Honored Contributor

How do I keep videos from auto-playing?

I like to read news etc online but I hate it that videos automatically start playing. Is there a way to stop this on an Apple Mac? Thank you!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: How do I keep videos from auto-playing?

No, it's built into the website. You can always hit the pause button to stop the video or mute it.

Honored Contributor

Thanks, glb. I do that but was hoping there was another way.

Super Contributor
Respected Contributor

As annoying as they are, it's what pays the bills and keep the site up and running.

Super Contributor

Just turn the sound down and let them play. If one is playing and you would prefer to watch another, just press the stop on the one that's auto-playing. Slightly annoying but for now that's how it is.

Trusted Contributor

I changed my settings in Google Chrome the other day to stop CNN from autoplaying when I clicked into a story. You can go into settings, privacy, content settings, and check click to play plug-ins.

*QVC Community member since 10/24/2006*
Honored Contributor

Or, for Google Chrome...

Type or copy chrome://chrome/settings/content into your address bar and find the Plug-ins section.

Now, all you have to do is select Click to play.

You can also set permissions for specific plug-ins by clicking Manage exceptions.

Super Contributor

If you are using Firefox or Chrome as your browser, you can set that in the browser itself. Above post with instructions, for example.

If you are using Safari as your browser, there is a free extension that you can download. Its called Click to plug in. You can search online about it, but type in as one word (no spaces). I have it, and have no problems.

If your using Safari, you can also click on Safari preferences, then click security tab. Under web Content, you can uncheck the enable Javascript. Any online video that are built using Javascript won't play. (but remember you did this, in the event you click on something you want, and you get frustrated that its not playing, LOL). Just go back to same place in preferences and select it, then the video will play. Keep in mind to, that not all online videos are built in Javascript, so this process will only stop those types from playing.

The click to plug in works well. When you go to a site that has something, you see an empty box where that video is. If its something you want to see, then you just click on it.

New Contributor

I must concur, I hate that feature! Please please please stop the video playing automatically. I have told your sister station HSN the exact same thing however you just copied it….WHY ??? Nobody asked for it, it is definitely UNWANTED!!
It actually turns me off to shopping when I have to do other things besides read what I want to read and have to stop a video playing. TOTALLY FRUSTRATED