Honored Contributor

Re: How to tell DH give up windows 7?

@sissel 

Don’t go to 10 unless you are ready to buy a new non-Microsoft computer. It was the straw that broke the camel’s back in my case. I only regret that the back didn’t break years earlier.

Honored Contributor

@sissel  We replaced or12 year old windows 7 HP computer for a New HP windows 10.  I see no difference at all....it runs perfectly. I heard all these horror stories about Windows 10  and none of them were true.

Trusted Contributor

@willdob3 I'm curious.  I was planning to download 10 this weekend on my current computer.  There was a questionare on Microsoft's website to see if my computer could handle 10 and after listing all the requirements it seems like I have the right "stuff".  So am I wrong in downloading 10?

Esteemed Contributor

@chlema wrote:

@willdob3 I'm curious.  I was planning to download 10 this weekend on my current computer.  There was a questionare on Microsoft's website to see if my computer could handle 10 and after listing all the requirements it seems like I have the right "stuff".  So am I wrong in downloading 10?

@chlema

I would backup all data files to an external hard drive or the cloud. If you have a Gmail account, you can save 15 GB of data files and  number of photos to Google. 

Trusted Contributor

@Nuttmeg Thanks for the info, although I'm told I do not have any data files to save lol.  Also do not have a Gmail account but have Comcast for my email and I save very little on that.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@chlema wrote:

@Nuttmeg Thanks for the info, although I'm told I do not have any data files to save lol.  Also do not have a Gmail account but have Comcast for my email and I save very little on that.  Smiley Happy

It makes a nice secondary email account, if you ever need one. 

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I recently bought a new Windows 10 desktop to replace my old Windows 7 desktop.  I also have an iPad which I use a lot but sometimes it’s just nice to sit at the desk and have a larger screen when doing a longer project.  It was an easy transition going from Windows 7 to 10 and my new desktop is much faster. 

@itsmagic ITA!  We replaced our  12 year old HP with windows 7 last year with a new HP with windows 10.  It is so much faster....and  there was no noticeable difference going from 7 to 10 for  me at all.  

Honored Contributor

As others have said, Windows 7 is no longer being supported by Microsoft - no more updates, patches, etc.  It's not about the computer doing what you need it to do.   Our IT Dept at work advised us that Windows 7 systems still in use will be extensively targeted by hackers.  

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

In my opinion, it's probably okay to keep using Windows 7 as long as you avoid the wild wild west of the Internet. (The dark web especially.) For just normal web browsing at known and trusted sites, it'll likely be fine. Any major holes would have been found and exploited, then sealed by now. Most of the issues with viruses/malware these days come from user error and not OS holes.

A local nursing home was still using Windows 95 up to a few years ago. Long after Microsoft stopped supporting it. They'd commissioned specialty software that only worked on Windows 95 and didn't want to buy new software, so they kept using Windows 95. 

As for Windows 10, I've been using it for several years now and there's only been one glitch that's affected me and I found a way around it by that evening. It's as good an operating system as any I've used. I have mine set to do updates overnight (at three in the morning in fact) so they don't slow me down any as I'm asleep while the computer updates. When I sit down to the computer to get to work, it's all updated and ready to go. If I get a message that the computer needs to reboot for the updates to take effect, I'll either let it reboot then (which takes about a minute since I use an SSD for my boot drive) or have it reboot after I'm done using it. 

I don't really understand why so many people hate Windows 10. It's arguably the best OS I've used. It simply works.

@gardenman  .. I think you might be mistaken.  I would think it  doesn't matter that you only use the Internet  on trusted sites.   As long as you are using it hackers can get into your system.  

Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

In my opinion, it's probably okay to keep using Windows 7 as long as you avoid the wild wild west of the Internet. (The dark web especially.) For just normal web browsing at known and trusted sites, it'll likely be fine. Any major holes would have been found and exploited, then sealed by now. Most of the issues with viruses/malware these days come from user error and not OS holes.

A local nursing home was still using Windows 95 up to a few years ago. Long after Microsoft stopped supporting it. They'd commissioned specialty software that only worked on Windows 95 and didn't want to buy new software, so they kept using Windows 95. 

As for Windows 10, I've been using it for several years now and there's only been one glitch that's affected me and I found a way around it by that evening. It's as good an operating system as any I've used. I have mine set to do updates overnight (at three in the morning in fact) so they don't slow me down any as I'm asleep while the computer updates. When I sit down to the computer to get to work, it's all updated and ready to go. If I get a message that the computer needs to reboot for the updates to take effect, I'll either let it reboot then (which takes about a minute since I use an SSD for my boot drive) or have it reboot after I'm done using it. 

I don't really understand why so many people hate Windows 10. It's arguably the best OS I've used. It simply works.

@gardenman  .. I think you might be mistaken.  I would think it  doesn't matter that you only use the Internet  on trusted sites.   As long as you are using it hackers can get into your system.  

Hackers are constantly probing every OS. There's a new exploit recently found in Windows 10 by the NSA that Microsoft just released a patch for. Windows 7 has been out for over a decade and probed relentlessly by hackers. Any holes that had been found were already patched. Could there be some that weren't found in ten plus years of probing? Maybe, but it's more likely issues exist in systems that have been less tested by hackers for more than a decade. I look at it largely like proof reading a very large book. When it's first published, there are likely multiple issues. As more and more people read it, the issues that remain get fewer and fewer. If the book's been proofread by thousands of people over a decade plus, the odds of anything being overlooked are much less. Windows 7 has been probed by hackers since it was released and all of the known issues have been addressed. Could someone stumble upon something new? Sure. I'm just not sure how likely it is. People are far more likely to get into trouble by doing something stupid. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!