Valued Contributor

Re: Husbands one year SMART tracfone is due to expire so?

[ Edited ]

HELP AGAIN!!!--- Finally got to the page (after many tries) that offers the 1 year for $45 (after the $5 for texts)-- BUT we have grandfathered in triple everything phones- I get that for the  $45 they're not going to give us 3 years- but what about if we ever need the data etc? Like what if we start taking pictures with our cameras on these phones- that will use data right?--- and if we texted them would take even more- Not that we absolutely will- but does anyone know for sure?  Will this void the triple option ?? I can't find an answer- anyone? TIA

Honored Contributor

@sipp wrote:

HELP AGAIN!!!--- Finally got to the page (after many tries) that offers the 1 year for $45 (after the $5 for texts)-- BUT we have grandfathered in triple everything phones- I get that for the  $45 they're not going to give us 3 years- but what about if we ever need the data etc? Like what if we start taking pictures with our cameras on these phones- that will use data right?--- and if we texted them would take even more- Not that we absolutely will- but does anyone know for sure?  Will this void the triple option ?? I can't find an answer- anyone? TIA

@sipp 

Please tell me what I am missing here. Your original post, unless I misread it, said that your husband doesn't use what he has in a year. That and the minutes/texts and data keep stacking up.

Now you you are concerned that Tracfone won't give you 3 more years of minutes/texts/data instead of the 1 year 1500? 

I was surprised after reading your post a few days ago, that you decided what route your husband chose to take with his Tracfone purchase. Then tonight I see that there were new posts by you.

Since I saw yours is the last post before I started typing this, I had to read your post to see how your decision went for you. To my surprise it doesn't appear, as I thought a day or 2 ago, you have completed your decision with his/your Tracfone conundrum.

I know I am missing something or just not understanding something, about not needing more minutes. Now the concern is that you won't get "triple minutes that aren't needed". Somebody help me out, eh?

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sipp.....I would like to suggest something for you to consider.  I ordered the LG Stylo 4 tracfone when it was at a great deal for around $80 last year from HSN and need to renew my service for a year before April.  SO...when I saw the tracfone here for $60 with free shipping....  item # E-234742.....  I ordered it.  (It is now $65. but it is still a great deal because the same one at HSN is around $100.  Anyway.....this is what I did.....

I activated the new phone and got a new phone number.  Once it went through and 1500 minutes; 1500 texts, and data as well as the one year service was done on the new phone then I immediately called Tracfone and told them I wanted to keep my old phone (the LG Stylo 4) but wanted to transfer the minutes, texts, data and one year of service from my new phone to the old phone.  The rep was so nice and it took all of about 5-8 minutes.  Easy peasy.

You need to have your serial number to both phones which you should have, but other than that.....the Tracfone reps can transfer it to the phone you have now. I am NOT tech savy...but even I could do this.  If you need the tracfone number let me know.  Tracfone is automative answering so I kept saying (a couple of times) that I wanted a rep and they connect me with a rep.

The phone here for $65 (item # E-234742) is this....(LG K31 Rebel Smartphone).  I believe @hckynut mentioned this is the one he purchased.  Just a suggestion and whatever you decide to do... I hope you get your service renewed ASAP.

Tracfone LG K31 Rebel Smartphone with 1500 Talk/Text/Data - E234742

Respected Contributor

@hckynut ....your post just now gave me a "chuckle"...thanks for that.  I think @sipp  (if I read it correctly).... only needs service for one year and not necessarily the minutes, texts, data which they only use sparingly.  She didn't want to lose anything she already has on the phone.

I suggested in my post to her to do what I did.  (read above)..;.wanted to keep my LG Stylo 4 phone but I ordered the LG K31 for $60....it's now $65, but still a good deal and I activated the new phone...called tracfone and asked them to transfer the minutes, texts, data and one year of service from the new phone to my LG Stylo 4.  They did this in about 5-8 minutes.   Hope she gets the one year service soon whatever she decides to do.

Valued Contributor

thanks- that sounds good to me- so basically- the new phone is moot? or could be activated at some other date if huz is ok with that. Yeah- sounds good thankyou.

Valued Contributor

Yes- I didn't feel the need to reply to H. 

Respected Contributor

@sipp wrote:

thanks- that sounds good to me- so basically- the new phone is moot? or could be activated at some other date if huz is ok with that. Yeah- sounds good thankyou.

@sipp .....the new phone would be moot but I guess if you ever wanted to use it....you would have to buy a card or service from tracfone, but it's usually cheaper to buy a new phone (from HSN or the Q) because they do have great deals at all times.

After you activate your new phone (get the serial number to to the new phone and present phone).....keep both phones on when you call tracfone.  (they will have the phone number on a card in with the new phone if you need it).  They will transfer and then tell you to turn your phone off and back on (the one you have now).  It's easy. 

Also.....I used to have triple minutes, text, data also but Tracfone does not offer that anymore.....but that is okay, these deals (1500 minutes, 1500 texts and data and one year service) on a new phone are worth it to me.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sipp I will try once more to explain.  lol  

1)  If you or your husband or both of you have smartphones, you no longer have triple minutes no matter what you do on any phone.  Smartphones use a different system, but it costs about the same in the end, so just forget about triple anything--it's a moot point--as you no longer have a triple minute phone unless you have an old flip phone.

2)  Taking photos doesn't use data.  On most smartphones, you do have to turn on the data to send photos via text messaging to someone, but if you're going to upload them to a website, just turn on your wi-fi to upload them.  Wi-fi is free assuming you have wi-fi in your home.  If you do not, then you will need to use data.

3)  In my opinion, the easiest and cheapest option for you is to use the Tracfone website, add 1000 text messages, and then add the 365 service days.  As was pointed out in an earlier post, you could go back and remove the text messages if you desired to do so, and then check out only buying the 365 service days for $49.99 plus tax.  It's all added to your phone, and you don't have to contact Tracfone CS in any way, shape, or form.

Respected Contributor

@sipp ......Hi.  Just curious on what you and DH decided to do about adding a year service on your present phone.  I hope it was easy for you whatever y'all decided.  Have a great day.

Respected Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@cowboy sam , learn something new every day.  I'm one of the posters who wrote about adding texts and the 365 days for around $55 plus tax.  I had no idea you could then go back and delete the text order thereby only ordering a year's worth of service for $50.  Thank you for sharing that!

For a few years, I did exactly that @Ainhisg - I'd add in any cheap service to my cart, the additional option to add a year for $49.99 would pop up and I'd delete the original and just get the one year add on service.  But when I tried this last month, whenever I deleted the first purchase, it wouldn't allow me to purchase just the one year add on, so I went ahead and took the $5 for 1000 texts because it was cheapest and cost me $55 plus tax. 

I've considered purchasing a cheap phone (HSN had one for $50 not long ago) and trying to transfer the additional time and minutes to my current phone (as @kittykatkay suggested I believe) but was always too afraid something might get screwed up!  Eventually I'll need a new phone but for now, I'm fine with the one I have (and I still have plenty of talk and text minutes to last me a few years which is why I just do the one year extension).