jordan2  I highly recommend the MacBook Air.  I bought mine over a year ago and really love it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

When you're ready, @Jordan2 , why not grab that nephew for lunch and a trip to Best Buy?  Sounds like he'd be happy to fix you up! Woman Wink