Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help with External Drive - My Passport Ultra

@Deree

When you get your computer setup it might be nice to have your ISP install a router. Most companies give customers a combination product. You may have to pay. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@glb613 wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@glb613  Thanks for the link.  I tried that yesterday too but got hung up on Step 5 - looking for the Folder that contains my files.  I don't know how to identify that folder. I don't see anything that looks like my files from my Win7 pc.  I don't know what I'm looking at. Looks like I'll have to go to Geek Squad or pay my neighbor.

All of your files are located on the "C" drive.  Open Windows Explorer on your old computer, double click on the "C" drive and all of your files are located there.  There should be folders named pictures, documents, programs, etc.  There you will find your files.  If you're not sure what is inside each folder, double click on it and see what's there.  When you find the files or folders you want , either copy/paste or drag and drop it to the external hard drive.  If it was me, I'd drag the entire folder. 

Unfortunately I have only one pc hooked up hard wired via Ethernet cable.  No router. Physically it's not the easiest process the way I'm set up and I'd have to unplug this pc and wait for my Win7 to charge up. I do know what my files look like in C: drive but what I'm looking at in Passport is not recognizable as those files. They're not listed as Documents Pictures, etc.  I'll keep searching. I appreciate your help.

This has nothing to do with the internet.  You attach the external hard drive to your computer and transfer the data.  I'm beginning to wonder just how much you understand about transfering files. 

I know this has nothing to do with the internet. As to your last sentence there's no need to wonder. This is the first time I have ever attempted to transfer files.  As it turns out I finally did transfer them and it was much easier than any set of instructions I read over the past few days.  The problem now is that I only recognized my Picture files.  I cannot recognize my Document files. Also there are hundreds of files I'm sure I don't need but I'm not sure exactly what they are. I've already deleted 1200 recognizable files and i think there are a lot more.

@Kim yes I read about drivers. I'm not sure if that's still something I need to do or not.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Deree

When you get your computer setup it might be nice to have your ISP install a router. Most companies give customers a combination product. You may have to pay. 

Yes my carrier offers a combo modem/router. I chose not to pay more. As it applies to me personally I really don't think I need one.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

If you've come to a point where you just can't figure it out then maybe take your new pc and your ext drive to a tech place and have them help you. That won't be cheap but at least you will be able to move on to using your new computer.Woman Happy

I have a neighbor who is in tech. I'm planning on having him come over and will pay him because I now have a list of 12 questions about various issues to be resolved and I hope to have him delete all the stuff I don't need on Win10.

Respected Contributor

I know this has nothing to do with the internet. As to your last sentence there's no need to wonder. This is the first time I have ever attempted to transfer files.  As it turns out I finally did transfer them and it was much easier than any set of instructions I read over the past few days.  The problem now is that I only recognized my Picture files.  I cannot recognize my Document files. Also there are hundreds of files I'm sure I don't need but I'm not sure exactly what they are. I've already deleted 1200 recognizable files and i think there are a lot more.

@Kim yes I read about drivers. I'm not sure if that's still something I need to do or not.

I really don't know what you mean by "I cannot recognize my Document files."  Are you saying you can't see the document folder?  Or are you saying the files won't open?  

Esteemed Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Deree

Yes my carrier offers a combo modem/router. I chose not to pay more. As it applies to me personally I really don't think I need one.

@Deree 

I have internet and TV service from my cable company. I have been  buying my own cable modems and wireless routers for years. Please ask your tech savvy friend to find you  a router. A simple basic device does not have to be expensive. 

Trusted Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Deree wrote:

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Deree

@Deree 

I have internet and TV service from my cable company. I have been  buying my own cable modems and wireless routers for years. Please ask your tech savvy friend to find you  a router. A simple basic device does not have to be expensive. 

I looked at routers a couple of years ago on amazon.  I just don't need one for any reason.