Respected Contributor

Re: I got my first scam call................................. OMG lol.

@GSPgirl wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

Just a heads up for everyone... this call was a "robo" call and it told me to call a 900 number. What word I was able to understand was this was about a Apple product. I have no IPAD anymore so I knew this was a scam. And I would know this was a scam anyway, these companies do not call you, Just letting everyone know. Woman Wink

This is why I got rid of my land line.  I also tell my mom to never ever answer the phone until you hear a friend, or doctor, or family member on the answering machine. 

My sister screens her calls through her answering machine.  I finally got so sick of saying are you there?  Pickup the phone.  I finally started hanging up as soon as I hear the recording.  It might work for your family but, it doesn't work for me.  

Respected Contributor

And a couple days ago I got the "can you hear me" call.  They'll always be out there. 

Anway, thanks for the info. since we do use an iMac, and iPad and a couple of iPhones.

Respected Contributor

QGirl2:  We've gotten "robo-calls" on our cell phones, too.  Getting rid of you land line won't stop the problem.  Vigilence is the answer.

By the way, your advice to your mom is what we follow for our land line.  It does work.

Honored Contributor

I had a scam call last night from one of the two major political parties. I contacted the state office this morning, and sure enough, the call hadn’t come from them.

I NEVER pick up a land line call unless I recognize the phone number, but we’ve been taking care of an ill family member and it rang through while I was talking to someone else.

I was thinking last night that the whole call had seemed fishy, and that was confirmed when I called the state office. 

LOSER!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Ugh!    I wish people would stop answering these calls.  Answering them is what makes them continue to succeed.  Even if you don't buy in to their scams, you have validated your phone number.

I'm starting to get more lately - like 3-4 a day - which is a drag.  Of course, I'd never pick up and block them immediately, as that's about the best you can do.

I do have nomorobo but am beginning to wonder if it is becoming less effective.

For my cell phone I just keep it on 'do not disturb' with the rule that only people in my contacts list can get through.   That has taken care of the problem for my cell phone.    Also, be sure to make the rule for both phone calls and texts because some of them will send texts.  

I HATE that this is something that cannot be stopped.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We still use  a landline with no caller ID on the phone, so we don’t know who is calling.  We don’t use the telephone very often, so most of our calls are either recordings or potential scams.  We got a scam call the other day supposedly from Dish TV.  That one was a first.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

Ugh!    I wish people would stop answering these calls.  Answering them is what makes them continue to succeed.  Even if you don't buy in to their scams, you have validated your phone number.

I'm starting to get more lately - like 3-4 a day - which is a drag.  Of course, I'd never pick up and block them immediately, as that's about the best you can do.

I do have nomorobo but am beginning to wonder if it is becoming less effective.

For my cell phone I just keep it on 'do not disturb' with the rule that only people in my contacts list can get through.   That has taken care of the problem for my cell phone.    Also, be sure to make the rule for both phone calls and texts because some of them will send texts.  

I HATE that this is something that cannot be stopped.  

I get valid calls from numbers I don't know.  I hate it when people screen their calls using the answering machine so I don't.  I guess I have a greater tolerance for these calls.  When I realize it's a scam or robocall, I hang up.  No big deal.  Depending on the call, I sometimes play along with them just for laughs.  I can't imagine getting as upset as some of you seem to do over robocalls.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for your repies. We got rid of the land line and its been very quiet thank goodness. No more robo calls.Woman Wink