Contributor

I made a purchase using safari on my pc yesterday because my IE is too old.  Would anyone please let me know how secure is safari on PC?  will my credit card number be more vulnerable to be stolen online?  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

Re: How secure is Safari on PC?

The security you need to worry about is the site where you are shopping.  Did you see the https before the web address?  Here is some additional information:

https://www.google.com/search?q=https&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=difference+between+http+and+https

Esteemed Contributor

chgogirl wrote:version

I made a purchase using safari on my pc yesterday because my IE is too old.  Would anyone please let me know how secure is safari on PC?  will my credit card number be more vulnerable to be stolen online?  Thanks.

This product has been discontinued by Apple for Windows. http://9to5mac.com/2013/09/19/farewell-windows-safari-as-apple-excludes-from-icloud-bookmark-sync/

You need to find a updated browser for your version  of windows.

Occasional Contributor

Don't use Safari, there are lots of problems..........use another....yes it is secure, but you have to really know the ins and outs..........and it is NOT user friendly. 

Honored Contributor

After you check things out, I would substitute the following user-friendly browsers for IE, and would download two of these programs so you have a backup:

*Google Chrome 

*Opera

*Mozilla Firefox

Honored Contributor

If you have an Apple laptop or computer, try the relatively new (Feb, 2015, I think) version of Safari called Duck Duck Go. It doesn't store your browsing history. 

Or you could Pick up QVC's Surf Easy product which is a VPN (Virtual Private Network). I ran it by the Creatives at my local Apple store and they said it was fine. lol, they were sort of intrigued by it because they hadn't heard of it before. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

bebe777 wrote:

If you have an Apple laptop or computer, try the relatively new (Feb, 2015, I think) version of Safari called Duck Duck Go. It doesn't store your browsing history. 

Or you could Pick up QVC's Surf Easy product which is a VPN (Virtual Private Network). I ran it by the Creatives at my local Apple store and they said it was fine. lol, they were sort of intrigued by it because they hadn't heard of it before. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

@bebe777DuckDuckGo has been around since about 2008 and isn't a browser (browsers include: IE, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.), it's a search engine (search engines include:  Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.) and it has no affiliation with Apple or Apple's Safari browser other than that they offer it as one of the optional default search engines.   I often recommend DuckDuckGo to those who don't like having their browsing information tracked, by the way so I'm glad you mentioned it.Smiley

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

GeeDee wrote:

Don't use Safari, there are lots of problems..........use another....yes it is secure, but you have to really know the ins and outs..........and it is NOT user friendly. 

@GeeDee, Safari is a good browser and has no more problems than other browsers...  but as @Nuttmeg mentioned it's no longer supported for Windows.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

feline groovy wrote:

After you check things out, I would substitute the following user-friendly browsers for IE, and would download two of these programs so you have a backup:

*Google Chrome 

*Opera

*Mozilla Firefox

@feline groovy, I agree it's a good idea to have at least 2 browsers installed (and always updated to current versions) for troubleshooting problems.  I'd be careful with the Opera browser only because some websites aren't compatible with it (QVC.com doesn't support Opera, for example).  If a site doesn't support the browser, it might work in some ways but not in others and the site tech folks won't provide any assistance.

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@bebe777 wrote:

-- bebe Smiley Happy

@bebe777DuckDuckGo has been around since about 2008 and isn't a browser (browsers include: IE, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, etc.), it's a search engine (search engines include:  Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.) and it has no affiliation with Apple or Apple's Safari browser other than that they offer it as one of the optional default search engines.   I often recommend DuckDuckGo to those who don't like having their browsing information tracked, by the way so I'm glad you mentioned it.Smiley

@dooBdoo thanks so much for correcting what I said.Smiley Happy I'm trying to learn more about my Macbook AIr by taking lessons at the Apple store. lol, there's so much to learn. Thanks again for explaining the difference. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy