Honored Contributor

Re: I'm looking for a new TV. Need brand suggestions. Do you have any?

I own a Samsung and Magnavox.  They are both excellent tvs and I bought them at Target.  I save 5% with my red card and Target also has very good sales and they offer extended warranty.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@loveschocolate wrote:

We just bought an LG 4K OLED 55" smart TV. 

We have one that is 4 years old. It is a great tv.

Honored Contributor

#1.  Sony 

#2.  Samsung

Esteemed Contributor

We got ours from Costco, both 55" smart TV's. One is a Samsung and the other is LG.

Honored Contributor

I have four TVs, all Samsungs. I am very happy with them, I think they are the gold standard.

Honored Contributor

I can only say I've got a Samsung I'd like to pitch out the window.  Would never buy another.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like Sony. I would look for reviews at Amazon. It does not matter where you buy. I ordered my last TV from Amazon, and set it up myself. 

Trusted Contributor

Recently I had the "cable guy" here for an issue and he told me not to expect more than 10 years out of a TV now-a-days.  So sad.  Last TV was still going after 30 years and I gave it away as I could no longer lift it to move or clean around.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't get too hung up on one brand name over another. Modern HDTV's are largely built like computers are built these days with components bought and assembled into an HDTV then a brand label slapped on the front of the set. The power supply could be from Asus. The display panel from Samsung. The motherboard from Sony with the HDTV bearing the brand name of another company. I currently have a Samsung, Element, RCA and LG and all are pretty darn comparable in terms of performance and function. I honestly don't favor any one brand over another. Read the reviews, decide what's most important for you right now and go from there.

Five years ago 4K HDTV's were the cutting edge and you'd pay a premium for them. Now they're pretty much the same price as regular HDTV's and 8K is what people pay a premium for. Give it five years and 8K (which is really overkill on all but the biggest sets) will be routine and something new will be there to take its place.

Also, don't trust how sets look in a store setting. TV sellers have a long, long history of making sets they want to sell look better than sets they make less profit from. A few simple picture adjustments can make the best HDTV look comparable to, or worse than a very low performer. Mass merchandisers like Walmart and Target tend not to tweak them in such a manner, but electronics retailers like Best Buy and whoever else is still around have been known to tweak the settings just a bit to influence shoppers.

Whatever set you buy will become your new normal and barring a massive issue with it, will look fine and function well in your home and make you happy. There truly isn't that much difference between HDTV's these days from one brand to another.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Lilith1 

Haven't owned anything but Samsung since Mitsubishi quit making the DLP TV sets. They have been #1 in TV sales for over 10 years for a reason, and we have had no problems with any of the many we have owned, including our newest 4k.

hckynut

hckynut(john)