Respected Contributor

How to restore my MacBook from a backup

I'm furious.  I imported some photos and they overwrote photos I want.  I know I have a backup but don't know how to restore my computer from the backup.  Somedays I still wish I had a windows Machine.  System restore was so easy to use.  If there is an equivalant on a Mac, please let me know. 

Respected Contributor

Re: How to restore my MacBook from a backup

Problem solved.  Thanks anyway. 

Honored Contributor

glb613 wrote:

Hi, @glb613!  I just now saw this thread.  Did you find your missing photos without a restore, or did you end up needing to restore them?  I hate to think photos are being overwritten.   I'm glad all is well now!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

Hi, @glb613!  I just now saw this thread.  Did you find your missing photos without a restore, or did you end up needing to restore them?  I hate to think photos are being overwritten.   I'm glad all is well now!

OT- Missed seeing you dooBDoo- glad you're here!

Honored Contributor

violann wrote:

dooBdoo wrote:

glb613 wrote:

OT- Missed seeing you dooBDoo- glad you're here!

Thanks, @violann!  How sweet of you to say that.  It's always great to see you!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I found the missing photos on my MacBook under Photos and was able to move them to my iMac so things are looking up, well sorta.  While on a vacation to Ireland, my camera started running out of battery power so I took pictures with my iPhone for the rest of the day. That was the start of the problems. Due to taking some of the photos on my iPhone, they aren't in numerical order with the rest of the photos.  I'm also having a heck of a time adding photos from my friends to the same group and keeping things organized.  I hope once I do get them into chronological order, I'll try a batch change and see if that works. 

Why the iPhone photos synced with the MacBook and didn't with my iMac is still a mystery.  Somehow, the photos were deleted off my phone but at least they aren't lost.  I have several apps I've tried to organize my photos the way I want and so far, none do the job the way I like. 

dooBdoo, glad to see you posting again. 

Honored Contributor

glb613 wrote:

I found the missing photos on my MacBook under Photos and was able to move them to my iMac so things are looking up, well sorta.  While on a vacation to Ireland, my camera started running out of battery power so I took pictures with my iPhone for the rest of the day. That was the start of the problems. Due to taking some of the photos on my iPhone, they aren't in numerical order with the rest of the photos.  I'm also having a heck of a time adding photos from my friends to the same group and keeping things organized.  I hope once I do get them into chronological order, I'll try a batch change and see if that works. 

Why the iPhone photos synced with the MacBook and didn't with my iMac is still a mystery.  Somehow, the photos were deleted off my phone but at least they aren't lost.  I have several apps I've tried to organize my photos the way I want and so far, none do the job the way I like. 

dooBdoo, glad to see you posting again. 

Thanks for the description of the solution, and also for the kind words, @glb613.  I need to spend time playing around with my photos on my iPad, iPhone and iMac to learn more about how they work.  I believe, from chatter I've seen/heard, there will be improvements to this application software in coming versions -- I know that will be welcome, since I've read about a lot of frustration with the way images are handled on Apple devices.    I think they need to simplify Photos -- and iTunes, too -- to return to the original user-friendly reputation Apple used to have.

I'm so jealous!  A trip to Ireland would be wonderful.   I hope you had a magnificent journey.Smiley

Respected Contributor

It was a wonderful trip.  We planned the intinenary ourselves, had a travel agent book the hotels and airflight, rented a van and drove around the country.  My attempt at driving was not very successful.  It's a beautiful country and I'd recommend anyone who can to go.

When I was still using a Windows computer, I used Picasa to organize my photos.  I tried the Mac version and didn't really like it.  What I need is a program that will organize by date taken.  I now have a combination of photos from my camera, my iPhone, and 2 of my fellow travelers.  There is no way to organize numerically since there is a combination of image numbers.  If anyone knows of a Mac program to do this, please let me know. 

Honored Contributor

My photos are in date taken order in the OSX photos app and on my iphone. It does it automatically. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

@JAXS mom wrote:

My photos are in date taken order in the OSX photos app and on my iphone. It does it automatically. 

Are you using iPhoto?