Honored Contributor

Help with a smart tv and the new look

of many of the shows/movies. 

I never posted in this forum before, but thought this might be the place to find an answer for something perplexing to me.

Technology idiot, so please bare with me.  

Our TV died, and I couldn't take it any longer, and went out to get a new one this weekend. The TV that just died, was rather new to us. 1080p and we just had gotten upgraded with our DirecTV box to have HD capability for the first time. 

I personally was just overwhelmed and loving the HD and1080p.

When going to the store this weekend, there is almost nothing left in 1080p in the big TV's so we ended up getting one that is 4K (which is the same as ultra HD right?). Actually the box says UHD, so maybe not actually 4K?

Well, anyway, after setting it up, so many of the shows and movies look so weird to me. I don't really know how to describe it, but it's like the shows are live or something. Sometimes the people look like they are in front of a green screen and there is a weird depth to the scene. 

It kind of reminds me of when they used to broadcast live some older productions, too. The outdoor scenes are very realistic lighting, like perfect daylight, and the indoor shots seem to have the 'sets' looking fake. It almost looks like being at a live production at a theater. 

Not everything looks like this. And I don't have my internet connected to the TV, (at least I don't think I do). They tried to sell me a new expensive HDMI cable, but we just were upgraded to HD in August, so I am assuming my cable is suitable for 4K, but the cable itself doesn't say so.

Have I lost my mind, and it this the way tv is going to look from now on? Or can anyone tell me if things aren't supposed to look this way, what I need to do? All I can say is I kind of hate what I'm seeing in a lot of these shows. 

Am I seeing just some things like this because only some things have been filmed in some kind of way to be seen in the 4K or the UHD?

Sorry if none of this makes sense, but hoping someone here might have some input. Thanks in advance.

Honored Contributor

Re: Help with a smart tv and the new look

I am no tv genius but today my older lady friend asked me to set up her new 4k smart tv.  Everything was easy but the picture is not sharp and is "squatty" with black rim.

called her cablecompany for help. they sent signal and seemed to fixit.

Occasional Contributor

I was going to buy husband a new 75" big screen for xmas, we now have a 1080 73" that we have had for about 6 years, and it is connected with Dish Satellite. I too noticed that everything on the market is a 4K Ultra HD. I came home and started investigating the 4k generations, it seems from what I found that I would need a 4k receiver for the TV to get 4k at least from Dish, which would also involve me getting all my receivers for my 4 tvs thoughtout my house that are connected to Dish upgraded also, and that involves the satellite guy coming to my house and setting everything up. Also, most of channels don't broadcast in 4k yet, some on-demand movies I guess are, with more coming, but for the hassle, I think I'll find something else to get him. Also your cables need to be able to send a 4k signal too. Does anyone else have one connected to a HD receiver with no problems? 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

of many of the shows/movies. 

I never posted in this forum before, but thought this might be the place to find an answer for something perplexing to me.

Technology idiot, so please bare with me.  

Our TV died, and I couldn't take it any longer, and went out to get a new one this weekend. The TV that just died, was rather new to us. 1080p and we just had gotten upgraded with our DirecTV box to have HD capability for the first time. 

I personally was just overwhelmed and loving the HD and1080p.

When going to the store this weekend, there is almost nothing left in 1080p in the big TV's so we ended up getting one that is 4K (which is the same as ultra HD right?). Actually the box says UHD, so maybe not actually 4K?

Well, anyway, after setting it up, so many of the shows and movies look so weird to me. I don't really know how to describe it, but it's like the shows are live or something. Sometimes the people look like they are in front of a green screen and there is a weird depth to the scene. 

It kind of reminds me of when they used to broadcast live some older productions, too. The outdoor scenes are very realistic lighting, like perfect daylight, and the indoor shots seem to have the 'sets' looking fake. It almost looks like being at a live production at a theater. 

Not everything looks like this. And I don't have my internet connected to the TV, (at least I don't think I do). They tried to sell me a new expensive HDMI cable, but we just were upgraded to HD in August, so I am assuming my cable is suitable for 4K, but the cable itself doesn't say so.

Have I lost my mind, and it this the way tv is going to look from now on? Or can anyone tell me if things aren't supposed to look this way, what I need to do? All I can say is I kind of hate what I'm seeing in a lot of these shows. 

Am I seeing just some things like this because only some things have been filmed in some kind of way to be seen in the 4K or the UHD?

Sorry if none of this makes sense, but hoping someone here might have some input. Thanks in advance.

Every time I have purchased a new TV, I get into the settings and change what I don't like.  You'll find the settings under the menu option/button on the remote.  I've gone to Google and looked for optimum settings for "blank" (the name and model number of the TV)  and read what others think looks best.  I personally like my TVs to have vivid color, a higher sharp setting, more or less contrast, etc.  Please don't tell yourself you can't do this!!!  If you don't like the changes you've made, you can reset back to the default settings.  I've never used the default settings for any of my TVs.  I always change them to suit how it looks in my home. 

