Respected Contributor

I'm still having problems with Pages

[ Edited ]

I'm about to pull my hair out trying to get Pages to do what I want.  I have created what I call a form to use for a weekly meeting.  I fill in the information for each meeting which is distributed to 2 other members.  Everytime I try to save a copy, it also alters the original and saves it with the added information.  I tried using the duplicate option under file, giving it a new name and location and it still saves the original with the new information added.  I hope I'm making sense. 

When I used Word this way, all I had to do was select "save as", give it a new name and would create the new document and the original was not altered.  What am I doing wrong and how can I save things differently?  I'm tired of having to delete the new information and resave what is the blank form. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: I'm still having problems with Pages

You need to save your original document as a template.

Once you do that, it will appear under the "My Template" section on the left side, when you first open Pages.

Open the template, complete the form each week, then save it as a regular document with a unique name.

I hope this helps!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I thought that's what I did but, maybe not.  I'll try again and see if it works.

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613, I am here for moral support only.  I had a wicked time with pages using one of their forms.  I even went to their classes but it didn’t help much.  I am glad someone chimed in with advice.  Good luck!  LM

Respected Contributor

@ up the wall.  @Lilysmom wrote:

@glb613, I am here for moral support only.  I had a wicked time with pages using one of their forms.  I even went to their classes but it didn’t help much.  I am glad someone chimed in with advice.  Good luck!  LM

Thanks, I needed that.  There are things about Apple's operating system and programs that drive me up the wall. 

Contributor

@glb613

There are some concepts in Apple that are amazing because they work so easily and so well but the free productivity suite of programs is not one of them. It’s like they went out of their way to make things difficult...with only an iPad and not an Apple computer there is no way to make some things happen. I’m glad I’m retired and have lots of time for simple tasks!

Honored Contributor

Can you copy and paste in pages? If so, you could try copying the blank form, create a new document, paste in the blank form, fill it in how you'd like, save that new document, and (God/Steven Jobs willing) you might be able to keep the blank form and the filled in form.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Can you copy and paste in pages? If so, you could try copying the blank form, create a new document, paste in the blank form, fill it in how you'd like, save that new document, and (God/Steven Jobs willing) you might be able to keep the blank form and the filled in form.

I need to complete a form for a weekly meeting and another one for a monthly meeting.  The old forms were difficult to follow so we tweaked them and they are now what I want to use.  I did save both as templates and I hope that will solve my problems. 

The other problem I have with saving documents is, no dialog box appears when you select save from the file menu options.  With Windows, you go to file then save and a dialog box pops up where you can select the name and/or location you want to save the document.  With Pages, you must change it at the top of the document.  It took me forever to figure that out. 

Apple programs may be easy for someone who has never used a Windows based program or computers.  If you have and know Windows as well as I did when I changed, there are things that not only don't make sense, they are just plain aggravating.  At least I can come here for advice. 

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613, I did a table today in pages and used my iPad to ask how to ... in pages and followed that.  I got along fine.  I did save the templates.  I am sure someone familiar with pages would have been much faster than I but I got it done.  I have a meeting Tuesday.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@glb613, I did a table today in pages and used my iPad to ask how to ... in pages and followed that.  I got along fine.  I did save the templates.  I am sure someone familiar with pages would have been much faster than I but I got it done.  I have a meeting Tuesday.  LM

Now that I'm using Pages weekly, I am getting more familiar with it.  Solving the template issue and learning how to save a document where I want has really helped.  It never occured to me I would have to learn how to save a document.  I also figured out how to change the settings so I don't share my photos with every device.  Things are better.