Valued Contributor

How do I charge wireless earbuds for Moto Optimo Maxx Tracfone?

I feel really stupid to have to ask how to do this, but I've never had wireless earbuds before. These are the ones that came with the above phone that I bought several months ago when HSN had a really good price for it. (Couldn't activate and use the phone until this week, so am just now trying the earbuds out.) 

I'm confused about how to charge them because the instructions say: "When charging this product, please use the 5V/1A charger. Do not use the fast charger, over 5V/1A to avoid damage to the charge case." What does this mean exactly? Are they saying to not use the turbo charger that came with the phone, and if not, what am I supposed to use to plug it into the outlet? Thanks for any help with this.

Trusted Contributor

Re: How do I charge wireless earbuds for Moto Optimo Maxx Tracfone?

Chargers are marked. Do you have any spares around? Look for one that's no more than 5V/1A. If you don't have one, connect it a USB port on a computer.

Honored Contributor

The earbuds use the older USB plugs to charge while your Optimo Maxx uses the newer USB C plugs. If you have an old phone/tablet charger you can charge them with that. That's what I do anyway. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the earbuds were. My Fire tablets and old phone chargers all work to charge the earbuds. You just have to be sure they have the right matching plug.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

1)  Use the white cable that came with your earbuds.  Take the earbuds out of the case, and charge the case without the earbuds in it.  You can charge using a laptop (like my photo) or you can use an old phone charger, and just plug the wide end of the white cable into the power adapter of the old phone charger.  The case will flash red.  When it is charged, then the case will stay a solid red.  Disconnect the white cable from the earbud case.

2)  Put your earbuds in the case.  The case will turn a solid blue.  The earbuds' lights will be red.

3)  When they are charged, the case will not be lit at all.

Here is a video that might help with charging/earbud usage.  It was made for the older version of these earbuds, but the video and comments might be helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWtPBVVALU4&list=WL&index=8 

index.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

I feel really stupid to have to ask how to do this, but I've never had wireless earbuds before. These are the ones that came with the above phone that I bought several months ago when HSN had a really good price for it. (Couldn't activate and use the phone until this week, so am just now trying the earbuds out.) 

I'm confused about how to charge them because the instructions say: "When charging this product, please use the 5V/1A charger. Do not use the fast charger, over 5V/1A to avoid damage to the charge case." What does this mean exactly? Are they saying to not use the turbo charger that came with the phone, and if not, what am I supposed to use to plug it into the outlet? Thanks for any help with this.

@qualityshopper 

Well, if you're stupid for asking then let me join the stupid club, lol. Seriously, though, good for you for actually reading the instructions! I just grabbed the white (12 inch cable) that came with the earbuds and plugged it into the first wall charger I found. I have so many and I'm not even sure which one I used. 

I'm the worst at deciphering comments, and not too great making my own clear, but I got the feeling you're asking if you can use the wall adapter that came with the phone (marked with the words Turbo Power) to plug the white micro-usb cable into the wall socket. In other words...can you connect this to this ~

Sony 1500mAh USB Wall Adapter (UCH20) - (Black) – Simple Cell Shop

I'm not sure that was your question but it did send me down a rabbit hole of trying to find out if the two are compatible and I still don't know. If I'm reading correctly it looks like it's worse to connect a slow charging wall adapter with a lightening cable because it's hard on the slow wall adapter and the time it takes to charge the device is increased.

As for connecting a faster wall charger to a slower cable, the newer components are equipped with chips that sensor input and only allow what they handle. This sort of reminds me of how newer devices can't be over-charged because they automatically shut off when the device reaches 100%. 

Have I managed to confuse you? I've definitely confused myself, but until I understand all this better I'm not using the the wall adapter that came with my phone to charge the earbuds. I will either use the USB port on my computer (as @Tgbtg suggested) or use one of the wall adapters I have that's clearly marked 5V/1A.

One last thing I thought I'd mention is that I charge my earbuds in the case so both are charged at the same time. I guess if the case needed charging and I was using the earbuds I'd do it separately though.

Now I'm going to go take an aspirin and try to forget that I'm a technoweenie. Smiley Sad

Good luck, and I hope you love you new earbuds! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@qualityshopper , did you see these responses?  I hope they were helpful!

Valued Contributor

Thanks so much everyone for your help. I truly appreciate all of the great respones (I especially got a chuckle out of @SusieQ_2 's comments).

I ended up charging them via my laptop, but turns out, I may not actually use them. I hadn't put them in my ears prior to charging them, so didn't know that, for me at least, they don't seem to fit properly. I have to really push them in to get them to stay. Think I must have weird ears Smiley Very Happy  I'll keep experimenting with them, but there's a good chance I'll end up giving them away.

Esteemed Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

Thanks so much everyone for your help. I truly appreciate all of the great respones (I especially got a chuckle out of @SusieQ_2 's comments).

I ended up charging them via my laptop, but turns out, I may not actually use them. I hadn't put them in my ears prior to charging them, so didn't know that, for me at least, they don't seem to fit properly. I have to really push them in to get them to stay. Think I must have weird ears Smiley Very Happy  I'll keep experimenting with them, but there's a good chance I'll end up giving them away.

@qualityshopper

Did your earbuds come with different tips to customize the fit. You can buy extra on Amazon. 

Honored Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@qualityshopper wrote:

@qualityshopper

Did your earbuds come with different tips to customize the fit. You can buy extra on Amazon. 

These are very much like the Apple Airpods where they're solid with no adjustable tips. They fit my ears quite well and are surprisingly good considering they were essentially free.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!