Honored Contributor

IPAD - new user and a couple of questions for the experts here

Just got a new Ipad and am struggling with it, as I am NOT good wth technology at all.

Any how --- can someone tell me --- how do you delete a bunch of e-mails, regular, and trash all at once instead of having to delete them one at a time?  I have been using an old IMac for a long time and it was very easy to delete bunches at a time.  On this thing I cannot find any place to do that.  Also, there is no breakdown in types of e-mails -- for instance --- on my IMac there was a topic for Primary e-mails, and say for instance other things like for shopping ones. etc.  Also, where are the emoticons??  I know these are probably dumb questions, but as I say, I am new to this and can't figure it out.  I need to go to the Apple store which is about an hour away and take a class but don't have time right now.  Thanks!

Oh, also --- does anyone have a recommendation for a particular manual or book to purchase that explains the specifics?  I see a lot of them on-line but not sure which one would be the one to get.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: IPAD - new user and a couple of questions for the experts here

Emoticons:

when you start to type, on the lowest line to the left is a smiley face.  Touch it and you will have the bottom third of your screen filled with a running banner of emoticons.

Tips:

On your home page or swiping to the left for the second page, there should be an icon that says Tips on how to perform different actions.

Or, touch the compass icon to get to Google and type in your question specifying iPad.

Back when I started, I used iPad for Dummies, no insult intended.  I think there is also an iPad icon somewhere for a “ User’s Guide “ to the iPad.   ( try Google for locating it )

As for the email mass deletion, someone else on these boards may hold the answer.  I delete stuff everyday or create folders for articles or collection of notes by favorite friends / contacts.

The more you try things out, the more you will discover.  Have fun exploring !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

If you go into Safari and look down the list of Bookmarks you will find a Guide that came with your iPad.  Have fun!

Esteemed Contributor

To quickly delete emails, I tap EDIT at the top right when I'm in the mailbox then tap on the circles next to the individual emails I want to delete.  When I've selected several, I tap TRASH on the bottom right of the screen.

Honored Contributor

I found “iPad The Missing Manual” by David Pogue to be the most helpful for my questions when I first got my iPad.  It was my first tablet and Apple product and I was clueless about a lot of simple things.  This book answered those as well as describing the more complicated things.

Also, I find that just Googling my questions often gets a quick and concise answer.  (You would be surprised how many other people have the same questions!)

If you can use an iMac, I’m sure you’ll catch on to the iPad quickly.   👍

Super Contributor

@AngelPuppy1, you can also download a free manual from the Books app on your iPad. You can use the search function to get the answers to your exact questions. 

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

If you go into Safari and look down the list of Bookmarks you will find a Guide that came with your iPad.  Have fun!

@AngelPuppy1.  Still raining is right. Open Safari and look in top left to see the open book. Click on that and you will see IPad user guide. Click on that.

Honored Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

Emoticons:

when you start to type, on the lowest line to the left is a smiley face.  Touch it and you will have the bottom third of your screen filled with a running banner of emoticons.

Tips:

On your home page or swiping to the left for the second page, there should be an icon that says Tips on how to perform different actions.

Or, touch the compass icon to get to Google and type in your question specifying iPad.

Back when I started, I used iPad for Dummies, no insult intended.  I think there is also an iPad icon somewhere for a “ User’s Guide “ to the iPad.   ( try Google for locating it )

As for the email mass deletion, someone else on these boards may hold the answer.  I delete stuff everyday or create folders for articles or collection of notes by favorite friends / contacts.

The more you try things out, the more you will discover.  Have fun exploring !

@jlkz

Thank you. I appreciate your tips.  I am still typing on my old IMac as I got so messed up on the IPad and was getting no where fast!

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

@Still Raining

Thank you, so kind!

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

To quickly delete emails, I tap EDIT at the top right when I'm in the mailbox then tap on the circles next to the individual emails I want to delete.  When I've selected several, I tap TRASH on the bottom right of the screen.

@wildcat fan\\Thank you.  I will have to try andsee if I can get it to work!