Respected Contributor

Re: I bought a Mac book pro

[ Edited ]

I'm 77+ years old.  I'm no "geek".  However, it looks excellent  I have 16GB of Ram; does great for me.  I happen to have a router so that others in my household can access the internet; that's something you can add later.

For software, consider this.  I have a "money management" program (guess I can't name it here) that I use to record all of our daily expenses.  I also took a good deal of time to set up "categories" to separate tax deductible expenses from other expenses.  I then use the report function at the end of the year to print a report of those expenses and send it to the person who does my taxes.  Makes year-end work really no work and well worth the time setting it up.  That's the only additional software I've ever had on my Macs.

Respected Contributor

@glb613 I called and was going to put it up to 32GB....guy said no....I did not need it. Would be another $600 but like u said, add now...he was sort of abrupt.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

wrote:

@glb613 I called and was going to put it up to 32GB....guy said no....I did not need it. Would be another $600 but like u said, add now...he was sort of abrupt.

I agree, it would be overkill.  I have 8 GB of RAM in my iMac and it's fine for 95% of what I do.  Have fun with your new computer.  I love have a big 27 inch screen. 

Honored Contributor

@cbrite

Adding RAM is a personal preference and/or depends on how you are going to use your Mac.  I am old school.  I always max out the RAM.  I also purchase RAM from a 3rd party.  Apple charges way to much for RAM.

For that piece of mine, you can get AppleCare for an extra 3 yrs of coverage.

I have the same iMac.  The only difference is that it was a "gift" from Apple because of what happened to my "out of warranty" 2012 iMac.

YOu're going to enjoy your new iMac.  Welcome to the Mac Community.  I've been using iMacs since 1999.  My first iMac...Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at Tue, Feb 13, 2018-5.17.55 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor
@Cats3000 wrote:

I'm 77+ years old.  I'm no "geek".  However, it looks excellent  I have 16GB of Ram; does great for me.  I happen to have a router so that others in my household can access the internet; that's something you can add later.

For software, consider this.  I have a "money management" program (guess I can't name it here) that I use to record all of our daily expenses.  I also took a good deal of time to set up "categories" to separate tax deductible expenses from other expenses.  I then use the report function at the end of the year to print a report of those expenses and send it to the person who does my taxes.  Makes year-end work really no work and well worth the time setting it up.  That's the only additional software I've ever had on my Macs.

@Cats3000  I would like to know the name of your money management program.  You can name it here.  The only thing you can't do is post links to websites that sell things or have advertisements for things for sale on them.  

I was looking for something like you described and never could find exactly what I wanted.  I would appreciate knowing the name of your program.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

i have mackeeper on my mac it is on your computer you should see it on the computer does a good job. 

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest, enjoy your new computer.  I have MacBook Pro (2016).  

I am in Canada.  I am going to a class at my library about MacBooks.  It is a one on one.  I need some help with documentation setup.  LM

Honored Contributor

@cbrite...you will love your mac...I have used them for 25+ years....I certainly don't know the ins and outs of how they operate like the people on these boards that can give vaulable advice but they are user friendly.

And the 'help' feature is really very helpful.

Respected Contributor

Re: I bought a Mac book pro

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac Oh now cute is that pnk one!!!

Thanks @goldensrbest@Mom2Dogs@Lilysmom@tockerman for the great replies! I can't wait....Heart

eta / correct spelling of pink

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

After the latest MS update...it was a doozy and it shut down my PC and I had to reinstall WIN10 a few times before it would operate and then reinstall all of my apps after each try.Woman Mad I'm beginning to consider Apple after that last fiasco.Woman Tongue