Valued Contributor

I need a new laptop, suggestions please.

I have had one desktop and 3 laptops in my life (2 Dells and 2 I found at Walmart on sale). All lasted 10 years minimum. The one I am typing on now was a refurbished Dell gift from a friend of mine, so it has to be at least 10-15 yo now. So I got an EVOO off HSN last April for $266. I hadn't even used it for a month after delivery. So now, less than a year later, the screen went black. I took it to a shop and the man said the hard drive died. He said he couldn't do anything. He also said you get what you pay for. One of the Walmarts was cheaper. And I figure cheap shouldn't mean bad. It might mean less memory, fewer less complex functions. I really need a new laptop but I used stimulus money to buy the new one and that money is long gone. Anyone have suggestions for an inexpensive laptop with minimum 4G (I don't do complex work)? Brands please? Thanks

Trusted Contributor

Re: I need a new laptop, suggestions please.

Acer Chromebook - I love mine, never given me a minutes trouble...prior to that, I had  Lenova...loved it too !

Honored Contributor

I went through a lot of Windows computers/laptops in my life. None of them last more than a few years. I finally splurged on an Apple laptop and it's still functioning like new 10 years later. I can't imagine going back to Windows. 

Honored Contributor

Hands down Apple....and buy the warranty.  

Respected Contributor

I agree that Apple is the best.  Purchase Apple Care when you buy a new product.  Apple offers a payment plan option on its website.

Honored Contributor

@LisaMofSLC wrote:

I have had one desktop and 3 laptops in my life (2 Dells and 2 I found at Walmart on sale). All lasted 10 years minimum. The one I am typing on now was a refurbished Dell gift from a friend of mine, so it has to be at least 10-15 yo now. So I got an EVOO off HSN last April for $266. I hadn't even used it for a month after delivery. So now, less than a year later, the screen went black. I took it to a shop and the man said the hard drive died. He said he couldn't do anything. He also said you get what you pay for. One of the Walmarts was cheaper. And I figure cheap shouldn't mean bad. It might mean less memory, fewer less complex functions. I really need a new laptop but I used stimulus money to buy the new one and that money is long gone. Anyone have suggestions for an inexpensive laptop with minimum 4G (I don't do complex work)? Brands please? Thanks

You might want a new computer repair shop. A black screen is not typically a sign of a bad hard drive. And in most cases, a hard drive swap is easy and relatively cheap. Apple computers with the hard drive soldered to the motherboard being the exception to that rule. There are a lot of possible causes for a black screen on a laptop, but a failed hard drive isn't in the top ten of them. Some of the fixes are very easy (a loose cable), and some are not cost-effective (replacing the motherboard), but as a rule, a failed hard drive is an easy fix. I strongly suspect the hard drive didn't fail though. Some computer repair people just grab anything as a cause (virus, bad hard drive, etc.) rather than really figure out what's happening. 

Most modern laptops use an M.2 solid-state type of hard drive, and they tend to be reliable and are also easy to swap out should one fail. You literally pull one screw out, slide out the old drive, slide in the new one, press it down, and put the screw back in place. You then need to reinstall the operating system and whatnot, but swapping the drive is easy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I agree with gardenman, get a "second opinion" - Black screen isn't usually death of a computer. 

Same time, I've had an Acer (Loved it) 2-3 HP's (wouldnt waste my money again) and now I'm an Apple convert.  Expensive but worth every dime.  Their apple care is spot on- always helpful.  Will be the last laptop you will need, provided you don't drop it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

10 to 15 years old! ...is too old for any computer. It's not secure. The hardware inside old computers cannot handle the security software updates. Hardware does get outdated and there's nothing you can do about that except replace it with new or newer.

I have a HP all-in-one Win11 desktop and also an Acer Chromebook laptop. When my Acer CB stops updating, which all CBs do eventually, then I will get another Acer CB. I actually own two Acer CBs. I think they are simple to use and offer everything I need...no complicated anything, antivirus built in and it's maintenance free.

All Chromebooks, in all makes and models, come with an expiration date meaning they stop updating. The doesn't mean you can't use them anymore but it means the expired CB becomes open to security threats. When you go to buy a CB be sure to look at the expiration date printed on the bottom sticker where the model # is located. Or go to Auto Update Policy on Support.Google dot com and look for the model #s there. You'll find them listed by make/model along with their corresponding update end-dates.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Dell laptop is 12 and a half years old.  Still going strong - I don't think I'd have anything else.  Maybe an Apple.

But not an HP.  I bought an HP laptop for my grandson a few years ago - it died within the year - they fixed it and it died again.  Got a new one and it died too.  Done with HP.

I then bought him a Dell desktop which I also have.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Apple has their developer conference this week and the keynote address is today.  I'm hoping that right after, they'll release an updated MacBook Air in pink and I plan to buy that.

My 10 year old 27 inch iMac is still going strong, but can't receive major system updates anymore so I am going to buy.  I could stay with the iMac which I have absolutely adored but I'm  going to switch to the MacBook Air.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?