Honored Contributor

Re: How to opt out of Amazon's Sidewalk

@IamMrsG ...I don't have any Amazon devices BUT can you explain how Amazon gets your wi fi password to share with neighbors?  Thanks

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   Echo units are synced/connected/set up to work through WiFi.  I imagine the other devices eligible for Sidewalk are as well.  

If anyone has a more accurate answer, please chime in. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@IamMrsG ...I don't have any Amazon devices BUT can you explain how Amazon gets your wi fi password to share with neighbors?  Thanks

They don't.  That's not how it works. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-sidewalk-devices-sharing-internet-neighbors/

Respected Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-sidewalk-devices-sharing-internet-neighbors/

@glb613  Are you reading @Mom2Dogs' question to mean Amazon will be sharing passwords?  I read it as asking how, via passwords, Amazon can get access to bandwidth.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@glb613  Are you reading @Mom2Dogs' question to mean Amazon will be sharing passwords?  I read it as asking how, via passwords, Amazon can get access to bandwidth.  

Did you watch the video?  Your devices access the Sidewalk network and use a small amount of your bandwidth to connect.  Your devices can see and access other devices on the Sidewalk network.  For example, your Ring security camera can see your neighbor's Ring camera.  If you don't want this to happen, you need to op-out before 6-8-2021. 

Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Did you watch the video?  Your devices access the Sidewalk network and use a small amount of your bandwidth to connect.  Your devices can see and access other devices on the Sidewalk network.  For example, your Ring security camera can see your neighbor's Ring camera.  If you don't want this to happen, you need to op-out before 6-8-2021. 

Thanks.....Thank goodness  I don't have any of these type of devices.  I find the ability of these companies to use our bandwith, no matter how small, to be wrong.

Honored Contributor

Just another reason why I dont like Amazon and also feel Alexa is also intrusive......

Alexa vs. Cat - YouTube

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

Anyone know what will happen with devices that will be set up after the 8th? I have a Show that is waiting for me to install. Should I install now and opt out or wait until after the 8th? 

Won't they ever leave us alone?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@glb613 wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@glb613 @If I don't opt out by June 8 does this mean I can never opt out?

Also, what happens if I don't have my echos show plugged into an electric outlet? Will my wife still show up with other echo users?

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@IamMrsG wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@glb613 @If I don't opt out by June 8 does this mean I can never opt out?

Also, what happens if I don't have my echos show plugged into an electric outlet? Will my wife still show up with other echo users?

I'm not sure what will happen.  No device can connect is it doesn't have any power.  If it runs on a battery, you'll need to turn it off.  I checked my Ring app and the devices which will automatically connect are the security cameras and not the doorbell. 

I hope there is significant backlash to Amazon about this.  Big Tech needs to be accountable for what they do or try to do.  To have this be an automatic joining is wrong on so many levels.  I have signed up for Nextdoor and Neighbors which allows people to share information.  But, sharing security cameras and Alexa devices on a network is not acceptable to me.