Valued Contributor

Re: If I transfer my into and minutes to a new smartphone- then?

on the other hand- we got it from tv- and it has 56 apps on it- including games he'll never play. (maybe one or two) so ?

Valued Contributor

and we just checked and in the last 3 hours w/o even using his phone -- he hasn't had the nerve to use it yet---- 40 apps used memory in 3 hours- ( he doesn't leave it on either) ---he has 746 MB free ( total memory is 2 GB-- we really don't "get" smartphones!! It also says his data hasn't been backed up yet- but he hasn't even added his contacts from his old non smart phone yet! We're really confused. We're both in our 70's and just wanted a phone for short texts - a few " calls" like "get bread and milk" or a short chat with somone tand maybe a few store apps. What is going on witht his phone?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sipp wrote:

and we just checked and in the last 3 hours w/o even using his phone -- he hasn't had the nerve to use it yet---- 40 apps used memory in 3 hours- ( he doesn't leave it on either) ---he has 746 MB free ( total memory is 2 GB-- we really don't "get" smartphones!! It also says his data hasn't been backed up yet- but he hasn't even added his contacts from his old non smart phone yet! We're really confused. We're both in our 70's and just wanted a phone for short texts - a few " calls" like "get bread and milk" or a short chat with somone tand maybe a few store apps. What is going on witht his phone?

@sipp

When I have a question about anything I do a Google , or a YouTube video search.

Here are a few questions to get you started.

How do I manage a data plan on the my Tracfone (name model number)?

What apps can I delete on Tracfone?

How to use the Wi-Fi on your smartphone at home? 

How to backup your Tracfone to your Google Gmail account? 

Is public internet safe at Starbucks or your doctor office?

You should be able to find a video showing features on your phone. 

My favorite app is called SwiftKey. It is a keyboard like Google standard, but has themes.

We all can walk around with a computer in a pocket. 

Enjoy your new technology. 

Regular Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@sipp wrote:

@sipp

When I have a question about anything I do a Google , or a YouTube video search.

Here are a few questions to get you started.

How do I manage a data plan on the my Tracfone (name model number)?

What apps can I delete on Tracfone?

How to use the Wi-Fi on your smartphone at home? 

How to backup your Tracfone to your Google Gmail account? 

Is public internet safe at Starbucks or your doctor office?

You should be able to find a video showing features on your phone. 

My favorite app is called SwiftKey. It is a keyboard like Google standard, but has themes.

We all can walk around with a computer in a pocket. 

Enjoy your new technology. 

@sipp I was going to suggest what @Nuttmeg suggested, i.e., Google is really where you should start - a picture (or video) is worth a thousand words.

On my parents' smartphone, I removed all the apps/icons from the homescreen except for the apps they use: phone icon, text icon, camera icon. (I "removed" all other apps from the homescreen, not "uninstalled" the apps.) Google "how to remove or uninstall apps on Android" (or your specific model of phone)

I also created shortcuts to the most dialed contacts on the home screen.  Google "how do I create shortcuts to my contact on Android".

It's much easier to add your contacts on your computer and have it synced to your phone.

Google "how to answer calls on my Android". Practice with each other by calling each other and answering it. Same with texts. 

I recommend changing your default display screen timeout time from the default (30 secs) to a minimum of 1 minute. (I changed my parents to 2 minutes. Google "how to change display screen timeout on Android".

I don't think I've ever read a manual/instructions (if they even still provide those) for any of my phones. I literally googled "where's the sim tray".

Esteemed Contributor

@Runner26

Samsung writes the most comprehensive service manuals.

Dell in the past wrote the best service guides?

Today people use YouTube videos for tech help. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sipp 

I just saw this section of your thread:

... the new phone has 56 apps on it!! which no way is my husband going to use those- he's lucky he can turn it on- (only because he's not tech savvy and doesn't want to be- I'm dragging him kicking and screaming into this century!) ANYHOW- he will use it to phone, and text and doubtfully take pics -- (i don't know if he will or not) and that's about the extent of it- We had to make a google account to have him get the tracfone ap- but for maybe 2 games- he'll never use the maps (our car does that) or weather or radio etc etc- SO is there any way to tell what apps are absolutely  necessary and which can be eliminated ...

Yes, many apps can be safely eliminated. All apps use up memory space, use up your data (unless you've adjusted each app's  settings to prevent this), and draw from battery charge so you'll have to recharge more often.

Further, apps can (and do) install and turn on other apps without you even knowing it.  So uninstalling, or at least deactivating unneeded apps is always advisable. 

Smartphones are initially set up (by the manufacturer) to operate to manufacturer's best advantage,  and not yours.  The newer the phone the more so.

FYI : a smartphone is called "smart" because it can be tailored to the changing needs of the individual using it. Add what you need, take out what you don't. I don't need Facebook, or games, GPS, or use internet anymore on my oldest smartphone.

There are operating settings for the phone itself. Many people don't realize most apps also have their own settings. Make sure you adjust each of those to your advantage.