Honored Contributor

Re: How old is your iphone?

[ Edited ]

@geezerette wrote:

@dooBdoo 

I’m another 6S+ user and my phone works fine too. I don’t use it for much except texting, a few calls and a bit of internet and checking mail.

But lack of security updates is what concerns me too.  The 6 is the oldest model that will be able to update to iOS 13 shortly.  That means that when the next big iOS update after that comes, it will most likely be left out.  Even though I don’t use my phone for everything like some people do, I’m reluctant to have one that won’t update, strictly for security reasons.  Especially when it’s synced with my iPad.  

What I’d really like is a basic iPhone (and iPad) without all the fancy bells and whistles and the fancy price tag.  I don’t use most of the features on either.

I am going to get the new iPad when it’s available in the next few weeks because my iPad is no longer updateable and it’s what I use instead of a computer now.  I don’t want to be shopping or accessing any accounts with an outdated operating system.

@geezerette,   I, too, prefer the simpler, more basic mobile Apple devices.   They tend to work well for years and years, but I feel strongly that it's important to have the security updates so I use my old iPhone 5 sparingly for anything online (iPad 6 and iMac for just about 100% online access).    You make a salient point about syncing older devices with newer ones (or with iCloud).   You’ll be able to update your phone for awhile to come, so that’s a good thing.😊

​               Apple’s compatibility list for the new iOS 13 for iPhones and the ​new iPadOS for iPads has been updated to include some older models.   Here’s the latest listing from their website:

iPhones and iPod​ that will support  iOS 13​:

iPhone 11
iPhone 11 Pro
iPhone 11 Pro Max
iPhone XS
iPhone XS Max
iPhone XR
iPhone X
iPhone 8
iPhone 8 Plus
iPhone 7
iPhone 7 Plus
iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s Plus
iPhone SE
iPod touch (7th generation)

iPads that will support​​ iPadOS:

12.9-inch iPad Pro
11-inch iPad Pro
10.5-inch iPad Pro
9.7-inch iPad Pro
iPad (7th generation)
iPad (6th generation)
iPad (5th generation)
iPad mini (5th generation)
iPad mini 4
iPad Air (3rd generation)
iPad Air 2

(source:  apple.com/ios/ios-13/  and  apple.com/ipados/ )

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Scooby Doo,  I think I win with the oldest iPhone (so far, at least)!🙃   My iPhone 5 (purchased in 2012) iOS 10.3.4 has been a real workhorse, no problems and still working fine.   My only concern is the incompatibility with iOS 11.x and later and less in the way of security updates, and I'm keenly aware of that.   It certainly has paid for itself in 7 years, and then some.   I'm watching the offers for these new models with interest!

@dooBdoo 

I’m another 6S+ user and my phone works fine too. I don’t use it for much except texting, a few calls and a bit of internet and checking mail.

But lack of security updates is what concerns me too.  The 6 is the oldest model that will be able to update to iOS 13 shortly.  That means that when the next big iOS update after that comes, it will most likely be left out.  Even though I don’t use my phone for everything like some people do, I’m reluctant to have one that won’t update, strictly for security reasons.  Especially when it’s synced with my iPad.  

What I’d really like is a basic iPhone (and iPad) without all the fancy bells and whistles and the fancy price tag.  I don’t use most of the features on either.

I am going to get the new iPad when it’s available in the next few weeks because my iPad is no longer updateable and it’s what I use instead of a computer now.  I don’t want to be shopping or accessing any accounts with an outdated operating system.

@geezerette 

Did not know about the 6 being the oldest out there that will update. I know someone that is still using a four.  Also, not comfortable with having one that will not update. I guess when that time comes I will push myself up to a 7. Security is important to me, since I do use my phone frequently, for multiple things. 

Verizon  is retiring their 3G, and older non-HD VoLite-4G networks. The company has given customers a one year extension.  The date is unclear. This will affect Tracfones using VZW networks.

There is list of  phones online, that will not work after the change. My Note 5 is safe for a while. Your friend may lose the use of her phone.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Scooby Doo,  I think I win with the oldest iPhone (so far, at least)!🙃   My iPhone 5 (purchased in 2012) iOS 10.3.4 has been a real workhorse, no problems and still working fine.   My only concern is the incompatibility with iOS 11.x and later and less in the way of security updates, and I'm keenly aware of that.   It certainly has paid for itself in 7 years, and then some.   I'm watching the offers for these new models with interest!

@dooBdoo 

@geezerette 

Did not know about the 6 being the oldest out there that will update. I know someone that is still using a four.  Also, not comfortable with having one that will not update. I guess when that time comes I will push myself up to a 7. Security is important to me, since I do use my phone frequently, for multiple things. 

@icezeus 

Do check the list of updateable devices.  (@dooBdoo has posted a good one in this thread.)  My information was from a while ago when Apple was still being a bit cagey about which phones would accept the new update.  

I confess that once I found out mine was okay, I quit checking the newest news on them!☺️

Esteemed Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I have an iphone 6s that working for me.  I was in a T Mobile store a couple of weeks ago and the sales clerk said that he doesn't see many of them any more and that they have quit working for most people.  Mine doesn't get heavy use, so maybe that's why it still works, although the battery doesn't hold a charge like it once did.  Maybe he just wanted to sell a phone.  Anyway, the newest phone is coming out Friday and I've been looking at them.  I have sticker shock because my GD used to work for Verizon and we got deep discounts on phones.  The camera on the new phone is the selling point for me.  I know that at some point mine won't be supported any longer and maybe I'll just ride it out.  Decisions decisions.

@Scooby Doo 

He was giving you a sales pitch!  My 6s still works fine and unlike some of the previous posters, I have to say that it does get pretty heavy use.  It's been dropped a bunch of times, and when it was fairly new it took a swim in a toilet.  I grabbed it out, dried the outside and kept it in a bag of rice for 48 hours.  Thankfully it survived and has given me years of service.  A few months ago I had the battery replaced at the Apple store because it wasn't holding a charge well.  The price was reasonable, and the phone was then good as new.  I won't replace it until it no longer supports Apple updates (which might not be that far away).

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

i have a 5S which is working just fine - although I'm sure it soon will need to be replaced as it will no longer get updates - which is what happened with my 3 - which I was very happy with also.

I do not like the larger size of the current phones.  The 3 was big enough for me and the 5 is as big as I want in a phone.  I have a tablet for reading and movies so I don't need or want a phone for that purpose.

I hear that others are also looking for smaller phones and that there may be one in the future so I'm hoping to wait to upgrade.

Esteemed Contributor

Apple does not upgrade your phone? I had a moto phone that I upgraded after a year to a Samsung phone for nothing from T-mobil. I also had the same deal with AT&T only it was after 6 months a free phone and upgrade. Tsk, Tsk Glad I am a android girl and not with Apple.Woman Surprised

Respected Contributor

I have an iphone se, have only had it about 2 years and I liked it because it's the smallest I could get.  The cameras good and reception is great so I'm keeping it til it doesn't work anymore.

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

I have an iphone se, have only had it about 2 years and I liked it because it's the smallest I could get.  The cameras good and reception is great so I'm keeping it til it doesn't work anymore.

@Tyak  I have an Ipad3 which is about 7 years old. It works fine. I am also keeping it till it doesn’t work anymore.

Honored Contributor

Just saw this thread.  I have an iphone 6 and am starting to think about getting a new one.  

I just took a look at the Apple store and the choices are too confusing to me on screen.  I'm going to have to go look in person.  I know the 11 comes out next week, but they're listing the 8, which I'm not interested in, the XR, the 11 and the 11 Pro.

I use my phone quite a bit, but I'm more of an ipad user.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@Scooby Doo :  In my family of three adults none of us has ever used an iphone; we all have Samsung late model phones and only my Son's phone is going to need replacement soon.  Because of the prices of good smartphones is now officially ridiculous (Androids and Apple) so we are pretty sure we'll buy refurbished phones from Amazon ($200-$400) and then we won't have to get a new contract, pay for insurance,etc.  We will probably buy Samsung but could get LG or Huiwei.  Within last couple of years we have travelled to both China and Vietnam, in both places everyone has cell phones (cost well under $100 and their monthly fees are under $25.  In other words, we are (once again) being ripped off by these high prices that others don't pay.