Honored Contributor

Re: IPAD - new user and a couple of questions for the experts here

@geezerette wrote:

I found “iPad The Missing Manual” by David Pogue to be the most helpful for my questions when I first got my iPad.  It was my first tablet and Apple product and I was clueless about a lot of simple things.  This book answered those as well as describing the more complicated things.

Also, I find that just Googling my questions often gets a quick and concise answer.  (You would be surprised how many other people have the same questions!)

If you can use an iMac, I’m sure you’ll catch on to the iPad quickly.   👍

@geezerette

Thanks so much.  When I first got the IMac there was a training diskette which was authored by this man. He was very good.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Toot1920 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1, you can also download a free manual from the Books app on your iPad. You can use the search function to get the answers to your exact questions. 

@Toot1920

Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

If you go into Safari and look down the list of Bookmarks you will find a Guide that came with your iPad.  Have fun!

@Still Raining

Thank you, so kind!

Oh Honey, I am right there with you.  I got the iPad 2 when it was new and a friend had to show me how to make the icons jiggle.  I was all, they do that????  She still laughs.

Regular Contributor

You have to go in a regular computer, put in your email address and password, at the top square you place a check mark and it will say delete all, but there is no place on a iPad to delete all at once.  Sorry..

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1, Welcome to the iPad!   I love mine (iPad 3 and iPad 6).   

There are so many great suggestions here in this thread -- you'll find a wealth of specific guidance on each area and feature on the internet and on the iPad's native, built-in, regularly-updated guide.   In addition, Apple.com has its own help articles and their "Support Community" located under their "Support" tab.

Take your time meandering around the device, getting acquainted and comfy with it.   You'll learn as you go.   Ask questions here, too!   We have some wonderfully knowledgeable and helpful posters.😊

To follow up on @wildcat fan's helpful step-by-step instructions, here's an example of the support offered on Apple.com (located under the "Support" tab).     Note:  Apple's images show an iPhone but the features are the same on the iPad.     Also, this is for the Inbox but it works on other mailboxes, too.

"How to delete email on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch"

For the entire article, with the detailed step-by-step instructions, copy and paste link (they might be considered a retail site, so I don't want to use a clickable hyperlink here):

support.apple.com/en-us/HT208661

Delete a single email

​     1.  ​Open Mail and go to your Inbox.
​     2.  ​Find the email you want to delete.
​     3.  ​Quickly swipe left over the message.

iPadMail1.jpg

Delete multiple emails

1.  Open Mail and go to your Inbox.

2.  Tap Edit, then select the emails you want to delete.

3.  When you're ready, tap Trash. 

(Depending on the type of email account you have, you might see Archive instead of Trash when you try to delete emails. You can edit your mailbox behavior settings to change this.)

iPadMail2.jpg

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1,  You asked another question about email, and I wonder if this in-depth support page will help?   As with the other link I posted, the detailed step-by-step instructions are available there.

"Use mailboxes to organize emails on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch"

"With Mail, you can create mailboxes to organize your emails or use Smart Mailboxes that sort emails automatically.   You can also create shortcuts for mailboxes, reorder them, and more."

Search for the title located on Apple.com or copy and paste this link:

support.apple.com/en-us/HT207213

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

If you go into Safari and look down the list of Bookmarks you will find a Guide that came with your iPad.  Have fun!

@Still Raining

Thank you, so kind!

Oh Honey, I am right there with you.  I got the iPad 2 when it was new and a friend had to show me how to make the icons jiggle.  I was all, they do that????  She still laughs.

@Still Raining

I know!  I don't have a natural ability with these things like some people do.  I keep watching videos and some are kind of helpful and some not.  Thanks!!!  

Honored Contributor

@Puggirl wrote:

You have to go in a regular computer, put in your email address and password, at the top square you place a check mark and it will say delete all, but there is no place on a iPad to delete all at once.  Sorry..

@Puggirl

That's kind of what I thought!  Wonder why they didn't make the IPad so you could do that?  I still am using my old IMac and I am able to delete trash all at once!!!  

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@AngelPuppy1, Welcome to the iPad!   I love mine (iPad 3 and iPad 6).   

There are so many great suggestions here in this thread -- you'll find a wealth of specific guidance on each area and feature on the internet and on the iPad's native, built-in, regularly-updated guide.   In addition, Apple.com has its own help articles and their "Support Community" located under their "Support" tab.

Take your time meandering around the device, getting acquainted and comfy with it.   You'll learn as you go.   Ask questions here, too!   We have some wonderfully knowledgeable and helpful posters.😊

To follow up on @wildcat fan's helpful step-by-step instructions, here's an example of the support offered on Apple.com (located under the "Support" tab).  Apple's images show an iPhone but the features are the same on the iPad.   Also, this is for the Inbox but it works on other mailboxes, too.

"How to delete email on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch"

For the entire article, copy and paste link (they might be considered a retail site, so I don't want to use a clickable hyperlink here):

support.apple.com/en-us/HT208661

Delete a single email

​     1.  ​Open Mail and go to your Inbox.
​     2.  ​Find the email you want to delete.
​     3.  ​Quickly swipe left over the message.

iPadMail1.jpg

Delete multiple emails

1.  Open Mail and go to your Inbox.

2.  Tap Edit, then select the emails you want to delete.

3.  When you're ready, tap Trash. 

(Depending on the type of email account you have, you might see Archive instead of Trash when you try to delete emails. You can edit your mailbox behavior settings to change this.)

iPadMail2.jpg

@dooBdoo

Thank you.  I get nervous just looling at the thing!  I don't know why but this thing with the swipies and up and down and so many fingers to do this and that.  LOL.  I am just not a very progressive person.  I am old school I guess.  

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@AngelPuppy1,  You asked another question about email, and I wonder if this in-depth support page will help?

"Use mailboxes to organize emails on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch"

"With Mail, you can create mailboxes to organize your emails or use Smart Mailboxes that sort emails automatically.   You can also create shortcuts for mailboxes, reorder them, and more."

Search for the title located on Apple.com or copy and paste this link:

support.apple.com/en-us/HT207213

@dooBdoo

You're very kind and I appreciate your suggestions!