Respected Contributor

Re: I need Apple people for advice please

@glb613, can you explain a bit more about the keyboard?  I have a 13-inch pro that I have had for awhile and I'm interested in getting a new computer.   I take it it is vastly different feel on the keyboard?  Do you mean you have to pound harder on the keys or ??  TIA!

Yes, you have to press the keys with greater pressure.  It reminds me of the difference between a manual typewriter and an electric one. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Nuttmeg  @glb613  Thank you both!  I spent some more time in my writers groups and a lot of them were just buying an older Mac off of eBay to run the vellum formatting software so a brand new model would do fine.  

And I think I am overthinking the book covers.  Most people have an outside designer it seems or they do manage with some of the cheaper softwares themselves.  

In researching it all until my head hurts, it looks like MacBook Air is a really great option but I have to be comfortable leaving pc behind.  Let me tell you, Windows 10 almost makes that a very easy decision.  

moving from windows to mac wasn't that hard

I can do anything on the Macbook that I did on the dell, 

everything on my iphone/ipad and mac all syncs together 

@jackthebear

A tech person can run anything. 

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@Nuttmeg  @glb613  Thank you both!  I spent some more time in my writers groups and a lot of them were just buying an older Mac off of eBay to run the vellum formatting software so a brand new model would do fine.  

And I think I am overthinking the book covers.  Most people have an outside designer it seems or they do manage with some of the cheaper softwares themselves.  

In researching it all until my head hurts, it looks like MacBook Air is a really great option but I have to be comfortable leaving pc behind.  Let me tell you, Windows 10 almost makes that a very easy decision.  

@jackthebear

So can a non-tech person.  If you have the ability to read and learn, you can do it.  I'm surprised in the year 2020 we have so many people who don't know computer basics.  It's no different than the other learning basics we need for other tasks. 

Over the weekend I talk a friend through the process of resetting her computer back to factory specs.  Yesterday I was able to get her back online.  She admitting she gets frustrated too easily and gives up too soon.  I believe this is true for a lot of people. 

Trusted Contributor

I love my MacBook Pro, although it is heavy, it is more sturdy IMO.

dee

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

I am seriously considering buying my first MacBook.  It's a huge investment but I am planning on doing a self publishing business and the gold standard for that is vellum which is a Mac only software product.

I saw the new MacBook Air is out which it sounds like people love over the most recent offerings.  The only con I can find is overheating complaints.  The best is the keyboard which is most important to me as a writer.  I heard on the other models that typing was horrible so I would rather put money in up front towards a better product.

My big objective in taking the plunge is the vellum software which says it needs 40gb and an occasional book cover design which will probably be done in Photoshop. Maybe. Still researching that one but that is gold standard too.

I don't mind stepping up a bit in price since it sounds like entry level i3 and 256 ssd won't get me far but I can't get nuts.  Right now, I am thinking the i5 512gb should fit my needs.  

Am I thinking correctly here for writing plus occasional picture editing?  Or would you have a better suggestion?

I have a Macbook Pro 13 inch and like everything but the keyboard.  It definately is NOT a soft touch style of keyboard and is nothing like my old Macbook Pro. It's not bad enough to return it or stop using it but, if it was my only or main computer, I'd use it on a desk and attach a external keyboard.  BTW, I did test it out when I was at Best Buy and it didn't seem too bad.  Sometimes it takes time to really evaluate a computer. 

@glb613, can you explain a bit more about the keyboard?  I have a 13-inch pro that I have had for awhile and I'm interested in getting a new computer.   I take it it is vastly different feel on the keyboard?  Do you mean you have to pound harder on the keys or ??  TIA!

it's just a different feel, if you touch-type, just getting used to where the keys are and a different touch. 

like when you get a new car 

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@jackthebear wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

@jackthebear

So can a non-tech person.  If you have the ability to read and learn, you can do it.  I'm surprised in the year 2020 we have so many people wh don't know computer basics.  It's no different than the other learning basics we need for other tasks. 

Over the weekend I talk a friend through the process of resetting her computer back to factory specs.  Yesterday I was able to get her back online.  She admitting she gets frustrated too easily and gives up too soon.  I believe this is true for a lot of people. 

@jackthebear i agree. We all have another great resource,YouTube .