Trusted Contributor

Re: How to dispose of a computer

@glb613 I agree. If there was not a problem with the harddrive, I would remove it and reuse it myself. I have a couple of drives that I simply purchased external cases for so I could get to any files on them that I wanted. 

On the other hand, if the hard drive failed and it was time to replace the computer. I would remove the harddrive before sending the computer off to be recycled. The right expert can retrive data from most any drive, So I'd be inclined to either store the drive securely or physically destroy it if there was important data that others could use on the drive.

Respected Contributor

wrote:

@glb613 I agree. If there was not a problem with the harddrive, I would remove it and reuse it myself. I have a couple of drives that I simply purchased external cases for so I could get to any files on them that I wanted. 

On the other hand, if the hard drive failed and it was time to replace the computer. I would remove the harddrive before sending the computer off to be recycled. The right expert can retrive data from most any drive, So I'd be inclined to either store the drive securely or physically destroy it if there was important data that others could use on the drive.

I'm willing to bet a failed hard drive is not the reason for getting a new computer.  If it is a failed drive, you simply install a new one and reinstall anything.I agree, a failed drive shuld be destroyed because it can't be scrubbed or rewritten multiple time to erase the data. 

I've known people and read posts online where people get their computers so infected, they junk them and buy new.  Since we really should have multiple backups on multiple devices, reusing your old hard drive is smart and inexpensive.  Unfortunatley, too many people treat computers and other electronics as disposable. 

Respected Contributor

Oh geez....well everyone may well have all my info+photos+videos from long ago as I did not remove my HD.....Geek Squad kept one pc+HD from Asus and gave me some goof story why I could not have it back...that was several years ago....

I sent one pc back a few months ago, but Carbonite had begun to restore my files... and I forgot about it before I returned it.

Too late to worry at this point. I should have put some real hottie 19yr.old woman's photo and put my name on it, lol....give em something to talk about...I hope it's illegal for all my info to be passed around.....life is too short. Glad I read this.

Got to flag this to keep it handySmiley Very Happy

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

I can't get the screw out of where the harddrive is.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

wrote:

I can't get the screw out of where the harddrive is.

That complicates matters a bit. A drop of oil (any kind of oil, but a thinner one is best) where the screw meets the hard drive might make removing the screw easier.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

How do you remove the hard drive from an older Apple laptop?

Honored Contributor

i took two laptops to best buy the other day to be recycled. i asked them to remove the hard drives for me. they did and now i can smash them or run them over.....whichever i choose. lol

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein