Respected Contributor

Unfortunately for me, my favorite keyboard is the one in my older MacBook Pro notebook computer.  I loved the soft touch and ease of use.  My new MacBook's keyboard is so stiff, I find myself missing letters because I didn't press the keys hard enough.  I know I can connect a different keyboard but, I use it on my lap which makes that option not an option. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 

One of the things I advise people looking for a new laptop to do is test out the keyboard and trackpad in a store. If you're not happy with either item, using the laptop will be a pain. And there's a lot of variability from laptop to laptop. For most users the specs don't matter as much as the usability. The keyboard and trackpad are how you physically connect to the computer. If there's a less than ideal connection, you won't be happy. If you're in the Apple ecosystem you don't really have much choice, but in the Windows and Chrome ecosystems options abound. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@glb613 

One of the things I advise people looking for a new laptop to do is test out the keyboard and trackpad in a store. If you're not happy with either item, using the laptop will be a pain. And there's a lot of variability from laptop to laptop. For most users the specs don't matter as much as the usability. The keyboard and trackpad are how you physically connect to the computer. If there's a less than ideal connection, you won't be happy. If you're in the Apple ecosystem you don't really have much choice, but in the Windows and Chrome ecosystems options abound. 

It's not my main computer so I can tolerate it. I like the size and how light it is so, I can't tolerate the stiff keyboard.  I just wish I knew why Apple changed it but, I'm sure it had something to do with money.  

Respected Contributor

I have the Apple plug-in keyboard with the 10 key number pad.  It, along with my iMac, is now 5+ years old.  Works well for me, so far anyway.

Honored Contributor

The new keyboard is here and it's pretty neat. Everything's a bit different than the old keyboard, but not horrible. I like the zoom key. It's pretty neat to be able to enlarge what you're viewing in a heartbeat. The Home key doesn't take me to my home page yet, so there might be some setting I need to adjust for that. No manual came with it other than a vague user guide and a warranty pamphlet. The forward and back keys are handy when web surfing. It's a very nice new keyboard.

Now that the new keyboard is here I've taken some time to look at the old one and the letter A is hanging when you hit it off-center. Hit it in the middle or right-hand side and it works fine, but hit on on the left-hand side and it locks and won't move. Quirky. I'll pop the key cover off and see if I can find a reason for it at some later date. For now, it goes into my reserve pile of stuff in case this one gives me trouble in the future.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!