Contributor

This is what i am thinking about  2

HP 15" Touch Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 2TB HD w/ Backlit Keys & Tech Support. What kind of luck do people have with HP through QVC.

Respected Contributor

Re: Help with buying a computer

All I know is people here often complain about waiting a long time for it to arrive.  I ordered my new HP from HSN and it literally was delivered in 2 days.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't order a computer from a tv shopping network, but that's just me.  You get more for your money in a number of other places.    The shopping networks will bulk it up with unnecessary garbage and 'give' you stuff that's just no gift.  Most of it is either stuff you won't use, stuff that's free anyway, or stuff that they say is free but it's not true - you get a 'free trial' for which you are paying but can get anywhere.

If the issue is ezpay (I hear that a lot here), that's no reason either.  Every manufacturer from which I've ordered computers directly offered 6 months or more, interest-free, payments.

Also, for a processor, the i5 is ok but I'd go for an i7 if possible.   There is quite a bit of difference in speed.  But, in a clinch (like if it's about the cost and you cannot wait to afford more) an i5 is good.

Respected Contributor

every pc was a dud here. go to  a professional electronics store like best buy

Trusted Contributor

Good advice here, and I agree if at all possible, go talk to the tech's at a BestBuy, or similar type store. And 'try it on for size' so to speak. Could you even get away with just investing in an Apple iPad for instance? Or do you need to perform word or excel documents, etc? If it's just to cruise the internet, answer emails, shop, Facebook, check out an Apple iPads. They sell them here too on easy pay too! Good luck.🍀👍🏼 do your foot research, as it's a larger money purchase and you want to be completely informed and satisfied. 

⚓️
Respected Contributor

@heyslick57 wrote:

This is what i am thinking about  2

HP 15" Touch Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 2TB HD w/ Backlit Keys & Tech Support. What kind of luck do people have with HP through QVC.

The ONLY way to compare and find the best deal is to look at the exact same computer at different retailers.  The computer you listed is good depending on the price. Go to HP, Best Buy, Sam's Club, Cosco and Walmart's websites and compare the prices. It has to have the same hardware or you really aren't comparing.  And also look at the shipping charges.  If it turns out the price at QVC is the best, go for it. 

I have an i7 processor in my Macbook and it runs hot when I do anything other than basic computing.  Another tip, always look for the vents.  If they are located on the bottom, walk away.  Heat build up is a real problem especially notebook computers.  It can cause premature failure.  Good luck. 

Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

Good advice here, and I agree if at all possible, go talk to the tech's at a BestBuy, or similar type store. And 'try it on for size' so to speak. Could you even get away with just investing in an Apple iPad for instance? Or do you need to perform word or excel documents, etc? If it's just to cruise the internet, answer emails, shop, Facebook, check out an Apple iPads. They sell them here too on easy pay too! Good luck.🍀👍🏼 do your foot research, as it's a larger money purchase and you want to be completely informed and satisfied. 

If those are the only tasks you're looking to do, you can get by with a Chromebook for a portable, Chromebox, or Chromebit for a desktop replacement, or a lower priced tablet like the Kindle Fires.

As to going to a Best Buy or similar store, you have to understand that their sales people don't necessarily guide you to the right computer for you, but rather the one that makes the most profit for the store/chain. They also tend to push whatever they have the most of in stock. Stores like that are great for getting a feel for the keyboard and mousepad, to see if they're comfortable for you, but other than that, they're limited in their usefulness. Even the displays can be tweaked, so what you see isn't always what you get.

Step one in buying a computer is to figure out what you need it for. How do you use the computer? Once you know that, you can narrow things down from there. Will a tablet or Chrome computer be adequate, or do you need a "real" computer? Then hit the big retail sites and read the consumer reviews. Try to find sites with lots of reviews. Something's that been reviewed 200 times and has 190 five star ratings is likely a very good option. A computer with one, two or three reviews is a lot iffier, regardless of whether the reviews are good or bad.

You can pretty easily spend $3,000+ on  higher end gaming laptop/desktop that has very impressive performance, but if all you use the computer for is simple web-browsing/social media an $85 Chromebit might be all you really need.

And don't get too hung up on performance stats unless you're doing high-end gaming or video editing. My $75 AMD FX 6300 CPU looks sad in benchmark tests against the best Intel CPU's, but in the real world (which oddly enough is where I live) it 's blindingly fast and has never made me wait for even a second on any task I've put before it. It's got six cores all running at 3.5 ghz and will be more than adequate for the next five to ten years. I could spend $2,000 to get a CPU that blows it away in the benchmark tests, but it wouldn't be noticeably faster in the real world.

If you want a bragging rights computer, then by all means buy the fastest, most powerful, best of everything. If you just want a good, functional computer, you can spend a whole lot less and get perfectly adequate performance. You just have to pick what's best for you and only you know how you use a computer. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

Well i did check all the stores, and this price can't be beat. The touch screen, and the backlit key board is what i had to have. I just do general surfing, but wanted a full laptop, as i have over 8 other devices i could use, but the laptop is better for using a sd card. I figure if anything is going to go wrong with it, i have untill Jan 31,2018 .

I know i would stay away from a Lenveno. I bought one at Best Buy, and 4 years later it broke, and not the hard drive, the whole computer, the lid just poped , and crack the screen was gone as well. So you can get bad computers anywhere.

Contributor

Well i got nervous, as i was buying 2 laptops, so i cancled my order.

Respected Contributor

@heyslick57 wrote:

Well i did check all the stores, and this price can't be beat. The touch screen, and the backlit key board is what i had to have. I just do general surfing, but wanted a full laptop, as i have over 8 other devices i could use, but the laptop is better for using a sd card. I figure if anything is going to go wrong with it, i have untill Jan 31,2018 .

I know i would stay away from a Lenveno. I bought one at Best Buy, and 4 years later it broke, and not the hard drive, the whole computer, the lid just poped , and crack the screen was gone as well. So you can get bad computers anywhere.

Four years is a long time to have a computer.  I wouldn't call that a lemon or bad computer.