Honored Contributor

Re: I'm looking for a new TV. Need brand suggestions. Do you have any?

@frankenfinch   I really don't think you can go wrong with a Samsung.  I have two 42" Samsungs and find the color very true on both of them.  They also have good sound.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Right now we have 4 Element TVs. 2 are older, 2 are only couple years old. All

have worked well, no issues. Wish I could say the same about our Spectrum App and Internet service which is pretty lousy.  Element available at Target, very reasonably priced. Have one small LG smart tv, though I use it as just a normal tv in kitchen, $98 at Best Buy. Purchased it because it is white and matched my kitchen. Works fine. Any brand should be ok for you.....all are made overseas these days and are disposable, not repairable.  I’d buy the cheapest that has features you need. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@frankenfinch wrote:

Went to Best Buy yesterday to see what's out there. The salesman took me to the area where the floor is marked and it determines the tv size range recommended for the distance between your seating area and the tv. 

I can go up to 49". The only two options on the floor in that size were a Sony and a Samsung. The salesman recommended the Sony because the color was more realistic ($200 cheaper than the Samsung). Both are 2160 & 4k, however, and this is a big however for me, without me even mentioning the sound tone, he brought up the one negative customers have told him re the Sony is the low sound tone. 

He told me that what people are doing to remedy this is to buy a sound bar. So if I were to add a sound bar it would bring the cost comparable to the Samsung.

Tv still hanging on. Gotta do more research to see what else is out there in that size and look at some online reviews.

@frankenfinch 

You may want to consider how you plan to use a TV's?  How many HDMI and USB connectors? Are you planning or need a Fire Stick? Do these sets have a voice remote? What other sound inputs? Bluetooth?

what type of Wi-Fi dual band Mimo? You can find basic information in a service guide online?

Enjoy

Frequent Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@frankenfinch wrote:

Went to Best Buy yesterday to see what's out there. The salesman took me to the area where the floor is marked and it determines the tv size range recommended for the distance between your seating area and the tv. 

I can go up to 49". The only two options on the floor in that size were a Sony and a Samsung. The salesman recommended the Sony because the color was more realistic ($200 cheaper than the Samsung). Both are 2160 & 4k, however, and this is a big however for me, without me even mentioning the sound tone, he brought up the one negative customers have told him re the Sony is the low sound tone. 

He told me that what people are doing to remedy this is to buy a sound bar. So if I were to add a sound bar it would bring the cost comparable to the Samsung.

Tv still hanging on. Gotta do more research to see what else is out there in that size and look at some online reviews.

@frankenfinch 

You may want to consider how you plan to use a TV's?  How many HDMI and USB connectors? Are you planning or need a Fire Stick? Do these sets have a voice remote? What other sound inputs? Bluetooth?

what type of Wi-Fi dual band Mimo? You can find basic information in a service guide online?

Enjoy

lol. Most of what you've mentioned is a foreign language to me! I just want a tv to watch tv shows like in the old days. But a larger screen size than my current 35" since the eyes get squinty at times. 

My twin watches tv on her 30 yr old 8"crt tv. I don't know how does it. Our condo assn has a digital msg channel. Sometimes she texts me if she can't read the words on the screen. Smiley Very Happy

Spoiler
Spoiler

Frequent Contributor

Sorry for the spoiler block again. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

A brand that has been on the rise in popularity,  affordability and reliability is TCL. They are the most popular brand sold in China and has become an excellent choice for those looking to get great features at a reasonable cost.  I own one that came with Roku built in and it has such a good picture. Easy to set up and the remote control is so user friendly. I would buy another TCL in a heartbeat. Great TV.

My other big TV is 65" LG 4K OLED...expensive but that's OLED...not to be confused with QLED (Samsung), different technologies.

When you buy a new TV today, you are buying today's technology. In just a blink of an eye, that 'new' technology is old. So my advice is to buy a TV with the features you need and one that doesn't cost a bunch. It will be obsolete before you know it. 4K TVs have come down drastically in price...8K TVs are up and running and that's the reason why.

A good place to read about TV reviews, features,  brands...etc...is CNET dot com. They will show you places to buy them, too.

@Lilith1 An electronics column in my local paper also recommended TCL as a good brand for which you'd get good value.

I don't have any personal recommendations as the market changes so rapidly.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@ritasNo1Fan :  Vizios are notorious for not having great sound.  We bought a sound bar (doesn't matter what brand, go by reviews) for $125 and that solved our Visio problem.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@frankenfinch

Please forgive a geek for all the tech speak. 

Amazon has the best reviews. They give customers the most information about buying a TV. 

You may find it helpful to compare TV models using a Google search. Samsung model Abcrtw VS Sony 23046.

This should bring up reviews and YouTube videos. 

Esteemed Contributor

@frankenfinch :  Don't buy your t.v. from Best Buy!  I think their return/ exchange is 30 days (unless you buy a warranty).  Go to Amazon, sort by size, read the reviews, buy.  

Trusted Contributor

Our tv just started with verticle lines so this thread has been very helpful. There are so many to choose from, it's very confusing. Going to amazon to read reviews is a great idea. We've been looking all over online for reviews. We want to see the picture for ourselves so we plan to buy in store, probably Sam's. Hubby has a little hearing problem, so the sound will be important, as tvs go.