Honored Contributor

Re: I finally got the phone call about my Windows computer

On 7/23/2014 glb613 said:

The caller had a heavy accent, claimed my computer was sending all types of messages to their servers and needed fixed. I asked how much it was going to cost to fix my Windows computer. I also asked how stupid does he think I am. He wouldn't give me an answer because I think he was caught off guard. I told him he might be able to scam some people but it wasn't going to be me. I laughed and hung up.

Good for you Gail,

I like to play games with some that think I am a "fish easy to scam" and I usually like to tie them up as long as I am having fun. At least while I am tying up their time that have less time to try to scam others.

Love listening to some of the nonsense they think I believe. This doesn't apply to only computers I have them calling me for all kinds of things and when I am in a talkative mood I always give them a go. My wife loves this when I do this as usually use "speaker" on the phone with these people.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

You've got to give credit to the malware distributors of the world, they're very creative. If they can't get you to open something, click on something, or find a way to slip malware past your defenses, they now want you to just give them control of your computer and let them install it themselves. They're very ballsy if nothing else.

It's been kind of entertaining to watch their distribution systems evolve. In the early days of Windows there were so many holes it was easy to get malware installed. Now Windows is very secure and it's much more challenging for them, but they don't give up. They're always exploring new ways of getting their software onto your computer. They pretty much have to trick consumers into installing it these days and they're remarkably resourceful in their attempts.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

They are also successful because people are so gullible.

Honored Contributor

I've gotten several of these calls over the last few years. The first one left me a little nervous since I'm not a tech savvy person and am always panicked about my computer, but even at that point my common sense had told me that Microsoft is not going to call me on the phone. I just hang up since they're wasting my time, but the last time someone like this called my husband happened to pick up the phone. He listened for a while, then started arguing with the person (who had gotten rude) and finally told them that he knew they were scamming him (they disagreed). Of course in the end he just hung up too.

We are some of the few people that still have a landline and are listed in the phone book, so we get a lot of these types of calls even though we're on the no-call list. We even got a recorded message from someone saying they were from the IRS and we needed to call them immediately or they were going to start legal proceedings. These people are even too lazy to have a live person call you! And to top it off, the number they left wasn't even toll-free!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Respected Contributor

A friend of mine is really good with phone calls like that. I remember one time someone called her house selling replacement windows. In her best countrified voice she told heim, "Winders? What the heck do ah need winders fer? I live in a tent."

Honored Contributor

The ones that get me are the state police or sheriff's department calling to ask for donations to whatever charity. Those are the people that are always telling the public not to give money to people calling you on the phone!!!

Honored Contributor

A few tips from the security officer who teaches classes at the medical centers I work with:

1--Best advice: Never answer calls if you don't recognize the caller ID or if it appears it's being hidden.*

2--Specific to these "support calls," companies such as Microsoft rarely call a customer. If the caller ID has been spoofed (which in itself is illegal) to show a company like Microsoft, Apple, Dell, etc., let it go to voice mail. If it's legitimate, they'll leave a message for you.

*The vast majority of these are robocalls. Their automated systems simply auto-dial, scrolling chronologically through numbers waiting for someone to answer. Once you answer, your number goes on a list of "live" numbers (a phone number that actually goes to a person). Then, your phone number goes on a list which is shared or sold to other unscrupulous callers. And if you answer and purposefully anger the caller, your number is likely to be shared/sold even more aggressively.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

On 7/24/2014 geezerette said:

The ones that get me are the state police or sheriff's department calling to ask for donations to whatever charity. Those are the people that are always telling the public not to give money to people calling you on the phone!!!

These guys are not your local police or sheriff's department. Just paid callers looking for a donation. The best thing to do is hangup.

Valued Contributor

I got one of those calls yesterday! A guy with a heavy Indian accent. I told him it was bad karma to scam people and hung up! I wish there was a report inappropriate call button on the phone, that would go to the police!