Esteemed Contributor

Re: How to tell DH give up windows 7?

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

Windows 7 users love(d) it.  Nothing Microsoft released was or is as good since then.  

I began using Windows when 3.0 was released around 1990-92.  All new releases were pretty good until Windows 8, but many users stayed with Windows 7. 10 has baggage, and glitches Microsoft hasn't fixed.

I'm also a desktop user wanting large screens.  I'm using a 24" and when it dies, my next will be 27".  No tiny screens for me. 

I'd advise your husband wait until Microsoft's next Windows release.  Then buy a new computer with it installed. 

I never would have downloaded 10 over 7.  Are they even compatible?

@Foxxee

I also like desktops and 24" displays. Dell makes a premium 27" display, UP2719D. It will display 1 Billion colors instead of16.7 Million.

I have an ultra sharp monitor like this one above in 24 inches. The panel is bright, you can adjust the text, and is great for older eyes.

Dell makes a 25 and 27 size in the UP Series. The small product is on sale for $299,and the larger one $639.

They changed the aspect ratio of all panels from 16x10 to 16x9. The picture looks like a regular TV screen. There are not as many pixels per segment. This was done industry wide to save money.

Most displays are sold to gamers and they do not read text.

UP series displays are good quality and you may want look at the a unboxing review on YouTube. 

Windows 10 is a final version. It just has monthly security updates and version upgrades.  A Microsoft windows upgrade will decide whether your hardware can handle the install. 

If the hardware is not compatible with an install, I do not know what a customer would do. This would make a good Google search topic. 

Esteemed Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

Why give it up?  The program will still work, just no further up dates.  I know people still chugging along with Windows 95/97, 2000 and in my opinion the best XP.

@qbetzforreal  ... Windows 7 will no longer be supported.  That means technical assistance and software updates from Windows Update that help protect your PC will no longer be available for the product.

Respected Contributor

@Boehm Collector  Yes, without support for applications and security patches, anyone using Win7 will become a sitting duck.  Computer tech sites warn that continuing Win7 is now a -- use at your own risk OS.  CNET has reported that you can bet hackers have been patiently waiting for such easy targets.  

I wish I could have kept my husband's old Win7 system running, but in spite of functioning well, I knew it couldn't handle the Win10 upgrade, particularly with the hundreds of (automatic, often unnecessary) updates Win10 has had since first offered free.  It's now disconnected and will be prepped for recycling.  

Honored Contributor

In my opinion, it's probably okay to keep using Windows 7 as long as you avoid the wild wild west of the Internet. (The dark web especially.) For just normal web browsing at known and trusted sites, it'll likely be fine. Any major holes would have been found and exploited, then sealed by now. Most of the issues with viruses/malware these days come from user error and not OS holes.

A local nursing home was still using Windows 95 up to a few years ago. Long after Microsoft stopped supporting it. They'd commissioned specialty software that only worked on Windows 95 and didn't want to buy new software, so they kept using Windows 95. 

As for Windows 10, I've been using it for several years now and there's only been one glitch that's affected me and I found a way around it by that evening. It's as good an operating system as any I've used. I have mine set to do updates overnight (at three in the morning in fact) so they don't slow me down any as I'm asleep while the computer updates. When I sit down to the computer to get to work, it's all updated and ready to go. If I get a message that the computer needs to reboot for the updates to take effect, I'll either let it reboot then (which takes about a minute since I use an SSD for my boot drive) or have it reboot after I'm done using it. 

I don't really understand why so many people hate Windows 10. It's arguably the best OS I've used. It simply works.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I still use Windows 7 and have no plans to change.  Granted, my main computer is a MAC.  I only do 3 things on my Windows machine and those are things I couldn't do on a Mac. At one time I had Parallels on my Mac which allowed me to have Windows on it, but when I did a Mac upgrade it trashed the Parallels and I would have to pay to have that upgraded too.  It was slow and glitchy so I decided to get a cheap Windows laptop.

I never go on the internet on it.  One of my programs udates via the internet, but that's it and it does it through the program.  That program is pattern drafting software and so far they have told me they have no plans to stop supporting Windows 7.  The 2nd program is my sewing machine embroidery software and it is native to XP.  No updates ever  and I don't relish the idea of installing the patches to upgrade.  The other software is EZWorship to do hymns for church.  There are newer updtes for that, but they won't work on Windows 7 so I told the Choir Director if they updated the church software they would need another person to do it.  However, the church is so behind on everything that's not a problem or a priority.  All of our equipment is old and in need of upgrades.  We're being force to buy new microphones and those are really expensive.  

I don't do mail on it, no surfing, etc.  If I download something, I do it on the Mac which has virus protection software for both Mac & Windows and then transfer it over to the Windows machine.

Esteemed Contributor

Just make sure the backups are all good.

Then his life, his computer.

Honored Contributor

My understanding is that Microsoft Security Essentials will also not be supported / updated after 1/14/2020.  So, if he uses it, there's another reason for a Win 10 upgrade (Win 10's built-in security is called Defender.). Or, he could install a third-party software like Norton or McAfee, I suppose.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr

@ValuSkr wrote:

My understanding is that Microsoft Security Essentials will also not be supported / updated after 1/14/2020.  So, if he uses it, there's another reason for a Win 10 upgrade (Win 10's built-in security is called Defender.). Or, he could install a third-party software like Norton or McAfee, I suppose.

Microsoft decides what hardware is compatible with Windows 10. An older computer may  not be able to handle anI nstall. 

Most third-party security programs will not support Windows 7. It is a good time to buy a computer and recycle tbe old system. 

Honored Contributor

@sissel 

Why would I do that? I still have Win 7 on our desktop and it does everything I want out of it. So new things won't be supported, that happened with Win95/Win98 etc. etc.

I couldn't use some older programs, I downloaded free versions that did pretty much the same things.

For me it's my tablet I use most often and it does a lot more, if I choose to use something new. I know! What about security?  You really think you can be 100% safe nowadays with new security programs?  

The newer the technology in this era? In my opinion, the more we are being watched, via those technologies. And some wonder how Amazon and online retailers assault you with ads after you looked for a hat on google?

I may go to Win10, but who knows when?

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

My laptop at home has Windows 7 and that HP laptop has the best built-in  sound (Altec Lansing) of any laptop or desktop I've ever had. It's great for listening to things like youtube videos and such. I've had it since 2009, and all I use it for is minor browsing. I'm hoping to keep it going, since I hate the audio sound from my Dell backup one.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004