Valued Contributor

Husbands one year SMART tracfone is due to expire so?

[ Edited ]

But he's never used all the talk text etc- because we don't really use our tracfones much--so we used to buy the regular cards every 3 months and our non smart phones had triple everything so we accumulated A lot that we never used up-- - BUT NOW we have Smartphones- and My husband's year is going to be up. We don't want to buy a monthly plan from Tracfone because we dont' use our phones (obviously) unless it's to say pick up some milk or pick us up at the airport when we visit the kids---( and which of course with covid is really not going to happen anytime soon)------

SO I see there is a YEAR card with 400 minutes for $100- it's white- IS THAT THE RIGHT CARD TO JUST EXTEND THE YEAR'S SERVICE??  I TRIED asking Tracfone but they want us to sign up for a plan- which we will never use MORE stuff- we just need to have the year's service kept active- CAN anyone tell me if that white card that I can buy at the grocery store that says 1 year- 400 minutes- IS THAT THE RIGHT ONE? because I don't see any other that says 1 year.- and the green ones are not for a year. TIA

Contributor

Re: Husbands one year SMART tracfone is due to expire so?

I have a Tracfone from QVC and I buy a new Tracfone every year (like an upgrade).  

This is what I do. When my year of service on my current phone is close to coming to an end, I check QVC or HSN for a new Tracfone offer (always when it's a Special Value giving 1500 minutes or whatever is available at the time) that would be good for another year. When I get the new Tracfone, I then call Tracfone and have them transfer my current phone number and all my accumulated minutes/data/text to my new phone. This is on top of all the minutes/data/text that come with the new phone. I check with Tracphone to check my current balance of minutes/text/data before I roll it over so that I know how much minutes/data/text I should have when Tracfone sets up my new phone with my old phone number and rolls over my balance of minutes/data/text plus the 1500 that comes with the new phone.

Did someone tell you that you have to buy Tracfone cards every three months? For me, I only buy additional minutes/data/text when I need to. I don't use my phone all that much so I have also accumulated a lot of minutes/data/text, and don't have to buy new cards every three months. I haven't had to buy a card with additional minutes/date/text for years because I get the new phone before I run out of minutes/data/text.

A year card with 400 minutes for $100 seems steep and I don't believe that's what you need to do. Happy shopping.

Honored Contributor

If you want to KEEP your existing minutes as a rollover, your best bet is the $100 card (there is also tax on that).     I've done this for years.....and I have thousands of minutes built up. 

I figure it would be good if I go on an extended "road trip"......    Right now, I only use the Trac as an emergency phone in my car, in case I have a dead battery or flat tire.

PS........you need to renew your service BEFORE it expires.    di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@sipp, if you have lots of minutes/texts/data and do not need more go to tracfone and sign into your account.  Click on shop and click on  airtime cards/service plans.  Scroll down to smart phone plans and find the $15 plan (it should be the last one).  Add it to your cart.  The $15 plan will add 500 (each) minutes/texts/data and 30 days of service.

Go through the steps to check out.  At the summary page there will be an option to add one year of airtime for $49.99.  Click on that to add it and continue check out.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Regular Contributor

Cheaper to buy a new tracfone- I do every year.  Your time will roll over if you do it before it expires.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

If you want to keep his current phone and only need 365 days added to it, the cheapest way is to go to the Tracfone website and sign into your account.  Click on shop and click on airtime cards/service plans.  Scroll down to the bottom, click on "extra benefits $5 1000 texts," then click add.  On the next screen, scroll down until you see "more for your device," and the first option is to add 365 service days for $49.99.  Toggle the no button to yes (just click on it) and then check out.  You will then have 1000 texts and a year of service added to the phone for $55 plus tax.  You can add minutes instead of texts, but that will cost a bit more.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 8.15.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 8.16.28 AM.png

Valued Contributor

@sipp - I just did exactly what @Ainhisg described last week for my husband's Tracfone.  I always buy minutes and service online from the Tracfone website via my laptop.  It's just easier for me.  Like you, I rarely use my minutes/data/texts but my husband is a texting fiend!  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sipp 

What you said in your post is the same way I use my Tracfone, seldom. To talk is the only way it is used, so data and text mean Zip/Zero to me.

ETA  Since I assumed your husband's Tracfone was only used to "buy milk and contact your kids", and it is not even close to similar to my use, I am removing the rest of my post.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@sipp.  This is by far your best deal.  You get a year of service for $49.  I use this every year.  I just hope that now that Verzion has bought TracFone, they don't change it.  As long as you don't need air, data or text time, you get some really cheap cell service.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Suzy Q from PA wrote:

Cheaper to buy a new tracfone- I do every year.  Your time will roll over if you do it before it expires.

@Suzy Q from PA.  No, it is not cheaper to buy a new phone.  Read the entire thread.  You're wasting money.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment