Honored Contributor

How can I get rid of this new feature?

[ Edited ]

I updated my iPad to 15.3.1 176D120D-CEE5-4310-83F5-734BAE315DC3.jpeg

I updated my iPad to 15.3.1

and there is a feature with the update that is annoying. I've looked at the Settings but, so far, I don't see one to turn off this annoyance. Anyone know how to turn this off?

I have these pop ups on the Messages, the email and Safari. They are supposed to ENHANCE my use. 👎

Frequent Contributor

Re: How can I get rid of this new feature?

I had the same thing happen when I also updated my IPAD. What I did was press the button on the bottom twice and all your recent apps will appear. Just push them up and they disappear. This should help you. 

Honored Contributor

I only had those in my email, and I agree--they're extremely annoying!

I did something to get rid of them, but I honestly can't remember what it was. Sorry.  

Honored Contributor

@Squirt60 @Thanks. I do know how to do this but I don't want them to keep popping up  even if it's easy to get rid of them. It's a nuisance. I was looking for a setting to just stop them from popping up in the first place,

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Squirt60 @Thanks. I do know how to do this but I don't want them to keep popping up  even if it's easy to get rid of them. It's a nuisance. I was looking for a setting to just stop them from popping up in the first place,

@Mindy D 

As of now, there is no setting to disable them completely.  But I suspect there might be in the future, since as I was searching how to get rid of them, I found many people dislike this new feature.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D@Squirt60@geezerette,

That is the multitasking feature called the "Shelf"

and at present there's no way to disable it.  

The 3 dots you see at the top of the app

indicate that it uses this "Shelf" system,

and the 3 dots are a part of the feature.

It's a complicated system -- if you search for

something like iPadOS 15 (or iOS 15) multitasking shelf

you can read the articles and guides.😊

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Mindy D@Squirt60@geezerette,

That is the multitasking feature called the "Shelf"

and at present there's no way to disable it.  

The 3 dots you see at the top of the app

indicate that it uses this "Shelf" system,

and the 3 dots are a part of the feature.

It's a complicated system -- if you search for

something like iPadOS 15 (or iOS 15) multitasking shelf

you can read the articles and guides.😊

@dooBdoo 

Thanks.  Yes, I read about "The Shelf" when I was trying to get rid of its pesky little windows.

Judging from the number of posts I read about other people disliking this feature, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a way to disable them in some future update.  I hope.🤞

Honored Contributor

Thank you@geezerette!  

I didn't see your last post, before mine -- I'm tapping slowly on my iPad while storms are causing the power...  

and my router...

to go off and on, so it took me forever to keep re-adding my auto saved post, and your comment wasn't there when I started.  
Sorry to duplicate -- I try not to repeat an answer or solution that another poster already thoughtfully offered on any thread, but oops! I did it here!🙃🤭😉  

I'm not a fan of some of the the multitasking features, either, but I suspect they're here to stay for the power users who want and need the windows.  

Take care, everyone!  Be safe and careful with the stormy weather some are experiencing.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

Thank you@geezerette!  

I didn't see your last post, before mine -- I'm tapping slowly on my iPad while storms are causing the power...  

and my router...

to go off and on, so it took me forever to keep re-adding my auto saved post, and your comment wasn't there when I started.  
Sorry to duplicate -- I try not to repeat an answer or solution that another poster already thoughtfully offered on any thread, but oops! I did it here!🙃🤭😉  

I'm not a fan of some of the the multitasking features, either, but I suspect they're here to stay for the power users who want and need the windows.  

Take care, everyone!  Be safe and careful with the stormy weather some are experiencing.❤️

@dooBdoo 

Oh, no big deal.  You explained it much better than I, as always.

Take care.  We had storms yesterday and a tornado touchdown.  The a/c was on yesterday and the heat today.  Snow/sleet/ice by the end of the week.  It's March!🌪⛈☃️🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo @Thanks. I didn't know what to call it so I can look it up.