Respected Contributor

IPhone vs Samsung opinions wanted

Currently using an iPhone 7. The older I get the smaller that darn screen gets. Looking to buy a new, bigger screen

phone this week. Can't afford the latest and greatest (iPhone 13) although the T mobile Forever promo makes it sound like I can. Lol.  I like Apple products ok, besides my phone I have an IPad Air. However I'm not married to the iOS platform. I've read that with android, phones are a bit more customizable- is that true and what does that actually mean in real life? I would be financing a new purchase via an add-on to my current monthly bill. Please offer opinions before I head to the T-Mobile store and get sucked into an impulsive purchase. Thanks 😊 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

Re: IPhone vs Samsung opinions wanted

My husband had the iPhone 6 and really needed a new phone.  He switched to T Mobile,  got the 12.   If you're 55 or older they have some decent plans.  

I have the 11 PRO PLUS.  I LOVE the larger screen.  I had the larger screen when I had the 6S Plus and there was no turning back.

The camera on both the 11 and 12 is AMAZING.

I like Apple products. 

Respected Contributor

Here's what I read about Samsung smartphones, re ability to customize, vsIPhone: for example, iPhone has a built in calendar. I don't like it so I installed a calendar app that I like much better. The iOS platform doesn't let me replace their calendar. It continues to use the built in one regardless of what other calendar I'm using. So I get double the notifications etc. I've heard that on a Samsung/Android phone, you can make certain apps, like a calendar app, your default choice. Is that true? 

Harmonize the World
Respected Contributor

@nyc1 hubby and I are already on the t mobile 55+ plan. We got it a few years ago. Can't beat it. Unlimited everything for $83/ month. I feel like we can handle an additional monthly charge for a new phone on top of that. 

I appreciate your great input. Yeah. I can imagine there's no going back once you have upgraded to that level 

Harmonize the World
Regular Contributor

I tried to switch to a Samsung Galaxy a couple of years ago.  The phone arrived, I activated it and immediately hated everything about it.  I got in the car, drove up to Verizon, returned the phone and went back to an iPhone.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Hi not wanting to influence you one way or the other but my Samsung Galaxy does allow me to install whatever calendar or any other app over theirs if I wish. 

Good luck,

Mint

Honored Contributor

@fairydogmother   I have an iPhone 11 and use the Fantastical calendar app.  I don't get double notifications so am not sure what you mean.  I love the Fantastical app.  I have the free version on my phone, and it works well for me.  To have it on my laptop, too, I would have to pay for it, and I don't want to do that.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I never had an Apple product.  My phone is an Android.  But, no matter what OS you use if you switch from one to the other there will be a learning curve.  People who get a new phone and immediately "hate" it didn't give themselves enough time to get used to it.  

Contributor

I finally made the switch from having every single iPhone made thru the XR.   Then I switched to the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 512gb, and never looked back.   I have T-Mobile for years.  There are things to consider though.   My kids and my family are all iPhone users.   That presents a problem as far as my texts with any videos from my kids or to my kids.   I basically ruin group video texts.    So, the answer was for those times they need to send a video in text, send it to my Apple ID on my iPad.   Thats all I use the iPad for.  Depends how important texting is.   That's my only drawback.   FaceTime I use my iPad and always did because of the larger screen.  

As far as everything else, I have gone back to using Windows PCs and laptops, and my phone works great with those devices.   I even purchased the Samsung Galaxy Book Pro 360 15" laptop and a Galaxy Watch 3.   All works great.    My MacBook Pro died a few years ago, so I never replaced it and don't miss it at all.   My business as a court reporter always ran on a Windows platform.   So, having my phone work with my laptop n PC made life simpler.  

My apps all work great.   I am going to admit, that after a year, I am still confused where my photos go, whether to my internal or SD storage card.  My other apps took time to figure out too.  My mail set up in a breeze and I have 7 different accounts.   Never encountered any problems.   I also purchased the Note to use the S-pen.......but I can count on my right hand how many times I've used it to date.   It's just there if I need to make handwritten notes etc.   

I do not have all the horrific updates as I did from Apple.   I have no viruses as many think you get on a Samsung or Windows device.  No software glitches.   My printers are recognized immediately with no issues.    

It's a phone.   Depends what you really plan to do with it.   My camera is great.......do I take advantage of all the outstanding features I have, such as running my system at 120mhz?   Nope.   I like things simple and really don't care.  Just need to text, get email, and occasionally, use the phone, which connects immediately to Bluetooth in my car.  

Just really decide on texting and FaceTime.   That is the issue that my kids battle with me.   But technology-wise, it is outstanding.  I am not only a court reporter, but I am licensed to build PCs in my old age.   

Respected Contributor

I've had both, but prefer Apple.... There's touch ID and Apple Pay and customer service is good just to mention a few reasons.