I also get into the cable box settings and change them as well.  I don't like for 4:3 programs to be stretched.  It fills the screen but distorts the picture.  To get into a Motorola DVR, turn the box off, press menu on the cable box remote and the menu will appear on the screen.  There is where you can change the settings so your HD broadcasts are 16:9, HDMI 1080i, 4:3 override 480p, stretched graphics disabled and advanced HDMI settings.  When done, press the menu button agan then turn on the cable blox.  Once again, if you don't like the changes you've made, you can reset to the default settings.  Good Luck. 

Honored Contributor

What you're experiencing is called "The Soap Opera Effect." It's caused by the motion enhancing/smoothing features. Give that a Google and you can read a ton about it. The good news is the motion smoothing, which is good for some programming, can be turned off to get you back to a picture you're more comfortable with. Read up on the soap opera effect then give your owner's manual a read to find the right menu/setting to change on your set, and you'll be good to go. And welcome to the electronics forum.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

What you're experiencing is called "The Soap Opera Effect." It's caused by the motion enhancing/smoothing features. Give that a Google and you can read a ton about it. The good news is the motion smoothing, which is good for some programming, can be turned off to get you back to a picture you're more comfortable with. Read up on the soap opera effect then give your owner's manual a read to find the right menu/setting to change on your set, and you'll be good to go. And welcome to the electronics forum.

@gardenman

I can't believe it has that name!

I was going to post in my OP that it reminded of several soap operas and they way their filming has always looked to me, but I thought that would sound insane and no one would know what the heck I was talking about! Now that I have a 'name' I'll start searching, and thank you! 

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman

I was going to post in my OP that it reminded of several soap operas and they way their filming has always looked to me, but I thought that would sound insane and no one would know what the heck I was talking about! Now that I have a 'name' I'll start searching, and thank you! 

Yeah, that's the common name for it. You'll find lots and lots of information about it online. TV is/was typically shot at 24 frames a second and with modern HDTV's often having refresh rates that allow 120 or 240 frames a second, some TV's invent frames to fill the extra time by comparing similar frames and building a series of compromise frames to fill teh time. Since they're making things that don't exist, it tends to give a weird effect sometimes. It's intended to make things look more realistic and smoother, but sometimes has the oppostie effect. You can generally get your HDTV to just reshow the same old frame each time rather than invent new ones which will get things looking more like you're used to them looking. Different TV manufacturers call the smoothing different names so you have to figure out which of the settings to change in your menu to fix it based on what your HDTV manufactuer calls it, but your manual will be a good guide.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman

Your menu may call it Auto Motion.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman

@software

@glb613

Thank you all. 

I googled the soap opera effect, and the first thing I found gave detailed directions to 'fix' it. 

You guys are life savers! The tv looks 'normal' now and I love it! 

I've used settings in my old tv's to change things, but I would have had no idea where to go with this one without your help. Took all of five minutes to figure it out!

This kind of saves the day, as this week has been one hassle after another. 

We are bleeding money this week. Husband on vacation so we are getting so many things done that needed taken care of. 

But so far, the brand new tires on the car are hopping like a rabbit (after just 24 hours on the car) and have to go back, the new micro cut shredder worked for one day, before the power button won't shut the machine off (packing up and back to Q it goes), got into an accident (hit in the rear at a traffic light) and it appears the girl that hit us has no insurance, and the weird look on the expensive new tv, (that we really didn't want to spend the money on right now) just kind of sent it all over the edge. LOL

At any rate, good to know one more thing to get the desired results from electronic items. 

Thanks everyone!

Esteemed Contributor

@jackpotwinner wrote:

I was going to buy husband a new 75" big screen for xmas, we now have a 1080 73" that we have had for about 6 years, and it is connected with Dish Satellite. I too noticed that everything on the market is a 4K Ultra HD. I came home and started investigating the 4k generations, it seems from what I found that I would need a 4k receiver for the TV to get 4k at least from Dish, which would also involve me getting all my receivers for my 4 tvs thoughtout my house that are connected to Dish upgraded also, and that involves the satellite guy coming to my house and setting everything up. Also, most of channels don't broadcast in 4k yet, some on-demand movies I guess are, with more coming, but for the hassle, I think I'll find something else to get him. Also your cables need to be able to send a 4k signal too. Does anyone else have one connected to a HD receiver with no problems? 

@jackpotwinner, I have Dish with a Hopper w/sling for my 1080 TV and a 4k Joey for my 4k TV.  You should call Dish and have them go over what you would really need.  I know of  no good reason to have to upgrade all your receivers.

As an aside, even for programs that are not broadcast in 4k the difference in picture quality on a UHD/4k TV and a regular 1080 is astounding. The colors are so brilliant.  You will be tempted to upgrade all your TVs to UHD or 4k but you will adjust lol.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.