Super Contributor

Re: If You Upgraded Mac to Yosemite OS

Well, well, well, I just did a quick search online and I see that you can set up the account without a credit card and do free downloads. Here is a link to a website that provides directions (with pictures). They say you need to follow the steps correctly, otherwise it won't work. -----http://m.wikihow.com/Create-an-Apple-ID-Without-a-Credit-Card ------ you'll need to copy and paste that link and put it in your browser.
Trusted Contributor

On 11/11/2014 Lynnj said: Well, well, well, I just did a quick search online and I see that you can set up the account without a credit card and do free downloads. Here is a link to a website that provides directions (with pictures). They say you need to follow the steps correctly, otherwise it won't work. -----http://m.wikihow.com/Create-an-Apple-ID-Without-a-Credit-Card ------ you'll need to copy and paste that link and put it in your browser.

I just spoke to someone about the debit/credit card issue and they said they did not need to input their number either. Thanks for investigating - I am going to try it tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 Pie1993 said:
On 11/11/2014 Lynnj said: Well, well, well, I just did a quick search online and I see that you can set up the account without a credit card and do free downloads. Here is a link to a website that provides directions (with pictures). They say you need to follow the steps correctly, otherwise it won't work. -----http://m.wikihow.com/Create-an-Apple-ID-Without-a-Credit-Card ------ you'll need to copy and paste that link and put it in your browser.

I just spoke to someone about the debit/credit card issue and they said they did not need to input their number either. Thanks for investigating - I am going to try it tomorrow.

This is something that was changed in iTunes accounts a good while ago. There's a thread in Electronics Talk about it. Not only did they change it so one could choose "None" as the "Payment Type," it's also easy to switch to that if you add financial info and then decide to remove it later. I prefer to add my CC when I make a purchase and then remove it after the purchase has completely processed.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Thanks for this thread, Lynnj!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I've had no time to experiment with new options, long story, but so far I still like Yosemite. I downloaded it immediately the day it was made available. Not sure why there are some reports of slower computer -- so far my desktop is zipping right along at the same speed as before. I wonder if it would help to do a safe boot (then shut down and perform a normal startup). A safe boot can clear caches, rebuild the disk directory, clean up odd glitches, etc., without the user needing to do those things manually. After repairing disk permissions, run the Repair Disk utility too. Also, it helps to see what's in the Startup/Login Items (might be launching something to run in background that you don't need) and peruse the Activity Monitor to see what's using the most resources.

(Safe boot how-to: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262)

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Super Contributor

On 11/11/2014 dooBdoo said:

Thanks for this thread, Lynnj!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

I've had no time to experiment with new options, long story, but so far I still like Yosemite. I downloaded it immediately the day it was made available. Not sure why there are some reports of slower computer -- so far my desktop is zipping right along at the same speed as before. I wonder if it would help to do a safe boot (then shut down and perform a normal startup). A safe boot can clear caches, rebuild the disk directory, clean up odd glitches, etc., without the user needing to do those things manually. After repairing disk permissions, run the Repair Disk utility too. Also, it helps to see what's in the Startup/Login Items (might be launching something to run in background that you don't need) and peruse the Activity Monitor to see what's using the most resources.

Thanks dooBdoo. I will play with it more this weekend. Because I use a PC for work (work owned) I usually only use my Mac on the weekends. During the week I really only have time to surf web, emails, etc. at night so I just use my iPad for that. Last weekend I did boot into safe mode, and the strangest thing happened...as safe mode was coming up a bunch of white verticle lines came across the screen. It also took a bit longer for the safe mode screen to come up. Once I got there I immediately did a restart. Then I went to disk utility and checked disk and repaired permissions. I'll see how it goes this weekend, maybe try booting into safe mode again if needed. Do you ever go into Console? Do you see strange messages in there....something about handoff advertising? It's several of that same message (maybe 20 lime items or so in a row).
Super Contributor

This is something that was changed in iTunes accounts a good while ago. There's a thread in Electronics Talk about it. Not only did they change it so one could choose "None" as the "Payment Type," it's also easy to switch to that if you add financial info and then decide to remove it later. I prefer to add my CC when I make a purchase and then remove it after the purchase has completely processed.

I learn something new everyday. Not sure where I was when that was announced? I think I may clear out my info too? On the other hand, every so often I may hear a song and then jump to iTunes and do a quick download. Would hate to have to put in credit info each time I do something like that. If I did I know I wouldn't download a song on the spot like that, often just don't have credit info on me without having to get up and get it from my wallet. Probably would never download the song, because I kmow I wouldn't remember I wanted to download the song at another time later when I did have my card available. Lol.
Super Contributor

Good luck. Let us know if you get stuck somewhere.
Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 Lynnj said:

Thanks for this thread, <em>Lynnj</em>!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Thanks dooBdoo. I will play with it more this weekend. Because I use a PC for work (work owned) I usually only use my Mac on the weekends. During the week I really only have time to surf web, emails, etc. at night so I just use my iPad for that. Last weekend I did boot into safe mode, and the strangest thing happened...as safe mode was coming up a bunch of white verticle lines came across the screen. It also took a bit longer for the safe mode screen to come up. Once I got there I immediately did a restart. Then I went to disk utility and checked disk and repaired permissions. I'll see how it goes this weekend, maybe try booting into safe mode again if needed. Do you ever go into Console? Do you see strange messages in there....something about handoff advertising? It's several of that same message (maybe 20 lime items or so in a row).

Oh, yes, safe mode can look really sketchy. The first time I used it I thought I had really messed up!{#emotions_dlg.scared}

I use Console now and then. I believe the "handoff advertising" refers to communication or syncing information among devices with iCloud. The system is advertising the shared information, so to speak.

I've done just some quick looking on the net, mostly on Apple's support community and I do see other posts about a slowdown with Yosemite. Perhaps we can find some nuggets of helpful tips in those discussions.

I want to thank you for all the great information and resources you share with everyone. It's so beneficial, and I've learned a lot from you, Lynnj.Smile

Honored Contributor

On 11/11/2014 Lynnj said:

I learn something new everyday. Not sure where I was when that was announced? I think I may clear out my info too? On the other hand, every so often I may hear a song and then jump to iTunes and do a quick download. Would hate to have to put in credit info each time I do something like that. If I did I know I wouldn't download a song on the spot like that, often just don't have credit info on me without having to get up and get it from my wallet. Probably would never download the song, because I kmow I wouldn't remember I wanted to download the song at another time later when I did have my card available. Lol.

I don't know when they changed it. I remember adding my CC 'way back with my first registration of my Apple ID and didn't think too much about it until a friend called me about an iTunes problem. In helping him walk though it, it turned out to be an issue with his CC setup in his iTunes account and we discovered the new payment type category "None." One of those happy accidents!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Super Contributor

Thanks dooBdoo. I appreciate your posts and shared insight (on many forums and threads). I have learned so much from your posts. Yes, I looked online and saw some posts in the Apple forum about the handoff advertising. I agree, it must be something in syncing between all devices, as that's what handoff is all about, lol. But, so strange that Console would "spam" with repeated messages about it. Maybe one for start process, another for stop process, and since there are so many repeated messages something is not right. Maybe the first update will address that? Anyway, thanks for all your help dooBdoo. I really do appreciate you and all you bring to this community.