Trusted Contributor

I didn't know you had to subscribe to get Blink to work

I think they should make that clear when they present these cameras. I can see a picture of someone at my front door, but it can not be stored and it can't be a video unless you subscribe to Blink at a minimum of $3 a month. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I didn't know you had to subscribe to get Blink to work

Amazon's Blink page shows "live stream" without a subscription?

Disclaimer: I don't have Blink or Amazon Anything.

Super Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

I think they should make that clear when they present these cameras. I can see a picture of someone at my front door, but it can not be stored and it can't be a video unless you subscribe to Blink at a minimum of $3 a month. 

All security cameras require a subscription to store video. I have two Ring  doorbells and pay $100 a year.  You don't have to subscribe but, what's the point if you don't have a copy or a recording of who has been at your home?  

Honored Contributor

@geegerbee wrote:

I had a video I wanted to keep and I just saved it to my phone, then plugged the phone into a computer and saved it there, too.  Maybe that's an option that will help.  I would not pay them another dime!

Furthermore, two things - 1)  I did not even know about this subscription thing; and 2) IMO, these Blink cameras suk!  I hate them so much.  (I didn't buy them.  The husband did and he's not one for researching before buying)

BTW, as to the one video I chose to keep - I'm still trying to figure that out. It was some bizarre entity that flew through the scope of that camera's view.  It was at night and it wasn't anything like a bird or even bat or anything that comes to mind.  So, I decided to keep it.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

You can only see live videos on Blink. In order to store videos you have to pay for a subscription because it is being save on their cloud service. Same goes for Ring. I have Blink and Ring. I pay $3/month to store my Ring videos. I don't pay for Blink because I mainly use that to view my puppy while I am not home.

Frequent Contributor

@gadgetgal613 wrote:

@geegerbee wrote:

All security cameras require a subscription to store video. I have two Ring  doorbells and pay $100 a year.  You don't have to subscribe but, what's the point if you don't have a copy or a recording of who has been at your home?  

That's not true.  I recently bought a wired security camera from Sam's club that uses an SD card to capture video and requires no subscriptions to anything.

Super Contributor

@NanaFrost wrote:

@gadgetgal613 wrote:

@geegerbee wrote:

That's not true.  I recently bought a wired security camera from Sam's club that uses an SD card to capture video and requires no subscriptions to anything.

All of the ones I checked out require a subscription.  Good to know. 

Esteemed Contributor

Blink just started this subscription thing....My daughter got us the cameras last Christmas ans we didn' have to subscribe then....but a few months ago we had to sign up