Esteemed Contributor

Re: I bought my Laptop at HSN

@Katcat1 wrote:

They had the best deal for me.  8GB, 1 year Office and 5 years Tech Assistance.  5 easy pays.  I read on the Internet that HP performed higher in almost every category (except 1) compared to Dell.  I own a Dell now and it is almost dead and I have not owned it for very long, say 3 years.  What is especially nice is the easy pay.  I did compare prices with Best Buy and QVC.

@Katcat1enjoy

Respected Contributor

@apple1964 wrote:

8GB's would not last me a half hour.

She's talking about RAM not hard drive space.  How would you use more than 8 GB or RAM in 30 minutes? 

Esteemed Contributor

My tablet goes with me, I use it mostly for work which is very heavy use with downloads and document space. I need at least 32 Gs of space and a larger ram then what we are talking about in these laptops. Just updating takes up a hugh amount of space on my tablet and Chrombooks. And that is for work not counting music my books and games. I needed a card for additional space for this. I would never get a computer device from any shopping channel my experience has been very bad with that.If this works for you fine for me any many others it does not.

Esteemed Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@apple1964 wrote:

8GB's would not last me a half hour.

She's talking about RAM not hard drive space.  How would you use more than 8 GB or RAM in 30 minutes? 

I miss spoke yes..... I was talking about hard drive space. I made a error it happens. To all of us. I hope they mean a 8gbs of ram because the reviews have not been so good on this laptop.

Valued Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

8GB for a tablet is not much but for a PC it's plenty enough because that's the storage on the hard drive which tablets don't have...tablets rely on their stored memory mostly on cards, not drives.

No - you are confusing RAM with hard drive (permanent)  storage.   Most new laptops give you a huge amount of hard drive storage, but not much RAM.  RAM is the internal memory that the computer uses when it reads in a program.   If you are limited by RAM, the computer does what is called swapping - it trades one program for another - and this is what slows down your computer.   You need a minimum of 16 GB RAM to get decent performance out of a laptop.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Valued Contributor

I have to disagree.  Most people run many apps at the same time.  Unless you only do 1 or 2,  you will be okay, but how many tabs do you have open in your browser?  Each one has its own RAM requirements.  If you ever add RAM to a slow machine, you will be amazed at the improvement.  I have done that in the past, but the HP doesn't support memory enhancements.

Honored Contributor

Like I said before, I have eight gigs of RAM in my desktop, I typically have eight browser windows open, Word open with one of my novels (250 pages or so) on it, Facebook open, and more, and I tend to max out at about six gigs of RAM being used. Eight gigs is plenty for most people. The only times you really need more is if you're playing high end games, or doing video editing. Depending on the motherboard, you can put as much as 128 gigs of RAM in a computer, but there's very rarely a need for more than eight gigs of RAM. If you're building a computer for hardcore gaming, or video editing, then jump up to sixteen or thirty-two gigs, but for most users, eight gigs is fine. You can get by with four, but eight is the better option. 

People get hung up on numbers and want better stats, but in the real world you rarely notice a difference. My current computer uses an AMD FX 6300, six core processor. It's far from state-of-the-art, but even doing photo editing with Adobe Photoshop Elements 2019 the CPU usage tops out at about ten percent. Most of the time it rumbles along at one or two percent. I've got an SSD with the OS on it and my most frequently used programs, and the computer is very quick and perky. Could I build a faster one? Sure. But, it's not worth spending hundreds/thousands to save a few seconds of time.

Some of the new CPU's like the Threadripper have as many as 24  or more cores. The vast majority of users don't need that level of performance though. (Or the $2000+ price tag associated with some of the latest and greatest CPU's.) Ego can get people spending a vast amount of money to buy the latest and greatest, but the only time you really see a real difference is in benchmark tests. You can pretty easily spend ten thousand dollars building a state-of-the-art computer, but never notice a difference in daily use over a five hundred dollar computer.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1  - Enjoy your new laptop!  It looks like it has 8 GB of RAM and 1 TB of storage and that's more than enough for your needs, from what you've said.  Having Office already installed makes life easier.

We have all HP's in our home (three desktops and one laptop).  My laptop is at least 10 years old and the only thing that has gone wrong is that the battery finally died.

Don't let anyone spoil your joy in your new purchase!  Especially when they've got it wrong.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Venezia  Thank you.  I did price comparing with two other sources and then I did a little research as to what brand was better HP vs. Dell.  HP won hands down except in one category so that is how I made my decision and, of course, I had a price in mine and appreciated the flex pay. Oh, I also received that drop/spill for one year.  Nothing is perfect but I hope this computer lasts more than 2 or 3 years like my last Dell.

kindness is strength