Honored Contributor

Re: I'm looking for a new TV. Need brand suggestions. Do you have any?

[ Edited ]

@Lilith1 wrote:

Hi,

Please help. I can't decide. thank you

My two year old Sony is awesome. I bought I through Amazon. Priciest are lowest two or three weeks before Christmas. I have a 900. I love it. Before this I had thre expensive TVs die on me. The LG lasted for 2.5 years, the Samsung for 6. Look on YouTube for reviews of the models you are considering. THE BEST YOUTUBE REVIEWS OF TVS ARE BY THESE INCREDIBLE PEOPLE AT RTINGS.COM. LOOK FOR THEIR REVUEWS ON YOUTUBE. 

Esteemed Contributor

Another vote for TCL with Roku from Best Buy. Bought mine last summer.

Costco has them, too but check the model number.  it may be older.and not have upgraded sound quality and other features.

My Sony is about 10 years old. still going strong. My little Magnavox was purchased in 2007. Good picture, poor sound- maybe due to small size. Fits on the kitchen counter with room to spare under the cabinet.

Wait 'til Black Friday if possible. Best prices of the year

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

All our tv's are Samsung. 

Honored Contributor

You can buy a lemon in even the best brand. I would go to Best Buy and see how various televisions perform, you also need to keep in mind the size and how much money you want to spend. I use to get Sonys all the time, however I think you were paying for the name, I don't know if they were any better than every other brand.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

LG makes screen panels for many of the other brands of TVs including Samsung and Sony. Lots of TVs share some of the same guts which are manufactured in the same factories...they just put their brand name on the finished products and that can cost you more or less.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just bought a Visio from Target.  The picture is very good, but the sound isn't so hot.  But I can live with it.   The price was more than excellent (very cheap).   I think I will eventually get a Samsung if an earthquake knocks this one down to the floor.

Frequent Contributor

The last 3 days my tv has been struggling to get a clear picture when I first turn it on, nothing but lines and a yellowish-purple color. Takes about 3 minutes before a clear image appears.

Hopefully it doesn't die before the Black Friday sales. 

I'll start looking at some of the models at Best Buy to get an idea of what size and model I'd like.

I do remember that the last time, 11yrs ago, I was looking for a tv the Sonys were picture perfect but the sound was too low so that was a no for me. Ended up with my current Samsung. 

Honored Contributor

We have two Sony TVs. No problems and I will buy Sony in the future also. TVs have changed so much in price and quality now that it is hard to compare a 20 yr old one with how they are made now. I recommend Sony. Daughter has an LG and one large corner section of the screen went dark after two months. She has had no luck with the warranty or customer service so far. They don’t fix TVs anymore....they replace. And they told her no replacement...so I would not recommend LG.
Esteemed Contributor

I've got two Samsungs:  one was an Amazon Big Deal or something; the other, refurbished.  Had them both around ten years, I'd say - don't really remember.

Three or four years ago, I bought a Visio from Amazon for my bedroom.

Hope I don't jinx myself but I've been very pleased with each one:  great color, sound.  I must say I was leery of purchasing a Visio, but can say don't be - great TV.

I don't have all the newest bells and whistles on any of the TVs; therefore, don't know if that makes a difference - sometimes the more you add, the better chance of having problems.

Frequent Contributor

Went to Best Buy yesterday to see what's out there. The salesman took me to the area where the floor is marked and it determines the tv size range recommended for the distance between your seating area and the tv. 

I can go up to 49". The only two options on the floor in that size were a Sony and a Samsung. The salesman recommended the Sony because the color was more realistic ($200 cheaper than the Samsung). Both are 2160 & 4k, however, and this is a big however for me, without me even mentioning the sound tone, he brought up the one negative customers have told him re the Sony is the low sound tone. 

He told me that what people are doing to remedy this is to buy a sound bar. So if I were to add a sound bar it would bring the cost comparable to the Samsung.

Tv still hanging on. Gotta do more research to see what else is out there in that size and look at some online reviews.