Respected Contributor

Re: I love my iPhone 5, but went to my Verizon store today and ordered a 6!!

Thanks lyn....I'm going to have to re-read all that again...although it does sound like the 5 would be fine for me. The only thing that might concern me is the battery life you mentioned on the 5 compared to the 6. I am surprised at how fast the battery depletes compared to the phone I had. I make sure all my apps are closed and nothing running that I don't need, and this morning I was 100% charged...didn't use my phone....and within 2 hours I was down to like 94% or so.

If I got the 5, how would I update to iOS8...is it a purchase from Apple or is an auto update?

This is all new to me so please forgive me for the stupid questions.

Also, someone mentioned "installing software".....what is that about?

TIA

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

Having my 6+ in my hands, I realize completely that this is a VERY individualized choice. If you can easily SEE the screen on the 5S, you probably wouldn't need the 6+. If you walk/text you might prefer the 5s. If you carry your phone mostly in a pocket, 5s. If you will use your phone as a "phablet", carry it in your purse/brief case, have particular apps in constant use that eat a lot of space, the 6+ is a wonderful piece of equipment. I'm totally delighted with mine. Smiley Happy!
Honored Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Lotus~ said:

Thanks lyn....I'm going to have to re-read all that again...although it does sound like the 5 would be fine for me. The only thing that might concern me is the battery life you mentioned on the 5 compared to the 6. I am surprised at how fast the battery depletes compared to the phone I had. I make sure all my apps are closed and nothing running that I don't need, and this morning I was 100% charged...didn't use my phone....and within 2 hours I was down to like 94% or so.

If I got the 5, how would I update to iOS8...is it a purchase from Apple or is an auto update?

TIA

when you buy your phone, you establish an account with Apple and itunes where you will install itunes on your computer and where you can install the new OS and back up your phone. Very simple.

Respected Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Lynnj said:
On 11/24/2014 violann said: Got it!!!! It's installing my software right now.
Congrats. Have fun with your new toy.

Yay Yay........you'll discover new things ever day.....enjoy!!

Super Contributor

TIA

The update will be located in your settings, the app that looks like a gear. It's grey. In that click on general, then click software update. It will scan to see if there is an update available for your phone (and there will be for the 5s because they have iOS7 installed). You can download and install the update on wifi, but be sure to plug your phone in...sometimes update and install process can take a while, so you want to make sure your batter doesn't run out. You can also do the same update by plugging your phone into your computer, then open iTunes. Locate your phone on the left panel, then click on it to see summary page. In the middle,,on the top left of the page, you will see a button to download and install update (if one is available). So two,options to do the same thing. This is only for operating system software updates. Your apps, that you downloaded from the App Store,,will have updates located in the App Store app, click on updates. Any updates for any apps will all be listed there. I highly recommend clicking on them one at a time to update, rather than the button that says update all. Whenever I do update all my system crashes.
Super Contributor

TIA

My last post was long, so let me address your battery question here. Copy/paste this limk into your browser. It's a website that has suggestions (with pictures on how to) to change settings on the phone to help with battery life. ----http://ipod.about.com/od/iphone3g/tp/iphone-battery-life.htm-----there is also a long standing thread here in electronics, iPad tips and tricks. It goes a few years back, and very long, but very worth the read. Many, if not all,,suggestions still work even though we are all on different operating systems now. Though, how to set it may be located somewhere else. Just holler if you have questions....I'll go find the thread now and bump it up for you so you see it.
Super Contributor

Lotus, I went to bump that iPad tips and tricks thread for you, but it said commenting period has ended grrrr You'll have to get to it yourself...use the search,,located at the top left of the Q page. Make sure the drop down is set to Electronics. In the search field type Tips and Tricks. It should come up for you. There are two...one is the original that I referenced above, the other was started when iOS 7 was released. Both are great reads.
Contributor

I ordered my iPhone 6 directly from ATT online. I thought it would take weeks but much to my surprise I received an email telling me it had been shipped. I received it 2 days and I'm very pleased with it.

Respected Contributor

Hi Lyn......thank you sooooooo much for all of the information....I had no idea. I am going to try and follow your instructions and also find that thread. I have a feeling I will need some help from my son.

Thanks again....and I will keep you posted.

You were very nice to post all that.....you sound like an iPhone expert!

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy