Honored Contributor

Re: How do you listen to internet radio?

@Lilysmom 

I have an iPhone and use Pandora. I’m usually connected to WiFi and it doesn’t use data that way. I also have Amazon Prime Music and listen to different Internet radio stations it has. It is similar to Pandora. Both use data when not connected to WiFi.

If you are concerned about data usage you should probably be looking for a different provider for your cell service. I use Straight Talk and have unlimited text, talk, and data (25GB LTE 4G then 2GB) for $45 a month.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I listen to Alexa that only takes the Internet to listen to Pandora or Tune in. I just say(example) play Mary Osmond Station on Pandora and it plays songs by her and a few other artist. I love the Patsy Cline Pandora station. If I find a song I don’t like I just say “Alexa skip song or say Alexa go to next song.” You can ask also who is singing the song playing also.

You can any artist and I have never found one yet that didn’t have a Pandora channel.

Love my Alexa. I don’t have the one with the screen but the tall one I believe is the second version offered by QVC. I paired my two Alexa to play everywhere so when one plays what I am listening to Alexa plays in another room the same.

I don’t pay anything at home and if I was in my car I listen to Sirius radio. Pandora and iHeart radio is free the way I do it. I

never have used data for any music as I am usually at home.

Honored Contributor

@Caffeina wrote:

TuneIn app.

I use iHeartRadio.

Both good for streaming!

Esteemed Contributor

@willdob3 @MKR14 @sidsmom , thanks for the reply.  I use Spotify free.  Haven’t checked out Pandora.  We have Sirius Radio in the SUV.  I heard somewhere if you do you can use an app.  Has anyone done that?

I would mostly use this walking outside or swimming where there is no wifi.  

One of these rainy days, I am going to figure what the best options for me.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom  If you want to use Sirius Radio with the app it usually is a small fee extra per month. I got it but cancelled the app part as I use Pandora the most and that is free.

There is bundle through Sirius that includes it and it has a free trial periodically. Just remember to CANCEL after the trial period or you will get charged for it.

Trusted Contributor

I use the app Simple Radio. You need WiFi or using your data allowance to stream, but it does not gobble up bandwidth. I suppose listening via data for many hours on end might kill your allowance, but not for a reasonable time tuning in. It’s free and it streams any AM or FM station from anywhere you select.

There’s a radio program I enjoy on WNYC-FM  (an NPR affiliate) once a  week at a particular time. If I’m away from home visiting my sister or a friend and nowhere in range of the radio station at the program time, I can pick it up and listen real-time on Simple Radio. 

Give it a try:

Simple Radio - Live AM & FM by Streema, Inc.
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/simple-radio-live-am-fm/id891132290

Esteemed Contributor

@gizmogal @MKR14 , thanks!  Will definitely check these out.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@willdob3 @MKR14 @sidsmom , thanks for the reply.  I use Spotify free.  Haven’t checked out Pandora.  We have Sirius Radio in the SUV.  I heard somewhere if you do you can use an app.  Has anyone done that?

I would mostly use this walking outside or swimming where there is no wifi.  

One of these rainy days, I am going to figure what the best options for me.  LM

I have Sirus radio in my car. The app is free. It depends on what plan you subscribe to.

Respected Contributor

@gizmogal  I downloaded the Simple Radio app to give it a try.

Thanks.