Esteemed Contributor

Re: I'm still having problems with Pages

[ Edited ]

@glb613, glad things are improving.  I am hoping there is a techie on our committee.  I would never get into stuff like this in gardening season but it’s ok now that most of the yard work is done.  I will learn for awhile, put it away and start all over again next time.  LM

Respected Contributor

I spoke too soon.  I'm about to tear my hair out over this program.  I have a weekly meeting form I saved on my iMac as a Template.  I tried e-mailing a copy and using a thumb drive to transfer it to my MacBook.  I can open it but, the layout isn't the same as what is on my iMac.  I adjusted the layout and saved it to a folder on my desktop. When I try to open it again, I get a message it can't be opened.  What the h*ll is going on?  I finally went back to my iMac to fill in the form I need for our next meeting.  Using the program and saving documents shouldn't be this difficult.  Does anyone know what is going on and why I can't seem to create a template I can use on two different computers? 

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbird, any thoughts?  LM

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

I spoke too soon.  I'm about to tear my hair out over this program.  I have a weekly meeting form I saved on my iMac as a Template.  I tried e-mailing a copy and using a thumb drive to transfer it to my MacBook.  I can open it but, the layout isn't the same as what is on my iMac.  I adjusted the layout and saved it to a folder on my desktop. When I try to open it again, I get a message it can't be opened.  What the h*ll is going on?  I finally went back to my iMac to fill in the form I need for our next meeting.  Using the program and saving documents shouldn't be this difficult.  Does anyone know what is going on and why I can't seem to create a template I can use on two different computers? 

Have you tried the official Apple Support Forum for Pages? You can find it at: 

https://discussions.apple.com/community/iwork/pages

As is typical for Apple products (hardware and software) lots of people have lots of problems and you can find help there. Sorting through all of the posts is the biggest challenge. Like I said, lots of people have lots of problems and each day several pages of posts pile up on each device/topic. I recommend anyone considering an Apple product, expecting it to be trouble-free, to check out those forums to get a feel for the problems you might encounter. While the Apple fanboys/girls like to insist their devices are fool proof and super easy to use, those pages give a more realistic picture. A computer is a computer and none are perfect. Apple products are generally good, but if you expect them to be perfect, you'll be disappointed.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I have looked but as you pointed out, sometimes it's easier and faster to post here.  There tends to be instructions how to do things but not address the spefic problem you're having. 

I just want to use the template I created for my weekly meeting, give it a new name, save it in iCloud documents so I can use it on either my iMac or Macbook.  I save it on one computer, open it on the other computer and the formatting is different.  I fix the formatting, save it, open it on the other computer and the formatting is different.  It's maddening!  Both computers use Pages and have the latest updates.  I can't think of what would change the formatting or placement of items on the page depending on the computer you're using.  Any ideas? 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

I have looked but as you pointed out, sometimes it's easier and faster to post here.  There tends to be instructions how to do things but not address the spefic problem you're having. 

I just want to use the template I created for my weekly meeting, give it a new name, save it in iCloud documents so I can use it on either my iMac or Macbook.  I save it on one computer, open it on the other computer and the formatting is different.  I fix the formatting, save it, open it on the other computer and the formatting is different.  It's maddening!  Both computers use Pages and have the latest updates.  I can't think of what would change the formatting or placement of items on the page depending on the computer you're using.  Any ideas? 

Yeah, the Apple support forums are very, very busy. The answer (if there is one) is probably in there somewhere, but finding it is the challenge. I wonder if you could save it on another cloud and then download it without the format changing? Amazon has their Amazon Drive and gives you 5gb free storage to play with. You could try uploading the file to Amazon and then accessing it from there. (Google "Amazon Drive" for more information on that if you're interested.) I'm not sure why the cloud would affect it, but you never know. It could be a slightly different version of Pages on each device also. You could try Google Docs and see if that solves the problem. (Either create a new template in Google Docs or try opening your existing file using Google Docs. Google Docs is free by the way.) The nice thing with computers is that there's typically a workaround of some sort. It may not always be pretty, but you can generally find a way around any obstacle.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Trying Google Docs to create and save the form would let you determine if it's a Pages issue (most likely) or an OS issue. If it's an OS issue you're likely doomed, but if it's a Pages issue you can just use Google Docs instead and be good.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I'll try it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613, I am following your posts.  No wonder you are annoyed.  Grrrrr.  LM

Honored Contributor

@glb613

Regarding the Apple Forums:  If you cannot find an answer to your particular Pages problem, why don't you submit a post of your own? confused.gif

Also, if you are still under warranty and/or have Apple Care, get your $$$ worth & call them!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif