Honored Contributor

I Need Help Buying A New Laptop

Let me just state I am not tech savvy and would very much welcome any advice I could get! I want to buy a new laptop, and am interested in an HP. I have looked on their website, I'm thinking it is better to customize a laptop rather than get whatever Best Buy has in stock. I don't want a 2-in-1 and am looking at the HP Envy.I want the 7th generation Intel, but am not sure how much memory is enough. I don't think I want a touchscreen which seems to be optional on some models. I also read somewhere a touchscreen drains the battery. Now I saw a model HP Envy 15-as151nr and HP Envy 15-as152nr (I have no idea what the letters and numbers mean). Also do I need UHD or is HD good enough? I also don't know what SSD means as it pertains to the hard drive. If anyone can take the time to advise I would greatly appreciate it!TIA

Honored Contributor

Re: I Need Help Buying A New Laptop

@shark  just bought one.  She knows a lot about them.

Honored Contributor

I'm liking my new Apple Mac Mini.

Smooth and easy. Just have to learn how Apple does stuff as compared to Windows.  I already had my monitor, keyboard and mouse from my old Windows 10. Saved few hundred that way.

I was told I wouldn't have to worry about antispyware, antivirus, malware, etc. That's a time saver right there no constant updating all the time.

Security updates, your allowed to pick and choose what you think is necessary.  They don't come in constantly and haven't done any damage LOL

I would buy again !

Good luck !

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2, I think the all of the shopping channels are an excellent resource for understanding what your computer should be able to do -- and what you would like it to do.   Meaning their presentations can help prepare you to buy the most basic, or buy up to bells and whistles, regardless of where you choose to purchase.  I for one am comfortable as a user, but am not with the mechanical tech stuff. Every computer (desktop, laptop, reader, tablet) that I have ever purchased has either been from QVC or HSN.  I did my homework and definitely compared what I was getting to what it would cost elsewhere (not just taking the presentation graphic as gospel).  I have never felt cheated.  My feeling about QVC and HSN with computers has invariably been I got quality models complete with software programs I actually could utilize in my daily computering, but may not have been willing to purchase separately.  Lifetime Tech  Support stands out to me as something I probably would not have purchased  on my own separately, but after having it included with a computer-- and having used it a few times, it is one I consider extremely valuable.  Best Buy type stores don't offer things like that. 

Honored Contributor

Only buy Apple products...very intuitive and love the quality.  Wishing you the best with your HP.

Honored Contributor

I bought mine from a local computer mom and pop type of place that is a authorized reseller of the Apple brand and paid the person to come out and set up for me , so, I could avoid any mess ups. They sit down and bing, bang , boom set 'er up all in under hr.  Also, shelled out for the 3 yr. protection plan to have coverage up the wazoo. LOL

Respected Contributor

@SharkE - I don't know who told you that you don't need to run anti-virus on your mac, but I strongly disagree and so do most experts.  As Mac popularity grows, so does the threat.  I run avast on my mac.  It's free and does a good job.

Respected Contributor

I bought the HP Envy 17t with Core i7 and just received it the 23rd. I believe UHD is sometimes referred to as "professional" level graphics and has 4x the normal resolution. I think SSD stands for Solid State Drive, and the 151nr could be a series number. I continued to want a DVD burner and chose a model with one and without touch screen. There may be more information in their specs or someplace else on the internet about the options. I purchased my child's laptop for college on that site, and I like that you can customize it. I ordered mine on Cyber Monday and got a good deal. Enjoy customizing your computer and good luck.

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

@SharkE - I don't know who told you that you don't need to run anti-virus on your mac, but I strongly disagree and so do most experts.  As Mac popularity grows, so does the threat.  I run avast on my mac.  It's free and does a good job.

You know that's funny. The techs told me it wasn't a concern. Then, I had a pal to tell me she had put in Avast for Mac. I ran Gibson research scan on my Mac and my 2 Windows and it showed I was in stealth mode and passed with high honors. 

Course, I got the 3 yr protection plan if a baddie would get me.

Honored Contributor

Thanks to everyone for their input. As far as getting an Apple product, I was thinking about buying the latest MacBook Pro. It is much more costly and it now has the touch bar (I'm not sure if that's what it's called), but have read some unfavorable reviews on the new models.